4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2008 8:04 AM by Jusnatters

Looking for Feedback

Jusnatters Level 1
      Is there anyone out there that has been using Robohelp v 7.0, along with Roboserver?

I am wondering if the newer version is more stable (presently using 4.xx) allowing users to access a project on a shared network drive?
        • 1. Re: Looking for Feedback
          RoboWizard Level 4
          Hi Jusnatters

When you say "users accessing a project", do you mean help authors or end users?

I ask, because sometimes folks are under the mistaken belief that RoboHelp Server is needed in order to post content that multiple users will view from a server. Generic WebHelp is capable of that without the added overhead (and expense) of RoboHelp Server.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Looking for Feedback
            Jusnatters Level 1
            Hi Rick,
            Sorry for not being more clear on my question.
            I am speaking of the help authors.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Looking for Feedback
              RoboColum(n) Level 5
              If you want multiple authors to access RH you will have to purchase enough RoboHelp licences to enable them to do so. Note I did not say RoboHelp Server. This is only required if you want to publish your help output to a server (WebHelp Pro output) and allow your end users to access it there. It also has many reporting benefits.

You should not install RoboHelp over a network as it is against the licence agreement. I'd also strongly suggest you never run any RoboHelp source code on a network drive. Backup there, yes but never open a project located there.

If you want multiple authors to access a project, you could explore using a source control system. RoboHelp has one in built - that I have never used - but others prefer a third party solution such as Visual SourceSafe.
              • 4. Re: Looking for Feedback
                Jusnatters Level 1
                Hi Colum