10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 9:04 PM by Steven L. Gotz

HELP Computer Shut off During Render

donttouchitproductions

Ok guys. Ive been dealing this for a while and Ive gathered a lot of info. Can anyone help me out?

I hit the enter key and 9/10 my computer shuts off. No restart. Shut off.  Only in Premeire.

So I was editing with a custom workspace and TV as my monitor for my laptop, so I read online to use the stock monitor and to use generic adobe editing setup. Didnt work.

The most common answer of all: your computer is overheating. Ok, so I put my lap top's edges resting on 2 books so 90% of the middle could be open AND had a fan going on it. Still happened.

I turned my 14GB of Ram usage for premeire down to 8, then down to 6, still happened.

If I make miniscule adjustments at a time and render each invidual change I managed to avoid the issue, but this got tedious.. FAST.

I performed an extensive special effects creation through after effects and it didn't shut off the entire way. It was a very detailed project with many layers.

I thought, maybe my project was too big so I continued the next scene in a different project, still happened.

This has never been an issue in the past. Ever. I have become so frustrated because I sat through a 10 minute startup/load of my project made 3 changes and hit enter and my computer shut off after about 12-15 seconds of rendering

Windows 7

Intel core i5

16GB RAM

Samsung Laptop

NVIDIA graphics card

Production Premium CS5.5

Other things to note:

I moved to a new city this past week, it started then.

I currently don't have internet in my new place until 2 days from when this was posted.

My computer is not overheating, trust me.

I swapped spots of the RAM sticks in my computer, not to mention I dont think its a RAM issue because of my heavy duty After Effects project I made

I have not seen any graphical errors from the graphics card.

I have 2 drives in my computer. C drive is ~150GB and my second drove D drive has ~220GB. All of my files are on the 2nd drive because Im out of space on C and I have hardly any files on there, all essential programs.

My project has always been on D and has never had an issue for months and months.

Does anyone have a solution? It has become unbearable to edit because anytime I want to watch something other than a frozen still frame my computer shuts off. Help!! Ive spent the last 2 years in production for this film and now I cant even edit it!! Its so frustrating!

• 1. Re: HELP Computer Shut off During Render
          donttouchitproductions Level 1

Also. It on occasion (while playing through a red zone of unrendered footage) will shut off then too. This most commonly occurs when playing back the raw stuff in full resolution. I have yet to have it shut off when watching in 1/4 resolution.

• 2. Re: HELP Computer Shut off During Render
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I had similar symptoms when I first got my new PC.

The issue was that my UPS was not capable of supplying enough power to my new, and much larger, power supply. It had always been enough for the old PC, but I have crammed lots of drives in this one and it is power hungry.

Are you using a UPS? If so, compare the size of the UPS vs. the size of the power supply in your PC. Because if your UPS can't keep up, one solution might be to take everything except the PC itself off of the UPS. No monitors or external hard drives. But in my case, I had to go from a 550A to a 1500A system.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: HELP Computer Shut off During Render
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Oh, and check to make sure your system is getting enough air. If your filters are clogged, your CPU might be running hot along with other things and that could cause a shutdown as well.

• 4. Re: HELP Computer Shut off During Render
                shooternz Level 6

Two small drives is limiting and maybe  potentially your  issue.

I5 is a lightweight CPU - maybe getting stretched a bit

Your C drive should have only the application (eg Premiere) and cache files (maybe).

You need at least two other drives to distribute the assets and export loads.

First thing - BACK UP YOUR PROJECT FILES to a USB stick or something. YOu are going to crash this system and project!

Clear Render Cache

Get some hardware or else...move project to a bigger system

• 5. Re: HELP Computer Shut off During Render

@steven: I edit on a laptop which in one sense does use a ups because I have a battery  in it that requires to stay in for the computer to run. But you talking about how everything butthe ups got me thinking. Would an extension courd to a fully loaded powerstrip be the problem? Im doing that right now. I just figured since I had a battery Id be fine, and I believe it still shuts off anyway unplugged. And where might one find air filters on a lap top?

• 6. Re: HELP Computer Shut off During Render

@shooternz: so are you saying that if I got another drive for my pc that may help? And if I did, do I distribute the files all over all 3 drives or go one by one filling them up? How do I clear the render cache?

• 7. Re: HELP Computer Shut off During Render
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, get a thermal monitoring utility, like SpeedFan, to see how hot things ARE getting inside the case.

For my laptops, I also use the Zalman Laptop Cooling Pads, which add some nice, large fans, to help the laptop out.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: HELP Computer Shut off During Render
                        shooternz Level 6

@shooternz: so are you saying that if I got another drive for my pc that may help? And if I did, do I distribute the files all over all 3 drives or go one by one filling them up? How do I clear the render cache?

I would almost guarantee an improvement with additional drives.  They must be fast drives with fast connections.

Media assets should be distributed logically over drives.

Using the Root drive for assets is a no-no!

Clear the Render Cache from the menu bar option for the Project.  I suggested that to try and save you some disk space and to freshen the project..

You are still left with an I5 processor which is slowwwww....

This issue is unlikey to do with power/heat.. but it never hurts to check.

• 9. Re: HELP Computer Shut off During Render

You all were right here and there. I have solved the problem.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION FOR ANYONE SUFFERING THIS PROBLEM.

If you have a laptop

Hit Enter and your computer shuts off, you have a lightweight CPU that cant handle that workload.

How I solved it:

Start up Premeire

Open Task Manager

Go to Processes

If you arent running anything else, premiere and/or something titled "AfterFX.exe" should be there. Make sure to sort the processes by max memory.

Right click the biggest 2 or 3 processes and click "set affinity".

If you have 4 CPUs unselect 1 from usage. If you have 8 CPUs unselect 2 from usage.

If you have 2 (heaven forbid) then unselect 1. This should be your solution.

If not, then unselect more on the next boot up.

NOTE: you must perform this EVERY time you start up premiere.

And much like Bill Hunt says above, get some laptop cooling pads and fans. Worth it and it should solve it.

• 10. Re: HELP Computer Shut off During Render
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

If your laptop makes any fan type noise, the intake may be clogged. What model do you have? It could still be that. The fewer cores you are using, the less heat.