6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 1:31 PM by Peter Spier

Question about paragraph styles

Forest_Jones

I have been looking a new program for small scale book publishing. Originally I used the GEM version of Ventura publisher and it had a feature I need that I have not been able to find anywhere else, and I am hoping the newest InDesign might have it.

I want to be able to start two paragraphs on the same line, with the second one indented like below. Can InDesign do this?

style need.jpg

• 1. Re: Question about paragraph styles
          MW Design Level 4

Neither InDesign, nor Quark, nor PagePlus can have side by side paragraphs. You are going to get advice for using tables. That's the closest you can get in any of the three applications mentioned.

I really miss VP at times. Used it from GEM to VP10.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Question about paragraph styles
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Tables are certainly an option, but an anchored frame holding the side head is a lot more versatile -- table cells can't break across a column or page meaning you may have trouble with longer body paragraphs.

• 3. Re: Question about paragraph styles
              Forest_Jones Level 1

Thank you. I was afraid of that. I miss it too. This little trick doesn't seem like too much to ask for. Using tables would be fine on a short document but I'm talking books from 80 to 200 pages with this used througout.

• 4. Re: Question about paragraph styles
                MW Design Level 4

I have kept an XP computer with VP installed for manuals I update from time to time. Everything is now being migrated after all these years and so some if these issues are near and dear to me.

For the most part, I can use tables where I have used side by side paragraphs. For the side by sides where one part is a call out in the wider margin, I have had to use anchored frames.

• 5. Re: Question about paragraph styles
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

Forest_Jones wrote:

I have been looking a new program for small scale book publishing. Originally I used the GEM version of Ventura publisher and it had a feature I need that I have not been able to find anywhere else, and I am hoping the newest InDesign might have it.

I want to be able to start two paragraphs on the same line, with the second one indented like below. Can InDesign do this?

style need.jpg

Adobe's FrameMaker has had this feature for many releases. InDesign users have been requesting it for many releases. You can file a formal feature request and add your voice to the any others, here: Wishform

Depending on the other requirements of your layout and document, you can achieve this appearance with a single InDesign paragraph style that whose body lines are indented from the left, the first line is indented by a negative amount equal to the indention, and a nested paragraph style (a confusing name: it means that ID can automatically apply one or more character styles within a paragraph) to give a different appearance to the outdented text. The main downside to this approach is that InDesign can't extract the outdented portion for a TOC, because it's not a separate paragraph. Workarounds have been discussed often on thie forum.

* Search Google for phrases like "InDesign nested paragraph style," and "InDesign hidden text in table of contents," without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 6. Re: Question about paragraph styles
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It also won't work if the side-head is longer than the indent and needs to wrap....