5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 9:45 AM by SJRiegel

Aligning Bottom Margins in a Book

ryansjm Level 1

I feel like I'm being stupid here but I've looked and looked and I'm not doing this write.

I've got a book with text wrapping from one page to the next. Whenever I do the text frame options and justify the text - it won't move the last line of the text all the way down to the bottom if there is a return after it. It keeps the return there.

If I remove the return, then the next paragraph sneaks on to the page but I don't want it to be there.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

ryan

• 1. Re: Aligning Bottom Margins in a Book
          Michael Gianino Level 4

If you are creating space between paragraphs with a double return, you should stop doing that. It's an old typewriter trick that isn't necessary with modern page layout (and even word processing) programs.

If you add Space After  or Space Before as a paragraph attribute, you will never get the random extra return at the top of the page, and you will only get space at the bottom of the page if there is room. If you don't want a single line at the bottom of the page (an Orphan), set the Keep Options to keep the minimum number of lines together that you choose. That way, single lines of text in a multi-line paragraph will be forced to the next page with the rest of the paragraph. You can also eliminate Widows (the last line of a paragraph at the top of a page) in the Keep Options as well. If you want a paragraph to always begin at the top of a page, regardless of how much space is available in the previous page, set that in the Keep Options as well.

• 2. Re: Aligning Bottom Margins in a Book
            ryansjm Level 1

Michael, you're exactly right. That was my problem. Thank you. I've got a lot of work to do now getting rid of double returns but you're right.

Appreciate it!

• 3. Re: Aligning Bottom Margins in a Book
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A GREP search could fix that for you

Screen shot 2013-08-14 at 11.42.20 AM.png

• 4. Re: Aligning Bottom Margins in a Book
                ryansjm Level 1

Ah nice, I'll try that.

Was also going to try replacing double carriage return with a paragraph return, which should work as well, right?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Aligning Bottom Margins in a Book
                  SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, it would. The nice thing about the GREP search is that it will also catches instances of more than two returns, and change them all to single returns at once.