8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 6:52 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 crashes during playback after adding PiP

thejustin01

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 11, up to date, and Windows 7 home up to date. This is a new problem that just started with my most recent project. I have done these types of edits and PiP's many times with success with the same type of source video formats, etc.

The problem: I add a small clip of video over the main video timeline as Picture in Picture. It adds to the timeline successfully and I can even play it back ok (before rendering). If I add a transition to the front of the PiP, it will crash during playback (pre-render). Or, if I render the timeline before adding the transition, it will also crash during playback once it gets to the PiP.

I tested PiP with still pictures and that works ok, it only crashes on video PiP. I have tested different video formats (from GoPro and from Panasonic camcorder) with the same results (crashes). I have uninstalled Adobe Premiere as well as Quicktime and re-installed them, same results. I am quite frustrated with the constant crashes, especially since I have done a dozen or more videos the same exact way using the same cameras and same types of video files.

Any help is appreciated.

Justin

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 crashes during playback after adding PiP
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Justin,

Can you tell us the full details of your Source Clips?

Then, the Project's Settings?

Finally, the details of your computer, with concentration on both the CPU and the GPU?

Also, have you updated the GPU's video driver, from the mfgr's. Web site? If not, I would do so, to rule that out quickly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 crashes during playback after adding PiP
            A.T. Romano Level 7

thejustin01

How are you doing the Picture In Picture effect?

Are you using one of the presets found under fx Effects/Presets/PiP or are you just placing your video on Video 2 Expert view and scaling/positioning it so that the Video on Video 1 can be seen?

If you are using the Presets for the PiP Effect, what specific PiP are you using?

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 crashes during playback after adding PiP
              thejustin01 Level 1

The main video in the timeline is from a GoPro Hero 3 @ 1080p widescreen (h.264/MP4) The video I use for PiP (in this project) is from a Panasonic V720, also 1080p but AVCHD (m2ts file extension).

Project setting is AVCHD 1080p30 if I remember right off top of my head.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 560Ti w/ 2gb memory

RAM: 8gb

I did update my GPU drivers as well, forgot to mention that.

I use expert mode and drag a video clip from the preview window onto the main playback screen, it brings up a menu and I select PiP there. It drops the PiP'd video onto video 2.

Thanks for the quick reply.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 crashes during playback after adding PiP
                A.T. Romano Level 7

thejustin01

If you have 1080p30 footage, your project preset should be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 or DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

You wrote

I use expert mode and drag a video clip from the preview window onto the main playback screen, it brings up a menu and I select PiP there. It drops the PiP'd video onto video 2.

I do not see that happening in the Expert workspace. PiP message sounds more like the Quick workspace. But....

Expert workspace

If you have your two videos in Project Assets and you drag the background one to Video 1, then the PiP one to Video 2

a. Select the Video 2 clip

b. With mouse cursor and the files bounding box handles, scale the Video 2 video and position it.

Does the issue exist with that particular scenario?

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 crashes during playback after adding PiP
                  thejustin01 Level 1

Hmm, ok I'll try creating a new project with those project presets and see how it goes. Weird thing is, I've always used this preset and it worked fine before, not sure what changed.

I am using, and have always used, the process "Create a picture-in-picture overlay in the Expert view" at the following link for my PiP:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSC360ECBD-97C2-4953-AD24-4DDB564930A2. html

I will also test your approach.

Thanks,

Justin

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 crashes during playback after adding PiP
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Justin

Thanks.

We will be watching for your results.

From what you have written I do not think that this applies to you, but, for this troubleshooting purposes now, I would ask to stay in Expert or Quick but do not toggle between the two. And, let us know which workspace you are in.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 crashes during playback after adding PiP
                      thejustin01 Level 1

So I created a new project using the project preset "DSLR 1080p30 @29.97". Everything worked fine in that project using the same source videos and doing PiP (tested with both methods).

I opened the project that was giving me problems and the PiP worked when using your approach of dropping the PiP clip onto Video 2 then scaling it down. I then deleted that PiP and re-added it the way I was doing it before, and it crashed the first time I tried to play it back.

I closed down Elements and again tried to reproduce the crash the same way, but this time it worked and did not crash...I tried multiple times to reproduce the crash, sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't...

So, I don't know exactly what the problem is. Lastnight I could reproduce the crash every time by either rendering the PiP or adding a transition to the front of it (then playing it back), every time it would crash. Now it is behaving differently.

At any rate, I will start using the correct project settings going forward and know that I can PiP using the other method as well. Maybe the project that is giving me problems is just corrupted or something, I'll toss it an start anew.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 crashes during playback after adding PiP
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

thejustin01

Sounds like great progress.

Thank you for follow up with the troubleshooting and letting us know the results.

It is always difficult to move forward with whys left behind. But, often it is the practical thing to do when the program starts working. But monitor this type of event and please keep us updated on further developements and we can revisit the issue if it surfaces again.

Thanks again.

ATR