8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 4:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Backup Copy

i777k

I have a question about making a backup copy of Premiere Elements 11. I purchased the software via download link from Adobe, and I know that you are able to download the software again for three years after...I would like to have a more secure option, though, if my computer dies on me in like, four years. Is there a way I can make a reliable backup copy of the software myself on CD?

Basically, I'm worried that I will need to move computers at some point, and it would be just my luck that it would be in three years and a month, and I would no longer be able to use the download link in that case.

• 1. Re: Backup Copy
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You are allowed to make personal backup copies of your Adobe software. What you are asking about is a very good idea, and is highly recommended. Also, make copies of your S/N, and place that is safe places - just in case.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Backup Copy
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write your download files, and a text file with your serial number, to DVD... or CD if the files will fit (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

You should also consider making a full backup of your boot/software drive to an external USB hard drive... there are two kinds of computer owners... those who HAVE had a hard drive die, and those who WILL have a hard drive die... don't risk having your boot/software drive die without a backup

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

• 3. Re: Backup Copy
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

The case presented involved serial number and downloaded installation files purchased from Adobe online.

Are you suggesting that it is OK to back up an installation disc that came in boxed packaging from Adobe or an authorized reseller?

ATR

• 4. Re: Backup Copy
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. One is allowed to make a backup for their personal use, from the physical media, as well. The operative term is "personal." That backup cannot be sold, lent or used beyond the terms of the Adobe program's EULA.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Backup Copy
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Never tried it and never though it was possible from the Adobe Licensing Agreement nor the disc permitting itself to be copied.

Interesting.

ATR

• 6. Re: Backup Copy
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Because I store my physical media carefully, I do not bother to do so. However, with folk, who are not so careful in the storage, some have encountered instances, where their original physical media no longer works - scratches, fingerprints, etc. In some cases, they have been able to use ImgBurn (John T's rec.) to make a Copy of that slightly damaged disc, and use that Copy to do the install.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Backup Copy
                      i777k Level 1

Thank you for the advice, everyone. I will try to create a backup disc then. I'm a bit "oldschool" in that I really prefer a physical cd to a download in the first place, so I'm glad it's permitted and doable to make a backup copy.

• 8. Re: Backup Copy
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm a bit "oldschool" in that I really prefer a physical cd to a download in the first place, so I'm glad it's permitted and doable to make a backup copy.

I agree with you completely. I have always bought physical media, even when prices for such went up. I have every Adobe product that I have ever owned (several dozen now), in my software library.

Good luck,

Hunt