11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 9:57 AM by cc_merchant

Render use nothing of my computer

bebellmi

Hi,

Just wondering why the render are so slow in premiere pro, I took a very good computer I think 3930K hexacore, GTX680, SSD, 32gb of ram .... and when I do a render it use almost nothing for the cpu, and literaly nothing for the GPU ... Just Why ? And yes Mercury playback engine is enabled, I have the latest drivers...

Yes premiere pro can play video in real time with no effects, but as soon as you change the opacity, you tweak a little, it's over... you have to render every 5 minutes for 45minutes !

Please can somebody explain me this, it's beyond me !

premiere pro render.JPG

• 1. Re: Render use nothing of my computer
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Are you certain you have the Mercury engine enabled to use the hardware?

The reason I ask is that changing opacity on my system does not generate a requirement to render.

If you just change opacity on a new sequence, does your line go from yellow to red?

Are you keeping your effects to just those that are handled by the Mercury engine? And 32bit?

• 2. Re: Render use nothing of my computer
            bebellmi Level 1

Hi Mr Gotz,

I change the opacity for example on several layer. And I apply some heavy (for the computer) effect like Echo and when I do my render, it uses nothing... Yes Yes Yes I have the mercury playback engine activated !

I understand some effect are faster to render than other (optimized) but why the other don't even use 2% of the power of the computer during the render ? Yes there is some optimized effects, but comm'on ? who use them seriously ?

Does it exist some aditionnal card or something to speed up this ?

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Render use nothing of my computer
              bebellmi Level 1

And if it was very slow like this, but do everything in background would be ok ! But you can't do anything during the render. I Understand that it doesn't use all the core ! but why it's not optimized ? the render performance didn't progress since 2 years with premiere pro ... Yes Professionnal will not put effect in premiere pro, but how can you do if you have hundred and hundred of clips and you want to apply for each of them let's say a color or opacity setting ?

Please give me advice to improve this !

Thanks

• 4. Re: Render use nothing of my computer
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I don't have any advice. Perhaps a moderator could move this to the hardware forum, or maybe someone with more CUDA card experience can chime in.

• 5. Re: Render use nothing of my computer
                  cc_merchant Level 4

Your basic problem is your polluted system. You have more than 130 excess processes running, that should have been turned off before editing. All those processes steal CPU cycles and occupy memory, that should be dedicated to PR.

• 6. Re: Render use nothing of my computer
                    bebellmi Level 1

Hello,

Thanks for your answer but comm'on... what is the point to have multi core processor and lot of Ram ?

Ps : I tried to kill some process but still the same I don't go over 15%...

The thing is Premiere use more power on specific effects, but on the majority they are not optimized, meaning, first they don't use the GPU power, but seems to don't use even all the cpu power !!

I don't want to imagine if 3d people could just use 15% of their Pc for a 3D render !

• 7. Re: Render use nothing of my computer
                      cc_merchant Level 4

You should not have more than 50 processes running. You have 186 running...

what is the point to have multi core processor and lot of Ram ?

Absolutely nothing if you keep all those unneeded processes running. What is the point to have a backyard of 2000 square feet, if you want to fit in 5000 people at the same time?

• 8. Re: Render use nothing of my computer
                        bebellmi Level 1

At startup with killing everything I have 90...

performance 2.JPG

And still the same...

Is there a plugin or a graphic card to optimize this. I know some people will do the color grade or ajustment in Speedgrade or Davinci and it's great but I don't have the freedom in these software for simple thing than I have on Premiere.

If premiere could use my computer power all the time would be just great.

Mikaël

• 9. Re: Render use nothing of my computer
                          cc_merchant Level 4

Mikael,

If premiere could use my computer power all the time would be just great.

Agreed, but you do not let it use your computer power because you have all these background processes running.

If my car could use my engine power all the time would be just great, but that will not happen when I load my car with 6 passengers, all their luggage, use the roof rail for extra luggage and tow a very heavy caravan trailer up a steep hill.

• 10. Re: Render use nothing of my computer
                            bebellmi Level 1

cc_merchant I totaly disagree with what you're saying but I tried because I could be wrong. But the fact is I reboot my computer close everything I have and I can't go under this. So now I can say, because I'm 100%, It's not the point.

And with the same example as you. If I had the same car as you with passengers, luggages and so on, yes It won't go fast (Premiere pro) but on the other side I can Use the A/C, Use my motor to generate power for a disco party, charge the phones of hundred of people and so on.

For example if I run Cinema 4D on the other side of premiere, Cinema 4d will use the power available (CPU + GPU) but not Premiere if the effects are not optimized.

If you take the test of http://www.ppbm6.com/ I already did, Yes it will almost use all the power, and use optimized effects, but it's not 100% real life, So I'm just saying since, two years with premiere I can say It just use all the power on render with optimized effect, and export (with optimized effects) that's all. Without optimized effect It doesn't the GPU (I can understand that) but use just a little percent of CPU (I don't understand that)....

Mikaël

• 11. Re: Render use nothing of my computer
                              cc_merchant Level 4

If you take the test of http://www.ppbm6.com/ I already did

With what name or computer ID? What were your results?