6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 5:12 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Equation on a wave with photoshop cs6

sdp06

Hello,

i have a little problem making an easy thing:

I created a text which follow a wave (a sinusoïd) in an image.

I would like to do the same with an equation.

I tried it the following way:

I edit my equation with latex and make a pdf.

I import my pdf in cs6.

I make a deformation of my pdf to follow the wave.

The problem with this methos is all the char are deformed and the equation is no more readable.

Any idea to solve this problem?

• 1. Re: Equation on a wave with photoshop cs6
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I see LaTeX is an online equation editor.   From the quick look I had, the examples are almost definitely bitmap, but  scroll down to 7.2 on this page, and it says you can can convert to a vector format.   I am completely unfamiliar with LaTeX, but if you could bring that vector into Photoshop, you would be home and dry. 

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Export_To_Other_Formats

If you can output the vector, have a Google for importing shapes or Illustrator files into Photoshop.  Better still, use Illustrator.

Could you let us know how you get on?  We love to learn new tricks and tips here.

• 2. Re: Equation on a wave with photoshop cs6
            sdp06 Level 1

Hello,

thanks for you answer.

LaTeX is not really an online equation editor it's more a very versatil language used for creating many diffrent types of documents. But this detail is not really important.

So i have converted my equation into svg file.

(If someone want to do the same the most efficient way is to use dvisvgm. With windows, copy your dvi LaTeX file in the dvisvgm directory, open cmd, go in  the directory of dvisvgm and type: dvisvgm -n yourfile.dvi. I tried with inkscape the result wasn't good, and this one is free with a clean resut)

I have imported my svg file (which are my equations) and i wonder what am i supposed to do with that . Can this vector file follow a path like a text?

• 3. Re: Equation on a wave with photoshop cs6

I am not familiar with SVG files, but if you have got it into Photoshop CS6, you should be good to go.  If it exists as a Shape layer in Photoshop, the easiest way is to use Free Transform, and click on the Warp icon on the right of the Options bar.  I don't have CS6 installed any more, but in CC when you enable Warp mode, the warp options are at the other end of the Options bar, and the Flag will produce one full wave form.  You might get better results if you use Free Transform to compress its height prior to the warp. 

You can set the degree of distortion by adjusting 'Bend' in the options bar between zero and 100% but this is not going to produce a _lot_ of distortion.  You can increase the distortion a bit more by dragging the hollow square handle on the top of, and 25% in from the left, of the FT bounding box.  If you OK this, and repeat the same process again, you can increase the distortion again and again.

With the distorted Shape layer selected, its work path will be available in the Paths panel.  You could Ctrl (Cmd) click that work path to load it as a selection, and either stroke or fill it — whatever works best.

If you want more than the single waveform, I guess you’d need to be creative.  Split the equation into multiple parts, and FT each part separately and align them up.  It would be nice to see what you end up with.

• 4. Re: Equation on a wave with photoshop cs6
                sdp06 Level 1

test.jpg

This is not really perfect yet but in the end i like the deformation.

I will probably change it again as i m working on another part of my document at the moment, i will finish this part a bit later.

As you can see there is high deformation at the begining and at the end.

I used multiple times the "flag deformation" and adjut with a free transorm.

I didn't pass too many time to reduce deformation, i thing a better result can be done if i spend some times but as i said i like the dynamic it gave, i will probably keep some, for the symbol, anyway.

Don t pay attention to the equation it's just here to test the form.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Equation on a wave with photoshop cs6
                  charles badland Level 4

Not sure exactly what you are shooting for..

You could make a brush out it? Then change the spacing and angle in the Brush Panel to follow a path like you want? (my sine wave drawing skills are lacking...)

equationbrush.jpg

sine_of_times.jpg

If there is anyway you could make your equation using Symbol font, it would be even easier and better: simple type along a path.

• 6. Re: Equation on a wave with photoshop cs6

sdp06 wrote:

test.jpg

This is not really perfect yet but in the end i like the deformation.

I will probably change it again as i m working on another part of my document at the moment, i will finish this part a bit later.

As you can see there is high deformation at the begining and at the end.

I used multiple times the "flag deformation" and adjut with a free transorm.

I didn't pass too many time to reduce deformation, i thing a better result can be done if i spend some times but as i said i like the dynamic it gave, i will probably keep some, for the symbol, anyway.

Don t pay attention to the equation it's just here to test the form.

Thanks.

Hmmm...  It looks great in the middle section, but that shear distortion at the ends is not so great.  It would be nice if everything could be kept perpendicular to the imaginary line of the sine wave, but I can't think of a neat and tidy solution.  What you could do is to break the equation into sections, and apply apropriate oposite shear distortion to the parts > join them up again, and then produse the flag distorion.  

OK, here's another quick and dirty fix. 

I took your bitmap image above, and FT'd it vertically to increas the waves amplitude.

Copied the layer > offset it and changed blend mode to Darken to give two full cycles of the wave, but there was heaps of shear distortion as you'd expect.

So I selected one slope of the waveform > copied it to a new layer > used FT holding down the Ctrl (Cmd key to reshape the contents and remove the shear distortion.

Repeated the above for each arm, and each high and low peak of the wave form.

Flaterned the layers, and used Levels or Curves to increase contrast.

equation.jpg

It would look much better with a short equation. which would have a lot more detail.