• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac OSX wont update to latest Flash Player version.

Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mac OSX intel 10.6.8 will not play Flash Player. I have followed all the instructions, including "How to Perform a Clean Install" but Flash Player does not work. I have even checked with Apple Community site and followed suggestions regarding plug-ins, etc. but still it does not work. Quite niggled  because I dont have flash player on my Mac at all now, having followed Adobe's instructions to delete original. If necessary and if possible I would download a previous version.  Using Safari v. 5.1.9. 

Before uninstalling for the umpteenth time, I was able to provide the following information (to Apple Support Community) but eventually they told me I should contact this site.

2013-08-10 17:35:34 +0100 ---------- log start ----------

2013-08-10 17:35:34 +0100 All install checks pass

2013-08-10 17:35:44 +0100 User has 1 process that needs to be closed before the Flash Player can be installed.

2013-08-10 17:35:47 +0100 [install started]

2013-08-10 17:35:56.103 installer[23841:2e07] PackageKit: *** Missing bundle identifier: /Library/Receipts/ScanGear MP450 202.pkg

2013-08-10 17:35:56.636 installer[23841:2e07] PackageKit: *** Missing bundle identifier: /Library/Receipts/SpeedTouchUSB.pkg

installer: Package name is PlugIn

installer: Installing at base path /

installer: The install was successful.

sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

2013-08-10 17:36:12 +0100 [install completed]

2013-08-10 17:36:12 +0100 [install succeeded]

2013-08-10 17:36:20 +0100 ----------  log end  ----------   

Resolution with a single reply??? Somehow I dont think so. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

If you delete the ENTIRE Macromedia folder, the next time you launch your browser, it will recreate everything in it. If you're not comfortable with that, just delete the Flash Player folder. Then follow the "clean install" instructions and relaunch your browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your preferences folder ([user]/Library/Preferences) did you delete the Macromedia folder? In addition to the step listed in the "clean install" this will usually resolve a "stubborn install" that won't take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I dont know which part of the folder you mean!!

In my Macromedia folder thereare the following subfolders:   Flash Player, Security, Shared Objects, macromedia.com (underneath which s listed 'version .txt', www.macromedia.com (which contains a further sub-folder 'bin' and fpupdatepl. 

This is all mumo jumbo to me and I do not want to delete the wrong thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you delete the ENTIRE Macromedia folder, the next time you launch your browser, it will recreate everything in it. If you're not comfortable with that, just delete the Flash Player folder. Then follow the "clean install" instructions and relaunch your browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help.   YIPEE.......it works.  I have been trying to sort this out for nearly a month......wish we had met before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you finding your Macromedia folder?  I am not finding one on my Mac osx 10.6.8..  thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

maddiepov wrote:

Where are you finding your Macromedia folder?  I am not finding one on my Mac osx 10.6.8..  thank you.

It's in YOUR Library/Preferences folder. From the Finder menu bar, hold the "Option" key and click "Go". It will only appear in the "Go" menu while the "Option key is pressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines