8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 6:50 PM by A.T. Romano

troubleshooting with Adobe premiere elements

gary funk

I made a couple of still photo movie clips in picasa and imported them into Adobe PE 9 but there was only the bottom half of the clip that showed up.  I have done this before and never had this problem.  I even tried importing an old clip that did in fact work with no problems like this before but now it comes in with only half the clip.  Any ideas why this would happen and how to fix it?

Thanks Gary

• 1. Re: troubleshooting with Adobe premiere elements
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have been bitten by a bad MS Windows Update.

See this ANNOUNCEMENT:

ANNOUNCEMENT: Windows Update Causes Half of Display to Be Blacked Out

MicroSoft has issued an Update for Windows, that is causing problems with Displays. The following is from Talbot McInnis, who tracked down this problem, and offers a fix:

"MS bulliten MS13-057.  Specifically, on XP kb2834904 and on windows 7 kb2803821 is causing a problem

For us, it occurs when decoding WMV9 files.  Not all uses of WMV decoding are affected, but I confirmed that when connecting the WMV decode DLL to a sample grabber for RGB32 video, the frames arrive black on top, so that points directly to decoding internals of the WMV Decode dll.

You can uninstall these windows updates to resolve your problem."

There are several threads on the problem that this Update is causing on the PrE and PrPro Forums, so one can get more details. So far, there is not another fix from either MS, or Adobe.

Also, see this Adobe KB Article: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/wmv-files-corrupted-import-or.h tml

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: troubleshooting with Adobe premiere elements
            gary funk Level 1

Thanks Bill Hunt.  You saved the day!

Gary

• 3. Re: troubleshooting with Adobe premiere elements
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome, and are not alone. The PrPro Forum is full of the exact same post.

An Adobe engineer commented that MS was well aware of the issue, and was working on the "fix." That was about a week ago, and I have heard nothing since then.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: troubleshooting with Adobe premiere elements
                A.T. Romano Level 7

gary funk

Glad Hunt's pointing you to the Announcement at the top of this forum helped solve your 1/2 wmv display related to a recent Windows Update kb file.

In spite of the Announcement, many, many threads have appeared in the Premiere Elements Forum here at Adobe asking the question that you did and having their issue resolved by using the details presented in this forum.

In view of that, I am not sure why Hunt wrote:

and are not alone. The PrPro Forum is full of the exact same post.

since do not have to look beyond the Premiere Elements Forum to the Premiere Pro Forum to find users facing this type of issue.

Premiere Elements users have offered some great tips on the matter

1. For now, set Windows Updates to require notification and your approval before any downloading and installing (oldevhs)

2. If you catch the offending Windows Update kb in Important Updates, right click it and select Hide. That is supposed to keep it gone (nealeh).

ATR

• 5. Re: troubleshooting with Adobe premiere elements
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

The reason that I also mentioned the PrPro Forum, is that it is filled with similar posts, regarding the MS Update, and the issue with WMV files.

Also, in that forum, there are several Adobe engineers, who have worked with MS, in an attempt to help them get things fixed. We do not have any of that sort of interaction around here, though we do have a few Adobe engineers, whose posts are greatly appreciated.

Do you see an issue with that?

Hunt

• 6. Re: troubleshooting with Adobe premiere elements
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I addressed my comments to "...the exact same post" not to the numbers of Adobe Engineers who visit or do not visit a particular Adobe Forum.

So many valuable threads and posts on this matter reside here in the Premiere Elements Forum, and I did not want them and the people who contribute to them overlooked as seemed to be the impression by your omission of them from your comments to gary.

ATR

• 7. Re: troubleshooting with Adobe premiere elements
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, as we had a new OP, visiting the forum for the very first time, and as they had an issue, that HAS been addressed in this forum, the Photoshop Forum (as of Ps CS 4, the Extended version also has been able to do video, then with Ps CS 6, one no longer needed the Extended version), and the PrPro Forum, I wanted them to first know the answer, and then to be reassured that they were not the first. Same issue - three programs, and many users of all three.

I could have pointed out that the OP had missed many threads in this forum, as you suggest, plus the ANNOUNCEMENT, but felt that was not something that would be welcoming. After all, we want to welcome all posters here, and then help them. To mention how they missed other posts, plus an ANNOUNCEMET, is not very welcoming, at least not in my opinion.

Then, as I cited some follow up, that DID originate from the PrPro Forum, I wanted to assure the OP that he/she was not the first to encounter the issue, and that they were not alone. Plus, I wanted to mention that MS had acknowledged the issue, and were working on a fix. Other than my posts to similar threads here, where I have shared the Adobe engineers' responses, there is otherwise nothing here, about MS, and the fix.

I do things, as I see fit. I want to welcome all posters, and solve their issues. As you suggest, I could have pointed out that they missed some posts, and an ANNOUNCEMENT here, but felt that to do so, would be counterproductive. I consciously elected to not do so, until you brought it up.

Sorry that you have issues with my decisions, but I stick with them. I will continue to do, what I think is best, and correct for all posters here.

Hunt

• 8. Re: troubleshooting with Adobe premiere elements
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

No further comments are needed from me on this matter, my comments are posted and should encourage gary and others by being made aware of the wealth of Premiere Elements information in the Premiere Elements Forum for their advancement. That is an excellent point to be made to any new comer.

Like you I will continue to do what is in the best interests of the people who seek our help.

I will not post further on this particular matter. But I will post when I see it necessary for us to agree to disagree.

ATR