7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 4:42 PM by Stephen_Spider

Converting HD to 4:3 best quality

michaelh48

I am working on a project that we shot in HD.  The client wants us to convert it to 4:3.  There is space on both sides to crop if there is a way to do that and end up with a clean 4:3 quality outcome?

Does anybody have any ideas?  I have tried a few things but everything seems to dimminish the quality.

Thanks, MichaelH

• 1. Re: Converting HD to 4:3 best quality
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Michael,

Can't gaurantee the results, that is up to your eyes, but here is what you can try:

Create a DV Standard project (NTSC or PAL as needed), and Import your HD clips and drop them into the SD timeline. Right-click on the clip(s) and make sure that "Scale to Frame" is NOT checked. You should see the blown-up center of the HD clip, actual pixels, in the Program monitor. Use the Adobe Motion controls and SCALE the clip down to where you need it. Export a sample to the desired format and check quality. Note that if needed, you would be able to pan the image side to side using motion controls and keyframes, in order to keep subject properly framed in 4:3.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 2. Re: Converting HD to 4:3 best quality
            michaelh48 Level 1

Thanks SafeHarbor.

I am looking for a way to crop the HD footage to 4:3.  I don't want to just shrink it to fit 4:3.  Do you know a way to crop the footage like you would crop a photo in Photoshop?

Michaelh

• 3. Re: Converting HD to 4:3 best quality
              SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Well now you've lost me. You say you want 4:3, but don't want to "shrink" the footage. All HD video is 16:9, so if you want a 4:3 image without shrinking, then you can add black pillar boxes to the HD image. When you said you wanted 4:3, I had to assume you were going to SD video.

Can you please share the final format parameters of the deliverables? How do you intend to view/distribute the "4:3" video?

EDIT: I should clarify that you CAN create custom settings in Premiere and/or AME and encode 4:3 ratio video at HD resolutions. But is would not be a video "standard", would be unique to your needs. For instance 1440x1080, with 1.0 PAR would be a 4:3 ratio. But you're not going to create a Blu-ray using that video.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 4. Re: Converting HD to 4:3 best quality
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

michaelh48 wrote:

Thanks SafeHarbor.

I am looking for a way to crop the HD footage to 4:3.  I don't want to just shrink it to fit 4:3.  Do you know a way to crop the footage like you would crop a photo in Photoshop?

Michaelh

Yes you can export the footage to 4:3. If you do not want to shrink it means you loose the sides.

What is the final delivery going to be?

• 5. Re: Converting HD to 4:3 best quality
                  shooternz Level 6

You are asking for a "centre extraction" eg 4:3 from 16:9

I would Create a 4:3 Sequence and place the 16:9 footage into it as you wish.

Then Create a Nested Sequence from that.

Then use Motion to scale the footage down to the range of the Top / Nootom of the frame.

You will lose edge of the 1:9 frame.

BTW - I dont think your client actually knows what they are asking for and will be surprised!

You will probably end up doing this again. Charge twice for it.

• 6. Re: Converting HD to 4:3 best quality
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

everything seems to dimminish the quality.

There's no way to avoid that when going from HD to SD.

The simplest method is to just export at the desired specs, setting Scale to Fill on the Output tab of the Export Settings dialog.

• 7. Re: Converting HD to 4:3 best quality
                      Stephen_Spider Level 3

I recently edited a 3 camera shoot that was shot in 720 60p. A 4th camera that was supposed to be the CU camera was out of focus the entire shoot.  As the edited project was mainly intended for sd broadcast and dvd, I edited the footage in a 3x4 sd sequence to achieve something closer to CU shots from the mid and wide cameras.

I created a custom sd sequence at 720 X 540, this allows 3x4 ratio while retaining square pixels. I was able to make pan&scan adjustments to the 720 source footage, re-adjusting camera composition by cropping the 16x9 HD image with the smaller 3x4 SD frame.  It added a little more work to the project, but the inital camera work was b-a-d.

720x540 sq. pixels exports naturally to 720x480 0.9 aspect ratio for DVD and mpg2.