6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 6:34 AM by A.T. Romano

Graphic layer located differently in rendered video than in preview window

tomzudock

I have created a football highlights video where each play's highlight starts with a freeze frame with a yellow circle around the player of interest.  In the edit/preview window, the circle is exactly where it needs to be, but in the rendered video, it is out of place on at least some of the rendered video formats. 

For example, see the screen shot below of the edit window:

edit_window.png

Now here below it is rendered for youtube as a flash video.  You can see the circle is not properly located.

rendered_video.png

Notice that the render did letterbox all the way around, which makes me wonder if the circle was place based upon the total area, while the video was shrunk to letterbox.  I have rendered as standard NTSC DVD and it also shows this problem, and it also letterboxed a little bit.

However, rendered as MPEG2 HDTV 720p high quality, it comes out fine, as shown below, and there's no letterbox to speak of:

rendered_video2.png

So, this seems like something to do with the letterboxing done as part of the rendering process, applied to the video, but not my graphic layer.  Any ideas?

Tom Z

• 1. Re: Graphic layer located differently in rendered video than in preview window
          tomzudock Level 1

Well, looks like I found the answer.  I needed to force the video output settings to 16:9 pixel ratio:

video_output_settings.png

and the output looks fine on NTSC DVD:

rendered_video3.png

I'm not sure whether this should be considered a bug or not.  In any case, there's the answer!

Tom Z

• 2. Re: Graphic layer located differently in rendered video than in preview window
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom Z

Based on what we discussed in your other thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1273667?tstart=0

your 720 x 480 footage is widescreen.

I am not sure if I am reading this right, but here is what I suspect.

You have 720 x 480 16:9 (widescreen).

You went to Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG/ and selected the preset NTSC DVD Standard instead of NTSC DVD Widescreen. If you had NTSC DVD Widescreen, then, when you went under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset, you would have found the Pixel Aspect Ratio = Widescreen 16:9 (1.212). You would not have to do any forcing of export pixel aspect ratio.

Also, if you are uploading this 720 x 480 16:9 to YouTube from the program's Publish+Share/Online/YouTube, the appropriate preset there would be Flash Video for YouTube (widescreen). If you select a higher resolution upload than your source, there is always the possibility of quality issues because of the upscaling. You can experiment and see what you actually get if you need to upload to a higher resolution than your source for some reason.

Please review and let me know if I have targeted your question. Looks like you have made great progress. Sounding good and good work resolving your issue.

ATR

• 3. Re: Graphic layer located differently in rendered video than in preview window
              tomzudock Level 1

There's a little more to the saga here.  Manually setting the pixel aspect ratio is done through the advanced button on the publish dialog.  However, the advanced button is not displayed on the post online to youtube publishing option, and this prloblem occurs whether I choose widescreen or normal.  So, to get this right for youtube, I used the publish to a computer option (which has the advanced button on the publish windows) in the F4V format, and the placement of the circle was fine.  I then manually uploaded the file.

I now see this as a bug, because the publish to youtube option doesn't work.  Any ideas?

• 4. Re: Graphic layer located differently in rendered video than in preview window
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom Z

Something does not seem right. I need to think about this. The good news is that you are getting the results you want.

So I need to reconcile what you doing with the end result.

What are you doing in Adobe Flash Video with that F4V file?

First question to sort this out.

1. I have assumed

You went to Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG/ and selected the preset NTSC DVD Standard instead of NTSC DVD Widescreen.

Is that what you did?

If not, then what did you do? It sounds like you might have done

Publish+Share/Computer/Adobe Flash VIdeo with a preset of "F4V-HD 720p (Flash 9 and Higher) if you did you took your video from 720 x 480 16:9 to 1280 x 720 16:9.

If you took your Timeline content to YouTube via the "Flash Video for YouTube (widescreen)", you should have gotten the wanted results without having to go the 720p (1280 x 720) route. First thing in the morning I was do a test run with 720 x 480 16:9 video which includes a circled person and upload it to YouTube with the "Flash Video for You tube (widescreen)" and post a link to what I get.

I will be signing off. Back in a few hours.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 5. Re: Graphic layer located differently in rendered video than in preview window
                  tomzudock Level 1

ATR,

Sorry I didn't see your post.  I figured nobody had responded in 20 minutes. 

Flash widescreen format works published to youtube.  The overlay is placed as expected.  User error.  Thanks for the help... again!

Tom Z

• 6. Re: Graphic layer located differently in rendered video than in preview window
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom Z

Just starting my day. Glad for the good news that everything is OK.

About 1 am before shutting the computer, I did the run through to YouTube from Premiere Elements 11 (Publish+Share/Online/YouTube) to assure that there were no glitches taking the 720 x 480 16:9 Timeline to a Flash Video for YouTube Widescreen (with circle in place). Everything worked fine.

We are so pleased that the details are sorted out and that you are moving forward with your projects. Best wishes to your sports teams for a winning season.

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

ATR