6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 11:14 AM by A.T. Romano

4 Questions on New Project Settings with Pemiere Elements 9 - & Fix Quality Problems.

Chucky-Tiger Level 1

When I started my new project I selected PAL, DSLR - 1920 x 1080p  - 24 fps.

Once in New Project, I dragged the movie onto the Timeline, then up poped a box saying something like "Fix Quality Problems", whch I accepted.

Q1 Which is the best frame rate to record in, to subsequently bring media into Premiere Elements 9?

I am in The UK so we have PAL and therefore, I could use 24p or 25p   - 25 p is 25 fps, and 24p is 23.976 fps. per the Canon manual.   [NB the Canon will not record at 50 or 60p in PAL]

Q2, I read somewhere that some Video Editors can not accept a movie file in its native format , and thus change it to a different format and then edit it, and then export and convert it back - often with a serious loss of quality. I would like to maximise the quality.

Q2i] Does Premiere Elements 9 do this converstion? If so does it harm the quality significantly - are there ways to avoid this?

Q2ii] and if so, is there a recording format best suited for me to record in,  and subsequently import my videos into Premiere Elements 9?  eg would it be better to record in 25 fps?

Q2iii]  There was also a screen somewhere about this section like 2,2,3,2,2  I think its something to do with pulldown?  What is the best setting for the highest quality?

Background info:-

I shot my videos with my new Canon DSLR 5D MkIII;  I set the movie quality to:-

PAL, 1920 x 1080p  ALL-I (this was the highest quality the 5DIII can record at, there was an "IPB" option for lower quality).  And I selected 24 fps  - which the manual says is actually 23.976 fps

The manual also says it is a MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 [movie recording compression] Recording Format = MOV

But  strangely it loads onto my laptop as a "Quick Time Movie". I was expecting to see a .MOV file. [whether this is because this Sony Laptop comes with 'PMB Organiser' and view software. Or the hated iTunes changed how things are imported, I just don't understand any of this stuff .  All I do know is iTunes repeatedly tried to change my default viewer. So did it change the format, which files are imported in?? [re loading the files from my cameras CF card into my laptop]

Any advice much appreciated

Peter

• 1. Re: 4 Questions on New Project Settings with Pemiere Elements 9 - & Fix Quality Problems.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Peter,

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1

Project Preset in New Project Dialog =

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

Since your version does not have a /Computer/AVCHD, then export

Computer

QuickTime

with Presets = PAL DV 16:9

and, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, set

ExportSetting24.JPG

Cut off further down is the Bitrate Settings. Your opportunity is

a. without a check mark next to Limit Data Rate....could get huge file sizes

or

b. with a check mark and your fill in for Bitrate...the Bitrate units here are kbps (kilobits per second). Find a good compromise between quality and file size.

Comments:

Import your file from the Camera. If you have problems with importing, then we can talk about that later. Mov and such are just file extensions (video and audio compression wrapper). It is the video and audio compression plus the wrapper, not just the wrapper to be considered.

MPEG4 AVC/H.264 is a represenation for AVCHD video compression. A very resource demanding format for editing. That .mov is the wrapper for file.

Please review the above and let us know how that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: 4 Questions on New Project Settings with Pemiere Elements 9 - & Fix Quality Problems.
            Chucky-Tiger Level 1

Hi

Thanks so much for your super detailed [which is exactly what I need] reponse. I will definitely try that; but I will have to do it tomorrow evening, As its 2,55am, and I have an earlish start tomorrow. But thanks to you I will actually manage to get some sleep. I was worried sick, I would never be able to get these files edited!

2 questions if I may.

Q1. when you say "a. without a check mark next to Limit Data Rate....could get huge file sizes"

I assume these would be no bigger than the file the Camera made?. Which I don't have a problem with and this PC seems to handle quite happily Quad i7 Turbo boosted 8 Gigs of Ram, and some NVidia 4 GB Graphics card or something.

Q2. You said "Since your version does not have a /Computer/AVCHD, then export"

Will this harm the quality of the output?

If so, What version should I get to have this feature? Is Ver 11 stable - I had heard bad things about it?  Ideally I would like to upgrade if it helps?

Especially as I heard one can change the brightness and the colour saturation in Ver 11. [which I beleive you can not do in Ver 9.]

Finally I thought I had upgraded this to version 9,01; well thats what it said after the install of the upgrade; but now it does not look like it is on version 9,01.

Where do you look to verify the version no. on this application?

once again many many thanks!

Regards

Peter

• 3. Re: 4 Questions on New Project Settings with Pemiere Elements 9 - & Fix Quality Problems.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Peter

I am a believer in do not change version unless there is a must have feature in a later version.

Here is a suggested plan. Gauge the quality of what you get from H.264.mov, using your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and the current computer environment. Download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 11, specifically to look at the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD/ .mp4 offerings.

At least two considerations...there is a major interface chance compared to versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 11. So, v11 may take some getting used to. Principles are essentally the same, but feature relocation could be a factor....second consideration is that a new version of Premiere Elements may be released soon. So you need to plan your purchasing strategy.

In v11, you will also be able to get your H.264.mov via Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime. But v11 has an AVCHD choice under Computer. Its MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080 p24 may give you better quality results. Worth checking out.

Right now you have Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 as a 32 bit application. Premiere Elements 11 will be a 64 bit application in Windows 7 or 8 64 bit or Mac 64 bit which translates into more available system resources for your work...gets the larger projects done with a greater rate of success than the 32 bit application in a 32 bit system.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: 4 Questions on New Project Settings with Pemiere Elements 9 - & Fix Quality Problems.
                Chucky-Tiger Level 1

Thanks so much - I got really delayed with broken gear being delivered. Had to prioritise, as if you dont complain for immeadiately - you lose the moral high ground.

Q ?

In Elements 9 .01 I have to choose the DV16:9  H.264 option

You say the ver. 11 has an MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 output [which is what the Canon manual says it records in. 

Am I correct that using Ver 9.01 Elelments will import my video and then convert it to DV . 16:9 from MPEG-4 AVC/H.264.

If so does that conversion resut gernerally in a loss of quality?

If so, if I later upgrade to Ver 11. can I load up the projects and re-export in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format.?

I guess my question is is the editing done in native format and then exported. Or does it convert it and then apply the editing and then export it.

I am asking as would this effect the editing work quality wise?

Fundamentally should I play around with 9 then 11 and make my choice before doing the editing work.

Sorry to ask these questions but Version 11 down load failed!  Got stuck 1/2 way through it. And it then crashed!  SO can't try both yet.

Plus as you said Ver 12 may be on the way that might address some of the quality issues I hear being complained about in Ver 12.

• 5. Re: 4 Questions on New Project Settings with Pemiere Elements 9 - & Fix Quality Problems.
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Version 11 down load failed!

Several messages recently, in various forums, about download problems

Since Adobe has a 30 day return policy, you might consider buying the boxed version so you have physical discs

Nobody who is allowed to say knows when v12 will be issued or what it will have that is new... so you need to determine if what v11 has is what you need

• 6. Re: 4 Questions on New Project Settings with Pemiere Elements 9 - & Fix Quality Problems.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Peter,

The way out of the project is encoding. And recoding tends to degradation of the export in varying degrees for different formats. Typically DV AVI undergoes less change with reencoding than the rest. But, we are not dealing with DV AVI here. Your source appears to be

AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression

1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 24 progressive frames per second

Rather than export the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Timeline to a .mov file or something else and then importing that into Premiere Elements 11 for is AVCHD export, please consider trying to open the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project in Premiere Elements 11 and then proceed there to export Publish+Share/Compute/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080 p24.

Keep in mind that if you take a project created in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and edit it in Premiere Elements 11 and then decide to further edit it in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, cannot do. And, if some unexpected perk allows the opening of the Premiere Elements 11 edited version, there will be problems. Unless there is a special reason, best complete a project in the version that created and create anew in the newer version.

A just in case note, the original on the hard drive is not altered. Premiere Elements traces back to the original from the Project Assets thumbnail (copy of original).

But, you should make the comparsion between your H.264.mov opportunity in version 9.0/9.0.1 and your AVCHD.mp4 opportunity in Premiere Elements 11. I believe that you said that is your intention.

For your Premiere Elements 11 tryout download, check out another browser. I always had to go to Internet Explorer for that download. Firefox never was good for that. But with this version 11, Firefox did the job. I had better results saving the downloaded folder to Documents than I did to Desktop.

Please review and let us know if I have targeted your questions. If not, please detail what I overlooked.

Thanks.

ATR