5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 6:35 AM by resdesign

Using Jquery to show and hide symbols in Edge Animate

davieduck89

Hoping somebody can help me with this.

I have a project in Edge with a couple of screens as symbols on layers in the main timeline. I've been trying to write a function in the global scope that I can call from all the buttons, to show and hide screens.

So far I have a function that looks like this:

function mainScreenOut (){

sym.$("screen1").hide();

}

But this and many variations don't seem to work.

If anybody could help me understand how to use these jquery commands properly, it would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Using Jquery to show and hide symbols in Edge Animate
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where are your buttons in relation to the screens?

Are your screens on the main timeline? If so, you can also use display on/off. The default is always on.

sym.$('screen').hide(); is correct syntax but it depends where and how you use it.

• 2. Re: Using Jquery to show and hide symbols in Edge Animate
            davieduck89 Level 1

The buttons are symbols, within a symbol. And the screens are on the main timeline. But I think I've solved this now. This is what I did:

Because I couldn't figure out a way to show/hide the screen symbols themselves, I put them into their own div tags and targeted those instead, from the buttons.

So, I ended up with each of my screens inside their own  encompassing div tags, and my code on the button symbol (nested in a symbol that is on the main timeline) ended up looking like this:

if (mainPageActive == false){

sym.getComposition().getStage().$("mainscreen1").fadeTo(1000,0.2);

sym.getComposition().getStage().$("mainscreen1").css("pointer-events","none");

sym.getComposition().getStage().$("mainscreen2").css("z-index", +1);

sym.getComposition().getStage().getSymbol('screen2').play("on");

toolTipActive = false;

}

Where "mainscreen1" is the div tag sitting on the main timeline, that I had to wrap around the screen symbol.

I suppose the only question that remains for me is:

If what I've had to do here is true for everything, does this mean there's no way to use jquery commands to target SYMBOLS to do the same thing? Can I only target elements within a symbol, and not the symbol itself?

• 3. Re: Using Jquery to show and hide symbols in Edge Animate
              resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Of course you can. It is just that you did not do it right because you did not address the target properly.

If your buttons are inside a symbol and you are targetting another symbol then you need to do it this way:

sym.getSymbol('symbolContainingtheButtons').$('yourbutton').click(function(){

// go back to the main timeline with sym.getComposition().getStage()

sym.getComposition().getStage().$('yourscreen').hide();

});

Beware, this editor adds spaces in publishing.

• 4. Re: Using Jquery to show and hide symbols in Edge Animate
                davieduck89 Level 1

Ah! Thank you very much. You've been very helpful