7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 2:44 AM by jmlevy

Font Scrambled

MikeGondek Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Save .ai with pdf compatible from Illustrator Mac CS5(15.02), placed in InDesign CS6 (8.01.406) and font gets scrambled. Do not get any errors or message about font liscencing.

Screen Shot 2013-08-14 at 12.05.33 PM.png

Font is Century Gothic (T1 version). Seems as if T1 is getting more problems in recent years am going to test a TT version and to convince the account to switch fonts if this works.

Supposed to say "DURABLE VITRELLE® GLASS DINNERWARE • ARTICLES DE VAISSELLE EN VERRE DURABLES VITRELLE • VAJILLA DE VIDRIO DURADERA VITRELLE". If I paste into stickies and do not use paste and match style, I get the same exact scrambling, as seen in InDesign.

• 1. Re: Font Scrambled

Switching to TT version not working am going to restart. Here is an Illustrator screenshot.

Screen Shot 2013-08-14 at 12.26.16 PM.png

• 2. Re: Font Scrambled

OK got this fixed, if anyone else experiences similar.

1. Get rid of your T1 version, or if you have font auto activation (Extensis UTC server), then will keep opening T1 version, even if you spec the TT version of the font.
            2. In Illustrator use find font to swap all your T1 to TT verion
            3. Clear font cache
            4. Save as in Illustrator, over your orignal .ai file. This will most importantly update the PDF half of the file which InDesign is using.

Unfortuanately in some fonts there can be spacing shifts as the TT version do not match the T1 versions, and occasionally even a glph change. But in this case we are back in business and not plagued with PDFs that dont match.

If you are designing, please use the newer font technology, you will have less font problems. Opentype, LT (Linotype) STD (Standard) are good things to look for and fonts that with dashes between the font name are older verison usually with the main foundries (eg: Avante Garde Gothic-Bold).

• 3. Re: Font Scrambled
              jmlevy Adobe Community Professional

I am completely out of topic, but your French translation is not correct: “durable” must be written without “s”.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Font Scrambled

No problem very glad you responded. The copy is French Canadian and was supplied that way, can you explain why that is wrong so I know if I should say something?  Since you know French, do you often find bad errors on packaging and advertising?

In know there are some differences between French & French Canadian and in Spanish translation even the lower and upper part of Mexico.

I often experienced the same translator will translate the same exact sentence differently the next day. Some words from English do not translate 100%, and 2 different translators may translate differently,  but you would think they keep notes on how they translate common items such as nutrition facts panels and caution statements.

I got some Belarussian gum packs, can you help me with that. Just kidding.

• 5. Re: Font Scrambled

I do not only know French, I am French.

In French, adjectives agree in gender and number with the noun. As “verre” is singular, “durable” has to be singular, too. And there are no grammatical differences between French and French Canadian, only vocabulary differences.

• 6. Re: Font Scrambled

merci beaucoup!

• 7. Re: Font Scrambled

De rien !

N'hésite pas à revenir vers moi si tu as d'autres questions à ce sujet.