8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 5:09 PM by lostsometimes

List - nested lines with break between

lostsometimes

inDesign CS5

I have a list.

#1 has two lines that I want to be together 11/13.

#2 has three lines that I want to be together 11/13.

#3 has four lines that I want to be together

I want to have some space between #1, and #2, and #3 to separate them from each other.

How do I do this and have even amount of break after each number?

• 1. Re: List - nested lines with break between
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm afraid your question has left me lost, too.

can you show us a screen shot of waht you want to do?

• 2. Re: List - nested lines with break between
            lostsometimes Level 1

Attached is my screen shot.

This is a Table of Contents.  As you can see Font is set up as 11/12.5.  

After I applied that I needed to come back in and make the content fit into the blue box.

I did that by by using the Circle on the right in my shot.  You can see I began moving the page number contents up by 4 pts so I could get the last page # to fit into the blue box.

I'd still like to have some margin at the bottom after #23.

So, I would go back and start adding or subtracting 1 pt to each page group until I got it where I want it and there is some margin after page 23.

Such a pain.  There has to be an easier way of making "too much text" fit into the blue box.  Client wants the text as large as can be. They are sticklers that all spaces are equal.

I'm not concerned at this point that the page numbers are different colors.  I can handle that.

• 3. Re: List - nested lines with break between

Unfortunately you cannot attach images here, youmust either link to them on some other server or embed them in your post using the camera icon onthe web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 4. Re: List - nested lines with break between
                lostsometimes Level 1

Table of Contents.jpg

This is a Table of Contents.  As you can see Font is set up as 11/12.5. 

After I applied that I needed to come back in and make the content fit into the blue box.

I did that by by using the Circle on the right in my shot.  You can see I began moving the page number contents up by 4 pts so I could get the last page # to fit into the blue box.

I'd still like to have some margin at the bottom after #23.

So, I would go back and start adding or subtracting 1 pt to each page group until I got it where I want it and there is some margin after page 23.

Such a pain.  There has to be an easier way of making "too much text" fit into the blue box.  Client wants the text as large as can be. They are sticklers that all spaces are equal.

I'm not concerned at this point that the page numbers are different colors.  I can handle that.

• 5. Re: List - nested lines with break between

There are no doubt several ways to do this that would be better than what you are using.

First would be to define a paragraph style thatu includes a "Space After" value to control the spacing, and get rid of the empty paragraphs you've used for that.

Another would be to set the frame to use Verical Justification, and to set a largish value for the limit on space between paragraphs. That would force ID to make all adjustments to the space between the paragraphs while keeping the linespacing constant within them. Changing the number of lines would adjust the spacing equally throughout, and adding some inset to the frame would set the margins within.

• 6. Re: List - nested lines with break between
                    lostsometimes Level 1

Where do I find this Vertical Justification function?

• 7. Re: List - nested lines with break between

Text Frame Options...

In the screen shot below the inset fields are circled. Justification is the section below. Pick Justified from the dropdown and set the Paragraph Spacing Limit to the maximum you want to allow, which can be anything in this case, as long as it's at least enough to always kep the spacing moving between the paragraphs and not the individual lines. A very high value here can be used to set two paragraphs in a frame and have one aligned at the top and the other at the bottom.

Text Inset.png

• 8. Re: List - nested lines with break between
                        lostsometimes Level 1

Thank you for this info. I'll give it a try!