8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 12:27 PM by A.T. Romano

Highlighting moving person

altuser100

I'm an amateur PE11 user making a sport highlight film from game clips. I'd like to find the easiest way to highlight a single player as they move. it doesn't have to be there throughout the entire clip, just as he enters the play or becomes interesting in it. There is a written tutorial in these discussions but it is for PE7 and quite arduous. I have 40 clips to add this feature to so I was hoping someone had a clever way in PE11 to do this. I tried a freeze frame but it throws the audio off and only works for those moments when the eye is already on the player. I need people to be able to locate the player on the screen. An opaque circle for about 100 frames would work nicely.

Any great ideas, or links to a solution?

Thanks,

Altuser100

• 1. Re: Highlighting moving person
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

There are many ways to accomplish this goal.

Steve Grisetti, in his PrE Cool Tips & Tricks book, uses the Lighting Effect, set to Spotlight. Simple and very effective.

This verbal tutorial uses Track Matte Keying, which is a bit more involved, but can offer some great control - limited only by one's imagination: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390834

One can also use animated Titles with a character, like an arrow from a symbols font: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3702803#3702803

Good luck, and if you have any questions on the use of any of those methods, do not hesitate to ask.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Highlighting moving person
            altuser100 Level 1

All great choices which make my life immeasurably easier.

Thanks x 1k

• 3. Re: Highlighting moving person
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Altuser100

If you want a quick and basic way to do want you described, consider:

a. Premiere Elements 11. Titler. Create a Title in the Titler Shapes section, Ellipse Tool to make 2 circles, one the color of your circle which have a transparent center in subsequent step and one circle with the color black. Use the Selection Tool to move the smaller black circle to center over the circle with your color choice.

b. The Title goes on Video 2 above your game footage on Video 1.

c. Use fx Effects/Keying/Chroma Key to apply the Chroma Key effect to the Title file on Video 2. Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Chroma Key Panel expanded to edit Chroma Key if necessary.That will turn the area with the color black into black representing transparency.

d. Keyframe the Position property of the file Video 2 circle with the circle so that the circle follows your player of interest.

Some will probably urge you to create this circle in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as a .png or .psd file to be imported into Premiere Elements for the purpose (Add Media/Files and Folders). But, if you want to do everything in Premiere Elements 11, the way described above will serve your purposes.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

The above assumes a working knowledge the Titler, keyframing properties, using Chroma Key. If you are not OK with that, we can do some step by step.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Highlighting moving person
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Good ideas ATR.

I could not find my article on using the Titler and a Stoked (no Fill) Shape, but here is the graphic of what it looks like, in an older version of PrPro - but works the same way in PrE, just as you describe:

Oval_01.jpg

Hunt

[Edit] I just realized that the Stroked Shape was added to the first linked article - Highlighting a Moving Object, a bit down the thread, and was not done as a separate article.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 5. Re: Highlighting moving person
                  altuser100 Level 1

"The above assumes a working knowledge the Titler, keyframing properties, using Chroma Key."

Someone could make a fortune developing a filter, actually probably an app, that allows you to create a circle on screen and as the CTI scrolls in slow motion you simply drag it on screen to keep it where you want it.

In the sports community there is a coaching app called Hudl that highlights a player phenomenally well in a number of different ways. Of course its not meant for exporting outside of the app so thats its useful for non-coach types.

• 6. Re: Highlighting moving person
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

First, Hunt, please excuse if I missed this point in your post or the references that you gave. The following should work in both versions of Premiere Elements which you have said you have, versions 4 and 11.

altuser100

Since Hunt's Premiere Pro model does not address the specifics of your Premiere Elements 11 Windows situation, please let me offer the Premiere Elements 11 perspective on this with regard to establishing the circle for keyframing as per my post 3.

Instead of establishing the circle using two cicles one overlaying the other and Chroma Key, consider:

1. Premiere Elements 11 Titler

2. Styles...selecting a pre-made Style with the color of choice and which has stroking included in the pre-made style. I selected Caslon Red 84.

3. Go to the Shapes section of the Titler and draw your circle from the Ellipse Tool.

4. At that point you should see your shape in the Titler as a colored circle but with a solid color center.

5. In Shapes section of the Titler, open the Color Picker and change "Gradient" choice to "Eliminate".

We could elaborate on user made styles and such, but for now I will leave it as above. But, if you had time, you might be interested in a blog post that I wrote about Premiere Elements 11 Creating Styles

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-titler-part-2-styles.html

Thanks.

ATR

Overview

Circles.JPG

• 7. Re: Highlighting moving person
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

The placement of a Title, with a Stroked Shape, above the target video, is the exact same in all versions of PrPro, and PrE, from at least version 3. The one difference is that in PrPro, one can just choose a Shape, locate and size it, then adjust the Stroke, as needed, and turn OFF Fill. In PrE, they will need to choose a Stroked Style for that Shape, and then can alter the color of that Style.

Now, animation Keyframing of such a Title will differ, program to program, and version to version (can be similar, but not necessarily).

Sorry for the confusion.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Highlighting moving person
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

One of the keys to the Premiere Elements way is the choice of Elimiinate in the Titler Shapes Color Picker option for "Gradient".

Looking for a little detail like that can trip one up going from software editor to software editor. And, consequently and in addition some fine details of the actual color of the circle need some additional consideration.

ATR