2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 7:05 AM by dissidently

Why do the Rulers come up in the Presentation mode Window?

dissidently Level 1

I have two windows of the same project open.

1. On Mac

2. On Device (iPad)

The window on the device is in Presentation mode.

I'm working on the window on the Mac, I enable "Show Rulers" and they pop up on the Presentation Window as well, and jolt everything down and to the right to the width of the Rulers.

Why does this happen?

Is "Presentation Mode" not sufficiently sacred as to not have Rulers intrude on it?

Why is the second window not operate separately in terms of its view state?

• 1. Re: Why do the Rulers come up in the Presentation mode Window?
          vectorbabe Level 1

It probably happens because you are using InDesign on a non-supported device.

From the Adobe system requirements:

Multicore Intel processor

Mac OS X v10.6.8, v10.7, or v10.8

2GB of RAM (8GB recommended)

2.6GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)

1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 32-bit video card. Supports Retina display.

Adobe Flash Player 10 software required to export SWF files

Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, membership validation, and access to online

It requires (note the term requirements) Mac OS. Not iOS.

Wondering why an InDesign feature works a certain way on a "device" is like wondering why a car works a certain way as a boat.

Neither situation is what the manufacturer intended.

I'm wondering a few things:

How old you? Most three-year olds eventually grow out of the "Why" phases.

What do you do when invited to someone's house for dinner? Do you sit a critiqued every aspect of their food, table settings, furniture, decor?

Why are you working with InDesign? You obviously are supremely disappointed in its performance.

And why do you post inappropriate questions on this forum? Oh wait, I do know the answer to that one! You are an immature person who enjoys the attention you get by "stirring up the pot" with frivolous questions and observations.

I see now why most of the regulars on the forum have left you "hanging in the wind."

I'm just sorry that that I thought you were a sincere person who really wanted help.

I was wrong.

But I won't make that mistake again.

(And I see why you chose your screen name. An adult would have identified himself. And your name just screams you are pugnacious.)

Sent from my iPad

• 2. Re: Why do the Rulers come up in the Presentation mode Window?
            dissidently Level 1

vectorbabe wrote:

(And I see why you chose your screen name. An adult would have identified himself. And your name just screams you are pugnacious.)

Sent from my iPad

I'm pretty sure that needs no response. But I smiled.  At least twice.  You have an excellent sense of humour.

Now, more seriously... understanding why something acts in a certain way is the key to... UNDERSTANDING. 

Children learn rote.  Men learn to ask WHY!? And respond accordingly.

What's most intriguing about this bug is that Guidelines, Bounding Boxes and Frames respond properly... ie they turn on/off independently in the Window on the Mac, whilst not respondingin on the second screen in the second window.  In inDesign.  Interestingly this same "bug" is reversed in Illustrator.