• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is anyone having issues with SCORM 1.2 course tracking using IE 9 or IE 10?

Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on behalf of a course developer having an issue with Presenter courses in their LMS (Cornerstone OnDemand/CSOD).

The course is not sending tracking data for users with Internet Explorer 9. or 10

The course works fine when using another browser - IE 7 & 8, Chrome, Firefox.

I am not sure what version of Presenter is being used.

TOPICS
Presenter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Can you test your Scorm compliant published course on Scorm Cloud (free LMS till 100 mb), sign up there and upload your course there.

Then view the course in IE 9 and IE 10 in order to investigate whether it is LMS specific issue or not.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Varun,

Thank you for the helpful suggestion.  I had tried that previously, and confirmed SCORM Cloud allows it ... but SCORM Cloud is VERY forgiving about how courses communicate.

It's just strange that the course works in IE 7 and 8, and it works in Chrome and Firefox... but IE 9 and 10 appear to have issue.

I saw some posts from 2011 about IE 9 and Flash as well as IE 9 and Adobe Presneter... wondered if anyone was still having similar issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same problem with our Presenter SCORM 1.2 content. Definitley related to IE9 and above. Running browser in IE8 mode or switching to Chrome cures problem, but that is not a long term fix.  Articulate has developed a fix for their customers, but I can not find anything on the Adobe site that even acknolwedges this issue. If enough people ask this question will Adobe respond??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you tell me which LMS do you have?

Have you tested the published output on Cloud.Scorm.com?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for returning my email.

We use Training Partner from Geometrix Data Systems.

I do not need to test my content on Cloud.Scorm because I know it works.

It works with IE8 and Chrome.

I have >100 courses using SCORM and they have worked for many years.

They do not work when people use IE9 or 10.

I have researched this issue on the web and the default question everyone asks is “Have you tested your content on Cloud.Scorm?

Everyone has replied, Yes and yes it works there, but not over the web using IE9or10 – except when 9 or 10 is set to Mimic IE8.

Regards,

Steve Nestle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, I am having the opposite problem with Cornerstone: I have content created in Adobe Presenter (not sure of the version, but I'm thinking 7) that is hosted on CSOD that does not currently work in Firefox or Chrome, but works in IE 10. I don't happen to have IE 9 available at the moment, so I can't test it there just yet. however, i know that these courses worked in Chrome at least 6 months ago, and no changes (to my knowledge) have been made to them.

this is all to say that i think the issue may be with Cornerstone OnDemand. Has your client contacted their CSOD client success manager or submitted a case to CSOD's global product support team?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2014 Mar 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All

I believe you will find that the issue has less to do with your LMS or browser and more to do with the handling of code by Adobe in the Presenter's SCORM output. 

I am having a simple issue with browser windows not closing once a lesson is complete (and does not have a quiz embedded).  My quizzes are separate. 

Although not directly related to your situation, it may well be indirectly causing some of the issues.  Net/net:  the wrong calls or no call is being placed in the .js files.  If the close window issue (below) is happening (which it is...), what else is occuring that is the result of an improper use of Scorm content?

an Interesting concept.. and one I (a non programmer) am struggling with..

I hope the information below may help in any way.....

Cheers and blessings....

-B

Captivate 7, Exit Bug and a Solution

Several of our Inquisiq R3 users have alerted us to the fact that courses developed with Captivate 7 published to HTML5 and SWF do not close properly when using the “Exit” button, forcing the user instead to manually close the browser window by clicking the “X” in the upper-right corner of the browser window.

Through our investigation into this issue, it appears that the process that Adobe has implemented when clicking the “Exit” button is to simply attempt to close the content window and rely on the LMS to capture and commit the session data. Nowhere did we see that the content was actually calling the “LMSFinish()” [SCORM 1.2] or “Terminate()” [SCORM 2004] methods in the LMS’s SCORM API to commit the lesson data to the LMS as required by the SCORM specification.

Adobe uses their own defined function, “DoCPExit,” to close a lesson window.  This method contains a “window.close()” call and additional logic to “bubble up” the command through the frame parents (if they exist and also contain the “DoCPExit” method - presumably because they would also be Adobe-published content files within your package).

There are several flaws to this approach.

1. By not calling “LMSFinish()” or “Terminate(),” the content is, by definition, not SCORM conformant.  Part of the minimum requirements for conformance are that the content calls the initialization method “LMSInitialize()” in SCORM 1.2 or “Initialize()” in SCORM 2004 and the  termination method “LMSFinish()” in SCORM 1.2 or “Terminate()” in SCORM 2004. The LMS is not required to clean up the data left behind when the content fails to make this call. So if your LMS doesn’t take this additional step (of setting ‘LMSFinish’ or ‘Terminate’ if the lesson does not), your data will be completely lost…i.e. no record of you taking the lesson will be recorded.
  2. The call to close the browser window will fail if the LMS is running the content within a frame or iframe. Since the SCORM specification allows content to be launched in frames or iframes (in addition to new browser windows), lessons need to be able to accommodate this scenario. Even with the “bubble up” logic, once the call reaches the top most content window, and the next parent window in line is the LMS container page, the call will no longer be passed and a “window.close()” call will be fired within the framed page.  When this call is made, nothing will happen as a framed page cannot close the browser window using this command. Through our investigation, we’ve learned that at least 4 other well-known LMSs have experienced this particular issue.

Ironically, the solution that we’ve discovered is not only SCORM conformant, but also very simple and follows what we would consider to be SCORM “best practices”.  The foundation and logic for the solution is already contained within the published Captivate files (and it is the same solution whether you publish to SCORM 1.2 or SCORM 2004).

We simply modify the “DoCPExit” method that is contained within the “Utilities.js” file to call the “Finish()” method.  Just replace all the code appearing between the “{“and the “}” as you see here:

function DoCPExit(){
   Finish();

}

The “Finish()” method that we have inserted is, as mentioned, already contained within the published Captivate files and contains the logic to properly set the exit parameters and correctly identify whether the content is SCORM 1.2 or SCORM 2004; it will therefore make a call to the correct close method (“LMSFinish()” or “Terminate()”) accordingly.  Once the LMS has received this command, it should take care of removing the content properly, leaving no need for any “bubble-up” logic or window close calls within the content code.

Overall, if the lessons you develop with Captivate 7 work as expected and required in your LMS, there is no need to implement this change. However, if your lesson’s Exit button is not working as it should, and/or you are losing progress and status data when closing the lesson, the fix described here should resolve all those issues.

The biggest issue here is that since we’re changing published code, the next time you update and publish that same Captivate project, you have to remember to change that published function code AGAIN, as Captivate will simply publish the default code.

We have been in touch with the Captivate team to discuss this problem and they are investigating. We would hope a patch to address this flaw would be released in the near future.

-Posted by: Erik L.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2014 Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are havng the same problem They made a change in IE 9 and it exists in 10 & 11 where SCORM communicaion is blocked. Everythign works great in IE8. we tellpeople to set IE9 and above to "mimic IE8" i nthe Tools/F12 Develop Tools seting dialog. This is not a permanent fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We put this in the head of all of our training pages:  <head><meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" /><title>  No other fix has worked.  The idea actually came from scorm cloud who does the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pzaidel,

Would you please tell me which file I should put the following statement:

<head><meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" /><title> 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should put this in your index_scorm.html file. You also don't need the <title> tag as it's already in the file. I believe the line will already be there (at least it is in Captivate 9) but it's set to IE=10 instead of 8.

Best,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am facing the same problem. It seems that Adobe has not taken any actions to fix this problem for so many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Adobe Presenter 7, and had the same problem.

Now I have just purchased Presenter 9, and testing.

It seems that Presenter 9 is compatible with IE 8 and IE9. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources