7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 10:55 AM by A.T. Romano

Green distorted video when imported

celeookie Level 1

Several times I've run into a problem with importing .mp4 filetypes. It doesn't happen with every mp4.

They play fine in Movie Maker and VLC. When I import them, they are usually green with pink and very distorted. I've tried Rendering them and it results in the same distortion. I've tried saving them in Movie Maker first and that usually results in the audio disappearing but the video will be clear, plus it makes me feel very foolish for spending the money on Premiere if I have to filter it through another program first.

I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on a relatively powerful PC. i7, 32gb ram, win8.

After doing a lot of research I'm really not sure what I should try next. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Green distorted video when imported
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Does this thread, or any of the links, help you? http://forums.adobe.com/message/3080896#3080896

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Green distorted video when imported
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another, that might be helpful, and has some more links: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3091695#3091695

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Green distorted video when imported
              A.T. Romano Level 7

celeookie

Is what you are seeing a completely green field (maybe some pink thrown in) with no evidence of an image from the video. Or, are you seeing your video image but with green pink cast dominating?

Further, when the problem sets in with some of these .mp4 files, is there a trend where the .mp4 has the frame size 1280 x 720?

What camera is these .mp4 files coming from...same camera...same settings for all or different camera settings for some of the .mp4.

What are the video and audio compression.

We will be watching for your follow up to see if we can figure this out.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Green distorted video when imported
                celeookie Level 1

This is what I usually see when I import the offending files. The pink lines track through somewhat in line with the videos movement.

cap.jpg

The above video is 1312x1294 and HD captured through either XSplit or Open Broadcaster Software (I'm not sure which at the moment).

Based on what VLC has to say... Codec: H264 - MPEG - 4 AVC (part 10) (avc1). The audio is AAC.

I'd love to be able to fix this as well!

• 5. Re: Green distorted video when imported
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

celeookie

I need to think about this some more. But, what you could try is renaming just the file extension of the file...

mp4 to .mov

mp4 to .avi

mp4 to .mpg

mp4 to .m2t

mp4 to .m2ts

It looks like you have AVCHD video compression and AAC audio compression with the .mp4 wrapper. Those should be compatible, unless there is some sort of special codec involved.behind the AVCHD tag?

Conversion to another format may be the answer, but let us see. Movie Maker was going to be my first choice, but then I saw that you tried that and found it helped the video but not the audio.

When you are getting this pink green representation in Premiere Elements, did you say the sound was unaffected or not?

More tomorrow.

ATR

• 6. Re: Green distorted video when imported
                    celeookie Level 1

I neglected to mention in my first post that the file is also missing it's audio when added to PE11.

File extension changes:

.mov resulted in the same issue as mp4 with no audio

.avi resulted in a blank screen with no audio

.mpg resulted in the same issue with no audio, same with m2t and m2ts

I have the latest video drivers for my video card and uninstalled/re-installed as many codecs as I could.

I used Prism video converter and taking it from mp4 to mp4 and now I can edit it in PE. I don't personally think this is a solution but it is a temporary fix.

• 7. Re: Green distorted video when imported
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

celecookie

I suspect that conversion of that file is going to be the final answer. But, if you would like to post here a link to a Dropbox download of the file, I would offer to work on it to see if I can get it to be compatible with Premiere Elements 11 without conversion.

The free Prism only offers 4:3, but free MPEG Streamclip will do conversion for 16:9 as well as 4:3. More details on that later if necessary.

ATR