0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 12:26 PM by invisiblearts

ImporterREDserver Stressing System

invisiblearts Level 1

Hey there,

I've been trying to troubleshoot my system fans coming on while editing within Premiere, mostly when editing RED footage.  It's been highly annoying, but over at the Apple forums, we're starting to think that my system fans are just doing what they should be doing.  I haven't ruled out a hardware issue yet, but wanted to run this past the forum to see if it looks normal.  I've posted two photos below.  One is is of the activity monitor with playback of a RED 5k HD sequence playing at 1/4 resolution, and the other just after playback is stopped in premiere.  Premiere is set to utilize 24GB of my 32GB total system memory...

Screen Shot 2013-08-13 at 10.40.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2013-08-13 at 10.41.13 AM.png

As you can see, the ImporterREDserver cranks up during playback, and then everything steps right back down.  Is this normal?  Is there a way to get those numbers decreased during playback? 

UPDATE SINCE POST:  Ok, so I immediately tried playback at a lower resolution (1/8 rather than 1/4) and the stress level seemed to go WAY down.  Since I wasn't experiencing any lagging during playback at 1/4 resolution, I figured my system could handle it.  Apparently not.  So I'll keep it at 1/4 resolution for now and see if that keeps things calm.  Hopefully this answers the question for others who may be experiencing the same thing (I can't be the only one, right?).

Thanks!