1 2 Previous Next 60 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 7:18 AM by rob day

Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

dissidently Level 1

Found a great way to work live, on the iPad, from the computer.

BUT, Adobe being Adobe, it's not perfect.

If I click to "Edit Original" and then edit, and save, I must switch back to InDesign before it actually does the update. 

That's problem 1.  I'd really rather not have to make that switch back.  Any way around that?

Second, haivng switched back to InDesign to get that "live" update, if I [Command + Tab] back to the editing app, the "live" updating link is lost, so the next change I make I must go back to InDesign and use the TINY little button at the top of the screen to find the Update Link choice.

I'd much rather a Keyboard Shortcut for Update All Links, rather than having to deal with this.

Better yet, constant live updates would be epic.  Anyways to do this?    

• 1. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

This is interesting.  How are you editing the ID file on the iPad?  A new piece of software? Or something else?  I don't understand, though, why you need live updating regardless of the means you are using.  If you are editing on the iPad, I would assume you are not near your computer. Perhaps sitting on the couch, in bed, taking a bath.  Why do you need live updating? Isn't your computer far away from the iPad?  If the computer is right next to the iPad—which it sounds like it is—why don't you just edit the document on the computer?  The idea of live updating doesn't sound so important. All linked items—images, text, etc—require someone to go back to the ID document to update.  And what is the TINY little button? I'm really intrigued by this workflow as I would love to sit on the couch with my iPad editing ID documents.

• 2. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
            dissidently Level 1

I should be more clear, here's some background on what I was trying to do:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5585135#5585135

I'm editing in Illustrator on the Mac, a placed piece of art that sits nicely in a perfectly sized InDesign file (2048x`1536) that's being pumped out to the iPad via the magic of AirDisplay.

What I want is to be able to edit in microcosm (in Illustrator) and see the updates live, in the context of the entire UI that I'm designing that's layed out in InDesign and being "broadcast" to the iPad for constant review.

Does that help understand what I'm trying to do?

• 3. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
              dissidently Level 1

Oh, btw, yes, there are remote control apps that would allow you to edit on the iPad, an open Indesign doc on your Mac.  But they all suffer horrendous amounts of lag, and touch is really not a nice way to interact with the tiny elements of the UI in Adobe apps.

• 4. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                dissidently Level 1

Here's that annoying little button I want to avoid having to mouse to each time.

At 2880 x 1800 it's fiddly and time wasting to have to head over there, do that, etc... just to get an update.  There must be a Keyboard shortcut for this, but I can't find it.

justcrap.jpg

• 5. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                  vectorbabe Level 1

If you're sitting at the computer, edit the AI file on the computer.

But you have to switch to ID all the time to update an image. That's got nothing to do with an iPad.

But criticizing Adobe for not being perfect is unfair. No program updates itself if it is not the active program.

But you don't have to click any ting icon if the frame that holds the image is selected.

Just switch back to InDesign and the image will update automatically.

"But I still don't understand why you're working on the iPad", she said walking away shaking her head.

Sent from my iPhone

So pardon the brevi

• 6. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                    JoaoCP Level 2

@dissidently: You can  define a shortcut for the Update All Links command. It's in the Panel Menus area of the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog box. Look for "Links: Update All Links".

@Sandee: I guess the original poster is using some kind of screen sharing application (like VNC) on his iPad, mirroring his Mac. The tiny little button he mentioned may be the yellow triangle with an exclamation point that appears on the top of changed-but-not-yet-updated image frames in ID.

• 7. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                      John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can make your own keyboard shortcut:

Untitled-1.jpg

• 8. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                        vectorbabe Level 1

Oh, I see the button.

But why not just assign a keyboard shortcut to the command "Update All Links"?  You'll still have to switch back to OD. That's a FOL.

"Still wondering about that iPad thing. "

Sent from my iPhone

So pardon the brevi

• 9. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                          dissidently Level 1

See my reply here @vectorbabe : http://forums.adobe.com/message/5585135#5585135

That's how I'm getting the perfect 1:1 replication of the UI Design from InDesign to the iPad.  It's actually possible to work with Indesign via AirDisplay, but, as I say, clunky with the size of Mouse based buttons trying to be touched.

To the rest of you, thank you!

I thought there might be a shortcut already asigned for this... but no. 

And the lack of a Search feature in the InDesign Shortcut control centre KILLS ME.  I don't know the correct lexicon to go find stuff like this.  So thankyou all for pointing out where I go to make a custom shortcut for this.

I'm going to go with [Option + Command + A].

Is there a "standardised" extended keyboard shortcuts file floating around the user forums?

• 10. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                            dissidently Level 1

Criticising Adobe for not being perfect is exactly what a pixel peeping designer should be doing.  All the time. 

How else are they going to improve?

Have you used Illustrator?

It's great, in some ways, but has the worst performance of any design app I've ever used.  I cannot believe how much it chugs.

And yes, I'm well aware this has nothing to do with the iPad, I never said it did.

This is about trying to get the smoothest possible, fastest, round trip editing and preview on the iPad.

• 11. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There's a difference between constructive criticism and whining. There's

also a right place and right way to make suggestions.

You're doing all of them wrong.

Here's the feature request page:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

It's been pointed out to your before. And you need to make a real good

case for why something would be helpful to the majority of users, so I

would write up the request offline and then paste it in.

• 12. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                dissidently Level 1

and then what happens?

• 13. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                  JoaoCP Level 2

@dissidently: In the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog box there's a "Show Set" button. Clicking it will launch your system's default text editor with a text-only document containing all ID commands, including their assigned shortcuts and the area where these commands can be found. Perform a Search query in your editor to find the desired command.

Yes, it's a bit clumsy, but it's the only "official" way to find where the commands reside in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog box.

In ID CS3 and CS4 you can use the splendid free utility called Keyboard Shortcuts Panel, from DTP Tools, which allows you to search and define shortcuts in a very efficient and intuitive way. DTP Tools incorporated this plugin into the paid Blatner Tools, which works in ID CS5 or later.

• 14. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

Then you wait...perhaps for years, perhaps forever.

That's how this works but given your propensity for whining about the

lack of niche features and the fact that you want the tools to adapt to

you, on top of making no effort to actually learn how things work (and

no, your excuse about not knowing the names of features doesn't fly)

you're going to get nowhere.

Your attitude toward all of this is flat out crazy. Instead of whining

that something can't be done, do what others do...ask how to do it.

• 15. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

Is there a "standardised" extended keyboard shortcuts file floating around the user forums?

Here's something like that:

http://www.nobledesktop.com/download/shortcut_guides/indesign_cs6_shortcuts_mac.pdf

• 16. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                        dissidently Level 1

Sorry, John. I meant "extended" in the sense that someone(s) had made decsions on all the extra (missing) possible shortcut combos for every possibly well used feature, and then uploaded that as a "work in progress" extra set of sensible shortcuts for all those things that don't currently have shortcuts.

• 17. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                          dissidently Level 1

Bob, who is whining?

• 18. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I thought there might be a shortcut already asigned for this... but no.

Sounds like you have a problem with the concept of preferences. If you look at the list of items that can be assigned key commands it's obvious there are not enough keys to go around—you want Update All to have a default key command, but I don't.

You want everything to automatically get updated, I don't—I want to know if a link was changed by someone else. If you really think links should not have a modified state the scripting engine is comprehensive.

• 19. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                              dissidently Level 1

Rob Day wrote:

Sounds like you have a problem with the concept of preferences.

Looks like you have a problem with understanding what I'm searching for.

Rob Day wrote:

you want Update All to have a default key command, but I don't.

Argh, there's part one of your problem.  I don't want it... I was looking for it, assuming it would be already assigned, and not wanting to try to find how to assign one of my own if it already existed.  This was made harder, ironically, by the fact it was already assigned, so there was no hint to the shortcut when seeing the Update options.

Rob Day wrote:

You want everything to automatically get updated, I don't—

There's part two of your problem.  I don't want that for everyone, always, I just want it as a possible state, and to turn it on.

Rob Day wrote:

If you really think links should not have a modified state the scripting engine is comprehensiv

And there's part 3.  I don't want to remove their modified state.  I just want for an "auto-update". 

Now, where's that scrpting reference?  Does scripting have access to things like auto-update of Links?  I'm guessing not, since there would be some possible security problems exposed by such a thing being able to be implemented by parties outside Adobe.

• 20. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

Does scripting have access to things like auto-update of Links?

A script can listen for link events. In AppleScript it's:

add event listener v : Adds an event listener.

add event listener specifier : Supported by the following objects: link, link metadata.

event type text : The event type.

handler any : The event handler. Can accept: alias or string or JavaScript Function.

[captures boolean] : This parameter is obsolete. Can accept: boolean (Default: FALSE).

→ event listener : The new event listener.

your problem

Actually don't have any at the moment—will post if one comes up.

• 21. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                                  dissidently Level 1

Just so we're absolutely clear...

You're suggesting AppleScript can listen to an update in an Illustrator file (from the save) and then tell InDesign to Update the Links in its file?

And AppleScript has this kind of authority inside apps?

• 22. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

I'm no scripter, but I'm pretty certain it doesn't work across apps that way. It would only be listening for an event, (link metatdata change), in InDesign.

• 23. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

And AppleScript has this kind of authority inside apps?

Not all apps, there has to be a scripting library and InDesigns is one of the best.

You're suggesting AppleScript can listen to an update

Yes there is a link listener. I copied the text in 20 from the AppleScript dictionary. There's also complete JavaScript support.

1 person found this helpful
                                                      • 24. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

I'm pretty certain it doesn't work across apps that way

That's right, but you should be able to listen for a change in link status inside of InDesign and then trigger the update.

• 25. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                                          dissidently Level 1

Wow. This is literally eye opening.

I have no idea about AppleScript.  Nothing really, about it at all.

I'm coming from a primarily PC based 3D and video editing background, but have learned a little Objective-C lately, and now working on the design of an app for iPads.  Hence suffering through Adobe design products to create mockups and UI examples for the real coders.

However I do know more than a little Javascript, and actually like the language.  For some reason it reminds me of a blend of C and BASIC from when I was a kid.

So you'll have to, please, excuse me while I ask some really dumb framework questions.

You've mentioned Javascript twice.  But I don't know why.

Is that because Indesign scriptig is Javascript, and you're therefore suggesting that an AppleScript "app" could detect the change in an Illustrator file, and then call into InDesign and tell it what to do with Javascript, or is there some other mechanic to this?

• 26. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                                            dissidently Level 1

So it's not actually AppleScript, at all, but rather Javascript, inside InDesign, that's listening for this change, and then doing the update as a result of hearing the change?

Sorry to be retarded. I'm thrown for a loop by the constant reference to AppleScript and Javascript, and the different environments they're acting in.

• 27. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                                              dissidently Level 1

And, sorry, one more thing, does a script in Javascript inside InDesign have the authority to run while InDesign is in the background?

• 28. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

You can choose the language you prefer, the capabilities are pretty much the same, so if you know JavaScript you can write in ExendScript Toolkit, or use Applescript Editor for AppleScript.

Applescript will only work on OSX, but is a bit better at scripts that need to move between applications.

The link event listener can't listen for a change in the linked file, but looks it can listen for a change in status inside of ID, which would happen if you edited and saved the linked file.

• 29. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

Check at the Scripting forum.

You still have to invoke the script, so I'm not sure what it would get you. Eventually you'll have to save and close the document, so that's probably a better time to handle the link updates—you could write a script that updates and saves.

• 30. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                                                    dissidently Level 1

So terrilby sorry to sound like I'm repeating myself, but I've made the tragic mistake of doing days of programming before, only to find out that the ultimate goal wasn't actually possible due to communication limitations:

AppleScript can Detect what's going on inside InDesign, and inform InDesign to do things, like Update its links? 

JavaScript (ExtendScript, to be precise) inside InDesign can work when InDesign is in the background at detecting changes in the state of Indesign (the file now needing an update) and therefore and whilst in the background, update those links?

If so, yes, both can do the job.  Which is utterly amazing... because even one of these languages/frameworks being able to do this would be amazing.  But to have two ways to consider doing it is simply a mind blowing moment.

• 31. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                                                      dissidently Level 1

argh, so here comes the limitation, that scripts are "run once" things?

So, if that's the problem, could I invoke the ExtendScript the moment I switch back to InDesign?

This way I could [Command + Tab] twice, into InDesign and back to Illustrator, and see the update happen without any other input from me.

And I'm guessing this would be a modest scripting excercise to get me started on scripting in Adobe apps.  And get me at least a little more stoked about working with Adobe's general other "clunkiness".

• 32. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

I'm not following the urgency of keeping the status as updated. Eventually you're going to have to save the document so you could fold the update into the save like this:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

tell active document

update every link

save

end tell

end tell

Also, updating just  updates the link’s preview on the page, if you print a layout with modified links the modification is printed. And if you open the link from the layout rather than the Finder via Option-Double-Click, changes will be updated automatically when you save the link.

• 33. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                                                          dissidently Level 1

I'm editing elements of a User Interface for iPad within Artboards in Illustrator.

Those Artboards are then structured inside InDesign so they perfectly fit a 2048x1536 Retina iPad, and that's "broadcast" out through AirDisplay onto the iPad so I can "live" preview all the changes I'm making, on the intended device. 

See the reply here, for how I'm doing this:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5585004#5585004

So the faster I can make this happen, the more dynamic the editing process, and the faster I can get the desired look and feel to the UI I'm designing.

And there's more than a few "pages" to this UI, so the better I have this running the faster and more profoundly it can help me.

Does that make sense as to what and why?

• 34. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

Open the Illustrator files from the InDesign page rather than the Finder and the updates will happen automatically.

• 35. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?
                                                                              dissidently Level 1

This only happens the first time I switch back to Indesign.  All subsequent returns require updating the link.

• 36. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

You need to use edit original (or edit with) every time you want to make

a change or you will be faced with updating the link manually.

• 37. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

You could script it from AI. Something like this:

tell application "Adobe Illustrator"

tell document 1

save

end tell

end tell

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

tell active document

delay 3

update every link

save

end tell

end tell

Paste the code into a AppleScript Editor doc and save it to your AI scripts folder and will be available in File>Scripts.

It needs to go in ~:Applications:Adobe Illustrator CS6:Presets:en_US:Scripts

(not ~:Applications:Adobe Illustrator CS6:Scripting:)

• 38. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

This way I could [Command + Tab] twice, into InDesign and back to Illustrator, and see the update happen without any other input from me.

Good Lord! You REALLY are stubborn when it comes to forcing the program to work the way you want it to.

If it were me I would Cmd-Tab into ID, invoke the shortcut for Update All Links, and then Cmd-Tab back to AI.

One keyboard shortcut extra is all you need.

You want to jump through hoops to get an ID script to auto update the links.

I believe there are ways to get scripts to "watch" ID to be invoked when necessary. But why? It's not that hard to press a key.

• 39. Re: Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

This only happens the first time I switch back to Indesign.  All subsequent returns require updating the link.

Keep the frame holding the image active and it will update automatically.

Don't complain until you know how to use the program.

1 2 Previous Next