3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 5:10 PM by the_wine_snob

Importing video?

willbullas@sbcglobal.net

When I import video only the lower half of the video is displayed. Audio is fine. Upper half of video is black, but video looks fine in Widows Movie Maker??

• 1. Re: Importing video?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Win Update breaks WMV http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1252244

-this is for Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements and Encore

• 2. Re: Importing video?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

John T. has nailed the problem. It seems that MS does have a "fix" out:

Hunt & ATR & anyone else interested in the 'fix'

Within the hour I received an e-mail notice from MS regarding the AUGUST batch of updates.  Included in the notice was a RE-release of the update (MS Security Bulletin MS13-057) that caused all of the grief last month.  The re-release can be found at:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms13-057

It should be noted that if you had previously 'Hidden' the original update so that it would not get installed; you will find that the MS process will automatically 'un-hide' the update and present the NEW update.  IMPORTANT, if one allows automatic downloading and installation of MS updates the new one will be installed --just as the old one was.  To prevent this from happening without your knowledge it is important to make sure that settings for updates utilize the third (3rd) option in the drop-down list to prevent unexpected actions.

"Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"   (3rd choice in the dropdown list)

The revised MS update can be identified by scrolling to the bottom to the section named "REVISIONS".

The new version will be identified by the notation:

• V2.0 (August 13, 2013): Bulletin revised to rerelease the 2803821 update for Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2. Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 customers should install the rereleased update. See the Update FAQ for more information.

It will be interesting to see if the original problem is fixed --and that no new problems are introduced.  I personally always wait about a week before installing any updates. In this case it will probably be longer because I will be out of town for a week or more and unable to acess the PC.

From a post to the Premiere Elements Forum.

I have not downloaded the new Update, and tried it yet, but others have, and report that it works with WMV.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Importing video?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

To back up what was posted before, Todd Kopriva has posted this:

It appears that Microsoft has issued the fixed update:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms13-057

See the "Update FAQ" section:

"Why was this bulletin revised on August 13, 2013?

Microsoft revised this bulletin to rerelease the 2803821 update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

The rereleased update addresses an application compatibility issue in which WMV encoded video could fail to properly render during playback. Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 customers should install the rereleased update."

Looks like we have a "fix."

Hunt