3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 1:19 PM by A.T. Romano

Crashed when EXITing

mynameiswrb

What a day! In trying to understand the problems I posted in my previous 2 questions, wondering if in fact I had to shut down the software between projects (since Save didn't erase the existing project from the timeline), I clicked Exit - and once again got the left-skewed/partially missing 'Add Media' request box, and once again, the software crashed. And a final weirdness - which only started after today's reinstall - every time I reload the existing project, I get a multilingual message which lasts for half a second before being replaced by the 'Add Media' request (during the brief display I've caught the word 'media'). And to top it all off, if after the project had loaded, I click the upper right hand corner X to shut down the program, it also hangs up.

• 1. Re: Crashed when EXITing
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mynameiswrb

Still not sure what Premiere Elements version and computer operating system. So assuming Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 or 8 64 bit until you tell us otherwise.

Please excuse if I am mentioning something that you are already aware of but I do not want to take anything for granted.

What are the properties of your source media (video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, aspect ratio, file extension, duration and so on)? What are you or the project setting as the project preset?

How are you getting your source media into the program....Add Media/Files and Folders or other. For now, assuming Add Media/Files and Folders.

Where is this media being stored...on the Local Disk C or an external hard drive (formatted NTFS, not FAT32)? If external hard drive, is it stable in that the drive letter for it is not changing on you?

IMPORTANT. After you open a new project, import media, edit, etc. and save/close that project, you cannot move or delete the media that was imported into that project. If you do, you are in for a lot of nasty missing media (Media Offline) messages and troublesome reconnect of media to project. The Project Archiver is a safe saver if you are moving media around. Please check out the Project Archiver (Archive and Copy options).

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

Please check the above and the rest of the comments in your various threads that you posted today.

We will work through these issues.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Crashed when EXITing
            mynameiswrb Level 1

A.T.,

I am EXTREMELY grateful for your assistance! (And I will make the most awful admission of any software user - I have not RTFM, only used the 3 I have as reference material for each step I try undertaking).

In order of your questions - as I mentioned in my seconds ago post, Win 8 64 bit, Premiere Elements 11 (forgot that), Intel i7, 8GB RAM.

Yes, initially, I use the 'Add Media' / Files option to bring in my clips to my project.

My video files are all on my main internal C drive, all from Sony cameras/camcorders, generally H264-MPEG4 (1440 x 1080) (as are the clips in my current DVD burn). The longest clip in the current project is about 10 minutes; the entire set of clips amounts to about 75 minutes.

I don't know what the 'project preset' is.

I have NO idea how to close a project; if Save closes it, why are all the clips still in the timeline?

None of the files I've tried using have moved at all - they remain in the folders where I've initially saved them on the C drive after copying them from my cameras.

The current DVD burn completed successfully - and the VLC player has no problem recognizing the markers as chapters and playing the disc.

Now if I could only 'erase' the project from the timeline w/o crashing the program...

• 3. Re: Crashed when EXITing
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mynameiswrb

Now if I could only 'erase' the project from the timeline w/o crashing the program...

If all you want to do is erase/delete the Timeline on the project that you have open (and you have clicked Done to the Publish+Share area, then...

Edit Menu/Select All and then Edit Menu/Delete.

That will clear the Timeline, but you will still have the files in Project Assets. So, you want to clear the Project Assets copies and the Timeline content for them, go to Project Assets, Edit Menu/Select All and then Edit Menu/Delete (read and say Yes to the deletion message).

You could just save the current project and start a new one.

Key points to think about...

a. Project preset should match the properties of your source media so that the project is instructed to set up the correct space in the Monitor for editing purposes. For the footage you described, looks like you want NTSC AVCHD HD1080i30. Program is set up to do that automatically for you. Sometimes OK. Sometimes not OK. If not OK, then you set the project preset yourself with File Menu/New/Project, making sure to put the check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project".

b. If you are shooting interlaced video, there are fields consideration when you are heading for a DVD-VIDEO export.

But, if you have been successful in what you are doing, then go with what works for you.

When you go to export to a file saved to the computer hard drive, with your 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 footage, there I suggest that you use the export settings for 1920 x 1080 so that your player does not have to depend on 16:9 flag for play back.

More another time. Just some thoughts for now.

ATR