3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 8:07 PM by Curt Y

CS6 Memory use

NW-Roy

When ever I use PS CS6 for editing more than a couple of images, PS won't load another image completely, so I have to shut it down.  Sometimes it stops working on it's own.  When this happens, a warning is logged in Win7:

The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. Seems to always be video memory related.  Not sure what's going on or what I can do about it.

I'm using Win7 - 32 bit; 3G of RAM.  Video card is integrated with AMD chip.  It's a real hassle to keep rebooting in order to edit images.  I used to have Elements 10 on another machine and never experienced any memory issues.  I looked at the Task Manager last night and after starting PS, memory use for the app was 450M; after doing two minor (one layer each file) image edits, memory use jumped to 830M, after saving both images.  Seems pretty heavy, but I don't know for sure.

• 1. Re: CS6 Memory use
          Curt Y Level 7

You are using a machine that is way underpowered for CS6 or CC.  To run corretly you should have a 64 bit program with min. 8 gig of ram and a dedicated video card.  Anything less and you will problems like you have reported.

CS6 needs more resources than PSE10.

• 2. Re: CS6 Memory use
            NW-Roy Level 1

Thanks Curt.  This had crossed my mind.  I have the memory, but will need to do a new install to 64bit (my install disk has both version, fortunately).  I'll look into the video card as well.

• 3. Re: CS6 Memory use
              Curt Y Level 7

The integrated graphics card may be OK unless you are doing intensive projects like 3D.  But it should be a later version like Intel 4000.  The key to good graphics card is not a high end card, as middle of road works fine, but you need good drivers.