3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 3:01 PM by Kevin-Monahan

"Project Manager" -- Seriously, Adobe?!

danzg Level 1

As often happens in the REAL WORLD (i.e., outside of Adobe's R&D laboratories in the North Pole), a client wants a so-called "media managed" copy of a piece. I.e., they want just the bits of media actually used, with handles, so they can make changes in the future.

In FCP or Avid, this has been a breeze for the past 20 years or so.

Now, Premiere ...

I go to "Project Manager." Right? That's what I'm supposed to do?

It shows me EVERY BLOODY SEQUENCE in my project, pre-selected, IN A TINY LITTLE WINDOW,

WITH NO WAY TO DESELECT THEM ALL except going through one by one. (Am I missing something?)

Anyway, I finally select the ONE timeline I need to export.

I choose 30 frame handles. My source footage is XDCAM.

And then ... are you serious? PREMIERE CANNOT TRIM LONG GOP MEDIA? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

FCP has been able to do this since, like, the 20th century. Avid even earlier.

How can Premiere not be able to transcode media??!?!?!?

Please tell me I'm missing something!

• 1. Re: "Project Manager" -- Seriously, Adobe?!
          Shane_Ross Level 1

For the record, FCP hasn't been around for 20 years (but Avid has)...and FCP couldn't media manage like this until 2004.  Still, that's nearly 10 years.  And I agree, not being able to do this in Premiere is a major drawback to the "always working native" workflow.  And since there is to way to highlight your sequence and transcode it to a format that will allow this...is also an issue.

Working native has it's value, but also it's shortcomings.

• 2. Re: "Project Manager" -- Seriously, Adobe?!
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

danzg wrote:

PREMIERE CANNOT TRIM LONG GOP MEDIA? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

FCP has been able to do this since, like, the 20th century. Avid even earlier.

How can Premiere not be able to transcode media??!?!?!?

Please tell me I'm missing something!

Hi danzg,

Yes, it's a common feature request. Make yours here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish Sorry if this caused you problems.

To be fair, trimming Long GOP footage in any app is problematic due to its nature as an interframe codec. It's not precise.

If you wish to have the capability of trimming your project in Premiere Pro, you should transcode your footage to an intraframe codec first. Prelude is a great app to get this done.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 3. Re: "Project Manager" -- Seriously, Adobe?!
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Shane_Ross wrote:

For the record, FCP hasn't been around for 20 years (but Avid has)...and FCP couldn't media manage like this until 2004.  Still, that's nearly 10 years.  And I agree, not being able to do this in Premiere is a major drawback to the "always working native" workflow.  And since there is to way to highlight your sequence and transcode it to a format that will allow this...is also an issue.

Working native has it's value, but also it's shortcomings.

I hear you, Shane. You have to weigh the pluses and minues before you begin editing. Of course, you can go "non-native" as well. Just transcode to ProRes or DNxHD before you get started.

We know about this shortcoming and are working on it.

Cheers,

Kevin