2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2013 7:25 PM by LindaJane1961

Why does Adobe Digital Editions not recognise my new Yellowstone E-Reader when it is connected?

LindaJane1961

Why does Adobe Digital Editions not recognise my new Yellowstone E-Reader when it is connected? The device says that it is fully compatible with Digital Editions, yet when I connect the device and load the program, Digital Editions does not load the device onto the left pane of the homepage. Please help.

• 1. Re: Why does Adobe Digital Editions not recognise my new Yellowstone E-Reader when it is connected?
          sjpt Level 4

Some eReaders (in particular Sony ones) do not show up in ADE unless you load a special driver into the computer.  In the case of Sonys the driver is installed when you install Sony Reader software: you don't have to run Sony Reader for the driver to work: once the driver is installed the Sony shows up properly in ADE).  Maybe you need a similar driver for your device.

Most generic tablet devices that can be used as eReaders do not show up in Digital Editions.  It should show up as a mounted drive. You need to copy the book file (.epub or .pdf) to the device using a file manager (Windows Explorer/Finder/...). 

1. For DRM ebooks, you also need to make sure the device is authorized for the same Adobe ID as the computer.
            You need to look at the device help, or the help that comes with theeReader app you are using on the device.
          2. For non-DRM eBooks it is a waste of time using ADE anyway, use the vastly superior free Calibre. http://calibre-ebook.com/
          • 2. Re: Why does Adobe Digital Editions not recognise my new Yellowstone E-Reader when it is connected?
            LindaJane1961 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry for the late response. I'm trying to do this for my mum on her computer, but I don't live with her, so it can be hard for me to find the spare time to get to her place.

Okay, let me start by listing a few things in dot points:

- Adobe Digital Editions does not recognise the device. There doesn't even appear to be any menu options for a "device" anywhere in the program.

- When I connect the device to the computer, the screen lights up and the word "USB" appears on it, so it is definitely noting the PC connection. However, no device appears in "My Computer" (running Windows XP). Tried using "Add Devices", but it couldn't find anything.

- Yellowstone, the brand, appears to be a product of JB Hifi, the store she purchased it from, and has no website or online software/drivers.

- I downloaded Calibre as you said. It seems a lot cheaper, but has easier to read options. However, it still won't let me load to my device (the text is greyed-out). I assume this means the program is not recognising the device either.

Not sure what to do now, kinda run out of ideas. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thakns Linda.