3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 6:48 AM by John Mensinger

3 nested paragraph styles

LiberAbaci

Hi,

I'm trying to nest 3 styles. I need the heading (varying number of sentences), sub heading (varying number of words follwed by : ) at the start of new paragraph, after the : (colon) back to default background style (body copy). There are words with : (colon) elsewhere other than the start of paragraphs so it must only apply the style at the start of each paragraph.  I am able to do this by making all hard returns, soft returns and running the style 'upto' 'forced line break' but by doing this I can then not set space after/before or stop short lines becoming fully justified. Apply next style doesnt work in this scenario. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2013-08-14 at 13.02.33.png

• 1. Re: 3 nested paragraph styles
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not sure how you're using the term "nest," but by your description, the heading is a simple stand-alone paragraph style. The body paragraph with inline subheads is easily done using InDesign's nested style feature.

Make a character style to style your inline subhead. Then, in your body paragraph style, nest it like this:

Untitled-1.jpg

• 2. Re: 3 nested paragraph styles
            LiberAbaci Level 1

I have been doing as you suggest but would ideally not have a separate paragraph style for the heading, instead would like this nested with the sub-head style so with a single apply I can style many different paragraphs but cant work out how to separate the heading from the rest of the copy to style it.

Thanks

• 3. Re: 3 nested paragraph styles
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LiberAbaci wrote:

I have been doing as you suggest but would ideally not have a separate paragraph style for the heading, instead would like this nested with the sub-head style so with a single apply I can style many different paragraphs but cant work out how to separate the heading from the rest of the copy to style it.

Thanks

Forgive me if this comes off as crass, but what your asking not only would defeat the purpose of using predefined styles in the first place, but would require the software to somehow identify your headings without your input.

According to your description, you are not using a nested character style in your body paragraph style. Using the two paragraph styles as I describe, you could set your body style as the next style follwing the heading style, but there's no way to get InDesign to automatically find your headings and style them independently of your interaction.