5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2016 7:02 PM by ItsDezMan

Does anyone know how to print out a premiere timeline to use as a shooting board?

Ollyooky

I've put together an animatic in Premiere. What I'd like to do is print it out now as some kind of shooting board. So premiere could take one frame from each clip and print them out in order... Is that remotely possible? Does anyone know if there's a plugin that can do this kind of thing?

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Olly

• 1. Re: Does anyone know how to print out a premiere timeline to use as a shooting board?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can do that by taking a snapshot (Export Frame)

You will have to do them one by one.

• 2. Re: Does anyone know how to print out a premiere timeline to use as a shooting board?
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Ann is correct, of course. Unless...

It depends on exactly what you have and where you want to go with it. It is possible to just export to a series of images from the sequence. Then just use Bridge to find the exact frame you want and copy, or move it, to a different directory. Or use Lightroom and create a Collection. Then print them as desired.

I can't determine your experience level, so if you have questions about what I just wrote, please ask them. I don't want you accusing me of filling up your hard drive.

Basically, I am suggesting that if you have the hard drive space, export to TIF, or PNG or JPG. Just be aware that the files sizes can be unreasonably large. A TIF of a 1920X1080 frame just came out to 7.92MB for me, while the JPG was only 920KB. If you have the drive space, and it can be an external drive if you have the time to wait, you would end up with a huge folder full of images, but with Adobe Bridge, if the differences in the images were easy enough to see as you scroll through them, you could pick out the ones you want and it would certainly be faster than exporting each one individually.

One way to cut down on the number of pictures would be to nest the sequence, then change the speed of the sequence to 1000%. That way you get every tenth frame. If that is sufficient for your needs (kind of depends on the footage, I suppose) then you get 1/10th the number of images exported.

I am a bit of a lazy guy, always looking for the easy way out. And if you have the drive space, believe me, this is the lazy way to do it.

• 3. Re: Does anyone know how to print out a premiere timeline to use as a shooting board?
              Ollyooky Level 1

Thanks for the replies Steven and Ann.

I worked out a pretty handy solution in the end, that I might as well mention in case it helps anyone.

I selected the entire sequence (around 300 clips) changed the duration of all of them to 1 frame, with ripple edit option on (just select them all, and right click to get to this option). Then I exported a jpeg sequence.

You can either open that sequence in some storyboard program like Toon Boom Storyboard. I saved myself 200 bucks and opened all of the images in Picassa. If you then print all of them it has an option to lay them out like a storyboard.

Which would be perfect, except for some reason it lays them out reading right to left. But like I say, it's cheap...

Not sure many people need to do this but I hope it helps...

Olly

• 4. Re: Does anyone know how to print out a premiere timeline to use as a shooting board?
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is indeed a handy solution, I am going to make a note of this.

I make my storyboards in MS Publisher.

I put all the screenshots below each other on the left side, keeping room on the rightside for text.

• 5. Re: Does anyone know how to print out a premiere timeline to use as a shooting board?
                  ItsDezMan

Are you using the "Clip Speed / Duration" for this?