3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 9:09 AM by Peter Spier

How do l delete all the text in my InDesign document in one go?

Mozzer27 Level 1

Hi

I managed to get the solution to my formatting problems for my book in InDesign CS6. I'm scared that with all the messing about something may have gone wrong. Is there a quick way to just delete the text - ie leave headers, footers and page numbering in place as well as the settings for automatically adding page numbers. I tried to sort this last night but the only solution I found seemed to want to take the whole page out and I don't want to go through all the setting up of headers, footers, page numbering and of course all the associated place holders. Anyone got a solution?

John

• 1. Re: How do l delete all the text in my InDesign document in one go?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

A lot depends on how the file is set up, but if you've used styles you could probably remove all text with any particular style using Find/Change. Select the paragraph style in the Find Format options, leave everything else blank, and change all.

If the headers and such are part of threaded stories, though, you'll really have a mess trying to put things back.

• 2. Re: How do l delete all the text in my InDesign document in one go?
            Mozzer27 Level 1

Hi Peter

I'm not sure I completely understand. The file is simply a 200 page+ Word document that was autoplaced in InDesign. You've been really helpful to me with this In Design document - thankyou. What I'm getting at is that because I increased the gutter size to comply with printing specifications after I placed the Word document for the first time - some text that was on page 100 and was the start of a chapter - and therefore had no header, now appears on page 110 in the new file which in the original placing of the text had got a header and footer on. All I want to do is delete the story text - ie the Word document that was autoplaced.

Cheers Peter

• 3. Re: How do l delete all the text in my InDesign document in one go?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, in that case I think I'd select all the pages except the first page in the Pages panel and delete them. On the first page put the text cursor in the text frame (if you didn't use some sort of master text frame), select all and delete. Now just palce the Word doc again, autoflowing to add pages.

If you did use some sort of master page text frame, delete the text frame on page one, reapply the master, and place the word file again.

I'd do this on a copy for safety.