7 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2017 7:01 AM by jpk32522715

How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?

dancemantron Level 1

Hello,

after creating an AE comp from a 1080p .png image sequence,

then opening the same 1st frame in PS(Photoshop),

i then drew a bezier mask around a circular part in the 1st frame of the AE comp,

copied then pasted it into the same 1st frame in PS,

RESULTS = the PS mask pasted misaligned with its corresponding part (texture) in AE and at different scale than the AE Mask.

i've been careful to only edit Masks and not their solid layers or the comp size and scale. So neither layers or comps have been scaled or shifted. I also insure the layers and comps remain the same size and position as when created. Please tell me..

1)..How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining alignment and SAME MASK SIZE in both?

2) Also, or if anyone knows of any way to distort or warp Bezier masks within AE please let me know?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

• 1. Re: How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Mask scaling between AE and Photoshop is dependent on the image's Dots Per Inch (DPI)I defined in Photoshop.  After Effects considers 72 DPI to be one-for-one pixels when scaling, so you need to ensure the document in PS where you draw your paths is defined as being 72 DPI.  You can change the DPI of an image in Photoshop without actually changing any pixels by using Image/Image Size, and turning off the "Resample Image" checkbox when you set the DPI to 72.

Unfortunately, After Effects also centers the paths you paste into an AE layer, so they often end up misaligned.  A workaround for this is to add a rectangular mask to your PS document that completely surrounds your image borders.  Include this new mask when you copy in PS, then paste to AE, where everything should now arrive in perfect alignment.  Then just delete the extra mask in AE.

• 2. Re: How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Don't bother with copy&paste, simply import the PSD as a comp. Clipping paths will be converted to masks and then you can use them in AE. As Andrew said, it helps to respect AE's assumption of 72dpi. The rest is unclear. What do you mean by "distort or warp"?

Mylenium

• 3. Re: How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can, of course, distort and warp masked objects in many ways in After Effects.  The Distort effects offer hundreds of different ways to approach distortion.  You can also animate masks so that they "morph" from one mask shape to another over time.

But if you specifically want to edit mask paths, rather than the layers in which they reside, you really need to work in a vector-specific application like Adobe Illustrator.

• 4. Re: How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?
                dancemantron Level 1

Thanks Andrew,

1) my Photoshop doc. is 72 DPI according to Image > Image Size. Would disabling "Resample Image" still help with this problem?, i'll try it just in case.

2) Really! appreciate all your answers and i'm sure your 2nd will work since i'd forgetten using it more than a decade ago. Although i'd still have to realign and rematch scale of the image Rectangular mask which would do the same with the target mask.

This shows as powerful as After Effects is its full potential is still prevented by endless bugs like this which are corrected only by experienced users like yourself and/or scripts written by the same ie: Mathias Mohl aka Mamoworld.

Thx again,

Jeff

• 5. Re: How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?
                  dancemantron Level 1

Thanks Mylenium,

"..Don't bother with copy&paste, simply import the PSD as a comp. Clipping paths will be converted to masks and then you can use them in AE.."

- this works but is only one way workflo: from PS to AE. When i paste imported PSD masks from AE back into PS they are still misaligned and mis-scaled,

"..What do you mean by "distort or warp"?.."

- exactly the same as PS Edit > Transform > Distort or Warp

Thanks Andrew,

"..You can, of course, distort and warp masked objects in many ways in After Effects.  The Distort effects offer hundreds of different ways to approach distortion.."

- Thanks Andrew, but when tried these they only worked on Images or Clip Layers and eash only Scaled masks thru the 8 image boundary points, similar to the Free Transform scale.

3) please describe the steps to use AE Effects > Distort specifically on Masks?

• 6. Re: How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?
                    dancemantron Level 1

Thanks Andrew,

1) my Photoshop doc. is 72 DPI according to Image > Image Size. Would 

disabling "Resample Image" still help with this problem?, i'll try it 

just in case.

2) Really! appreciate all your answers and i'm sure your 2nd will work 

since i'd forgetten using it more than a decade ago. Although i'd 

still have to realign and rematch scale of the image Rectangular mask 

which would do the same with the target mask.

This shows as powerful as After Effects is its full potential is still 

prevented by endless bugs like this which are corrected only by 

experienced users like yourself and/or scripts written by the same ie: 

Mathias Mohl aka Mamoworld.

"..You can, of course, distort and warp masked objects in many ways in 

After Effects.  The Distort effects offer hundreds of different ways 

to approach distortion.."

- Thanks, but when tried these they only worked on Images or Clip 

Layers and eash only Scaled masks thru the 8 image boundary points, 

similar to the Free Transform scale.

3) please describe the steps to use AE Effects > Distort specifically 

on Masks?

Thx again,

Jeff

• 7. Re: How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?
                      jpk32522715 Level 1

I know this is an old thread, but i found it searching for the same issue so if somebody else stumbles across this then hopefully this may help them! When i was importing PSDs into AE as compositions i was expecting the paths to import with them but you have to first make the path in Photoshop into a vector layer:

- make sure the path you want to bring into AE is highlighted in the paths palette

- go to the layers palette then create a new solid colour using the 'new adjustment layer' button at the bottom of palette (doesn't matter what colour you choose!). This then creates a fill masked with your vector path.

- repeat for as many paths as you have or need to transfer to AE

- Save PSD and then when you import this PSD as a composition into AE, the fill layer you created has an AE mask on it in the exact position as the original PSD. You can then just copy and paste this path onto whichever layer you like.

1 person found this helpful