1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 11:15 AM by elainecc

How to check if a variable(s) is in an array? (Pokemon Game)

mrgrymm Level 1

I have a sprite Ash that is animated on keydown events. Also for keydown I have a background image that moves while Ash stays in place to give the illusion of movement. Each time an arrow key is pressed a variable X or Y is increased or decresed by 1. This is to give an X,Y coordinate.

How do I place multiple out of bound coordinates into an array and have them check against the var X and Y? If the coordinates match then the background image PC will not move but Ash will continue to walk in place (yes I want it to walk into walls just like the original game).

Here's my project https://app.box.com/s/4w1ls5xviyte5se6feqg

• 1. Re: How to check if a variable(s) is in an array? (Pokemon Game)
          elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, mygrymm-

There are lots of inefficient ways to do this having to do with traversing arrays, etc., but probably the best thing for you to do is to create a two dimensional associative array, or an Object of Objects, in JavaScript parlance.  That way, you can look up the X in the parent object and the Y in that object to see if it exists.  Here's a really brief sample that I haven't tested, but should get you going in the right direction.

Let's say my boundary is 4, 5:

var xArray = new Object();

xArray["4"] = new Object();

xArray["4"]["5"] = true;

Then, when I test....

var currX = somehow.get.the.object.x.value;

var currY = somehow.get.the.object.y.value;

if (xArray[currX.toString()][currY.toString()] == true) {

console.log("boundary hit!");

Hope that helps,

1 person found this helpful