8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2013 10:13 AM by James Edmunds

What are you using for spill suppression, and why?

Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We've gotten some feedback that the features for spill suppression built into After Effects aren't adequate. We'd like to know more.

What are you using for spill suppression? What else have you tried, and what are the shortcomings of the other things that you've tried?

• 1. Re: What are you using for spill suppression, and why?
          Daniel Broad.

Todd, the built in Spill Suppression effect in After Effects was recently upgraded to work in 32-bit, which is good.  It's actually also a very good tool when dealing with blue screen.  However, with greenscreen, it is lacking.

It would appear that After Effect's default Spill Suppression tool uses Hue ranges to target spill.  This does not work well with green spill.  There are better, more anaylitical algorithms to deal with green.  Although in some instances, Keylight's spill suppression works wonders on a shot, many times it does not.  It is notorious amoung After Effects users for causing excessive noise during the despill operation.  However, the cleaner your source footage, the less problems Keylight causes in that area.

Even beyond that, there are alot of other spill tools that are used by VFX artist in Fusion and Nuke, that AE does not offer.  That was the inspiration when I designed Spill Slayer.  I LOVE using AE for doing compositing, but trying to get rid of green spill was a nightmare at times using the default tools.  I worked at a commercial production house as lead compositor for 2 years, and I did hundreds of keys with Keylight/AE.  Many times I needed a sepearte tool to handle spill.

So, with that in mind, my programming buddy and I this past March started developing Spill Slayer, and we have no doubts that currently it is bar none the best tool for After Effects spill suppression. That is not just me trying to sell it, it's a fact.  It does not use hue ranges to try to grab green values, but compares the Red, Green, and Blue channels to target the spill and suppress it.  Now, someone any day now may come along and do better than us.  But right now we are very proud, as it's our first AE plug-in.  I'd love to get feedback from anyone.  There is a free demo to try it out yourselves.  Let me know what you think!  Thanks, Todd.

• 2. Re: What are you using for spill suppression, and why?
            Dino Muhic Level 1

I'm using Red Giants Spill Killer (Key Correct Pro or now called Keying Suite) for ages now and it never disappointed me.

Spill Slayer sounds great, will take a look into it.

• 3. Re: What are you using for spill suppression, and why?
              RickJMcClelland Level 1

I use the spill suppression in Keylight. I don't do a lot of green screen work, but did use it on a few projects and while it can indeed work wonders, I have to agree with the above poster that said that it can introduce a lot of noise; I certainly found that to be the case and had to do additional work to smooth over that noise and get it looking acceptable.

• 4. Re: What are you using for spill suppression, and why?
                maltaannon

I'm using Keylight for most of my keying work, but I hardly ever use the build in Spill Removal (Final Results). Usually after I key (Intermediate results) I apply Hue/Saturation filter and target the greens, and then a build in (or Red Giants) spill suppressor to fine-tune the results. I've also given a try to the new Spill Slayer plugin - already used it for a job. The results are very good. I like the simplicity of it that gives you a huge control and flexibility. I design my tools the same way. I really like it.

• 5. Re: What are you using for spill suppression, and why?
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

I build an alpha or luma matte using an combination of Keylight and other things.  Then on the unkeyed footage, I apply Keylight and tweak the controls until the chroma key background goes gray.  Then I use the matte made previously to create the nedessary transparency.

• 6. Re: What are you using for spill suppression, and why?
                    Navarro Parker Level 3

I worked with some footage shot on a chromakey stage that was painted with Rosco DigiComp green. It gives phenomonal one-click keying (when lit correctly). But it's also incredibly luminous. Ideally, the vfx super should have had the sides of the stage draped with duvateen or something. But it wasn't and consequently the people and objects shot had a tremendous green cast on them once they were keyed out.

The best spill supressor *BY FAR* I've used is the Unspill node on DV Garage's Conduit. (Not to be confused with Despill, which has the same color cast problems of other supressors) 

Unspill works like magic! (I think because it goes around supressing green/blue in a different manner than the usual supressors)

Red Giant's Key Correct Spill Killer is my second choice.

Never been really happy with Keylight's suppressor.

• 7. Re: What are you using for spill suppression, and why?
                      JaysonM-Y Level 3

It's not really good at interpreting the range of the hue I'm trying to suppress. I'm not sure how you can improve it's ability  to calculate the color correctly(maybe adding a range slider/adjustment) but I'd like to to auto light wrap for me or have a function to tweak the blend modes of the edges of my key.
                      Then again, hue and saturation does an ok job for that...

• 8. Re: What are you using for spill suppression, and why?
                        James Edmunds Level 1

This is not exactly an answer to this question, but FYI spill (in general, more globally than issues with AE's tools) is one of the reasons that I am evaluating how much and where I can shift my workflow to using rotobrush and the extremely impressive new refine edge tool, rather than green screen. I have a project in the next few weeks where I may do some side-by-side or duplication of shots to get a better practical feel for this. I am crossing my fingers, and also looking forward to further development of that workflow in upcoming versions/updates to AE.