8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 7:04 AM by Golfish78

Backup Catalog

Golfish78

I cannot backup my catalog in Premier Elements 11.  It stops at 68%  when calculating media size.  What can I do to get past this block?

• 1. Re: Backup Catalog
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What are you backing it up to?

• 2. Re: Backup Catalog
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Golfish78

In your reply to SG, would you please include whether you are doing a Full Backup or Incremental Backup of the Organizer as well as telling us what your computer operating system is?

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Backup Catalog
              Golfish78 Level 1

I am doing my first compete backup on Windows 7.

• 4. Re: Backup Catalog
                Golfish78 Level 1

I am not sure whether to back it up to a DVD or thumb drive.  I can't get that far to even make a choice.  Most likely it will be to a thumb drive.

This will be my first backup so it will be a complete one and it is currently on a computer using Windows 7.

Thanks for getting back.

Dick Turse

• 5. Re: Backup Catalog
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're backing up all of your media files to a thumb drive? That must be some thumb drive!

So, what have you tried so far?

• 6. Re: Backup Catalog
                    Golfish78 Level 1

At this time I don't have many media files. When I need more room I'll back up to an external hard drive.  I am backing up daily all of my files on a hard drive but want to put the photos and videos on a separate location.  My problem is not where I am backing them up. My problem is that, like many other facets of the program, it doesn't do what it is supposed to. It stops at 68% when calculating the number of media files.  I never get to the question as to where I want the files to be backed up.

I deleted some videos but that did not help.  Beyond that I am stumped because anything I have read doesn't even mention the step of calculating media files.  Any thoughts?

• 7. Re: Backup Catalog
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Golfish78

I am not one for backing up the Elements Organizer. But, when I saw your thread and questions, I thought that I would give it a try in view of your most recent comments. My Premiere Elements 11 and its Elements Organizer 11 are on Windows 7 64 bit.

I imported 65 photos into the Elements Organizer and did the Elements Organizer File Menu/Backup Catalog and the Full Backup. I did the Backup to a USB -  8 GB Flash Drive. Everything went surprisingly well

a. first the Copy Backup Files progress bar

b. then the message that "The backup completed successfully

When you are getting your feature message, does it specifically say that it is calculating the number of media files or does it just say copying backup files?

After I wrote the above, I came across the following articles that may be of interest in solving the issue.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-catalog-backup-conversion-elemen ts.html

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1097382

I will see whatelse I can find since that was a December 2012 thread.

ATR

• 8. Re: Backup Catalog
                        Golfish78 Level 1

The initial action is a box that says, "Preparing Media Files", which ends at 100%.  Then I get the Full Backup/Incremental Backup option and I choose Full since it is my first time.  Then a box comes on the screen which says "Calculating Total Media Size".  It goes to 67% and stops.  I have waited a long time but it never changes. I removed many videos from my Organizer but that did not help.  I  will admit once or twice the % was as high as 70% and 80%, but that was only temporarily.  Nowhere in my reading did I ever see any mention of the box containing the "Calculating" message.  I really don't need to backup the Organizer but I often get the suggestion to do so and I thought I would try it.  So I am frustrated that I can't seem to do it.  I have been burned by Elements before.  My version 8 would no longer allow me to open Organizer.  Every time I tried the program shut down.  I got no help from Adobe because they stopped servicing that version.  So I bought Version 11 and, in addition to "Backup",  have had some problems with that version also.  It does get frustrating.

Thanks for your help.  I'll give your suggestion a try.

Dick Turse