7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 6:08 AM by jmshrrsn

Matrox MXO2 mini

UlfLaursen Level 2

Hi

I have for some time used the Matrox MXO2 mini on one of my two Premiere Pro CC PC's, and wanted to share my experience in case others was wondering how it is.

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2_mini/

My config on the PC is:

ASUS X79 Pro board

32 GB RAM

GTX 570

I use it together with the Dell 24" 2410 monitor:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/43469-dell-ultrasharp-u2410- 24-ips-monitor-review.html

This monitor is end of life now, but there is a 2412, which probably is ok too. The reason for choosing this one, was that it was recommended on "the cow", because you are able to set it up to make a correct aspect ratio of the picture.

The hardware install is easy, you need one PCIe 1x slot for the card, and you just connect the card to the box, with a special interface cable.

I installed the latest drivers, ver. 7.5 from the Matrox site after first boot.

I setup the monitor and tested the aspects of the output with a circle in a photoshop file on the Premiere timeline and a ruler.

Inside the preferences of CC, you can choose to output the audio through the Matrox box (HDMI) or through Premiere (the output of the sound card from the PC). I use the PC output and go to my mixer, and the sync is perfect.

You can use the box together with AE and PS too, but I have not come so far yet, my main reason was to get output from Premiere.

There is a calibration utility, quite advanced, as far as I as newbie can see.

The output is very responsive when you switch from timeline to source monitor f.ex. and it works with the titler too, but it takes a few seconds to switch view to the tiler or back, to timeline before the monitor connected to the Matrox updates, but I think it's ok. You can start playback, and while you play back the timeline, the monitor will update after af few seconds of playback.

Ulf

• 1. Re: Matrox MXO2 mini
          jmshrrsn Level 1

Not sure if you can help with this - or anyone else...

I'm trying out Premiere Pro CC and have noticed I can no longer playback via my Matrox Mini MXO2 - there is no longer the option to select Matrox.

My Matrox Firmware utility says Matrox is up to date.

Can I assume that Premiere Pro CC no longer handles Matrox boxes?

Any ideas very welcome.

james

• 2. Re: Matrox MXO2 mini
            UlfLaursen Level 2

As far as I remember there are new matrox drivers supportet for 7.1

I will look later for the info reg. installation I got from the dealer where I got my matrox, later and post it here.

Ulf

• 3. Re: Matrox MXO2 mini
              SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi James,

Never mind the "firmware", anytime you change versions of Premiere then MXO2 is going to need a new DRIVER installed. The most recent to support CC is 7.5.1.1966 and available here - http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/downloads/

What version of Premiere did you come from? Starting with CS6, there are no longer "Matrox Sequences". Simply use ANY of the existing Adobe sequence presets and they automatically play out through MXO2 (assuming correct drivers are installed of course). Matrox output settings in CC will be under Edit > Preferences > Playback

Hope this gets you going.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 4. Re: Matrox MXO2 mini
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Matrox tools have to re-installed after Adobe is installed. Make sure the transmit is enabled.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Matrox MXO2 mini
                  jmshrrsn Level 1

Thanks for all suggestions.  Renewing the Matrox tools did the trick.  Shame when you ask Matrox sofatware to check for new versions it doesn't - it just says everything is up to date.  Ho hum...

• 6. Re: Matrox MXO2 mini
                    SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

FIRMWARE is totally different than a DRIVER. The automatic update you were doing is simply checking the firmware inside the MXO2. Think of firmware as the set of instructions that tell the chips inside the MXO2 how to behave on a low level, much like the human autonomic nerve functions like heartbeat. The DRIVER is what actually interfaces the MXO2 to your editing software and that is ALWAYS a manual install operation, whether Matrox or BlackMagic or AJA, none of them automatically update the driver software when you change/update your NLE software.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 7. Re: Matrox MXO2 mini
                      jmshrrsn Level 1

...and now the audio playback is choppy.  Plays back fine via the computer monitor... but not via the external monitor wired in via the Matrox box.

*sighs*

I can't wait now for my new MacPro to be delivered.  May be all of this will be rectified by putting PPCC on a brand new machine that can output HDMI directly.  Somehow boxes in between just seem problematic.