7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 1:17 PM by rays79807387

Data Merge specific cells, multiple (unlimited) entries on one page

Tinker.Config

HELP!

I've used the mail merge in the past with publisher to create labels and the like....in it on a single page I would code

<<address>> and in another part of the page <<next entry, address>> <<next entry, address>>

and so on and it would fill every area with the next entry in the excel file ad nauseum till complete. It was a simple way to extract specific continuous bits of information and apply it to a document on a single page.

I haven't been able to find anything similiar with Data Merge but there must be a way since InDesign has been more powerful than publisher in every way so far. Here is a sample of what I am creating
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ewkwgmerz89ggf/Sample.pdf

Basically I have a book where every year my boss has been hand retyping the ENTIRE calendar not just into what you see in the sample above but through out an entire day planner also. I'd like to streamline the process but everytime I try and place a data point it says (for example) <<Day of Month>> and page 1 will ONLY take data point 1. I'm aware of the multiple selections per page function but it wants to lay it out in a grid that doesn't match my document and I have 365 data points to plug in to 2014 and another 365 for page 2 (2015)

Is there anyway to tell indesign I want <<Day of month, row 2, column 2>> in one box and <<Day of Month, row 3, column 2>> ....<<Day of Month, row 366, column 2>> All on one page so that I can place them precisely through out the document? This would allow me to make a simple adjustment to the CSV each year and then fill in the remainder with nothing more than a click.

Any help would be appreciated because I'd LOVE to save 20 hours of work every year and huge numbers of mistakes. This has to be something SUPER simple but no tutorial I've found covers it, they all mention the multiple entries per sheet option and that does NOTHING like what I want. I'd have to create 12 documents, data merge them, and then place them into the primary document and that is terrible workflow.  Through out the final document not everything is in a comfortable grid like this so it would be even less useful.

We use CS3 in case that is relevant for the topic.

Thanks,

Tinker