12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2013 9:53 AM by A.T. Romano

PE11 has more limited video export formats that PE7?

keysound_dot_com

I upgraded to PE11 but now I find I have fewer video export options. For example, for YouTube I used to export as Windows Media (WMF) at 720p/25, and I had full control over many settings. Now, I find if I choose Windows Media I have a very limited choice of options and the resolution is limited to 720x480. If I choose AVCHD at 720p I get big MP4 files that look terrible. Likewise, HD 720p/25 gives a large and not great-looking MPG file, while HD 720p/25 High Quality confusingly gives a smaller-sized (but equally inadequate) MPG file. Again, Quicktime export offers me only a few options, none of which is 720p, where in PE7 I could choose from a much larger set of presets and change all the parameters. If I choose 'export Flash video for YouTube'  I get only a few options, none of which is 720p.

Am I just missing how to do this, or does PE11 really have many fewer options for exporting video than PE7?

• 1. Re: PE11 has more limited video export formats that PE7?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There should be close to 50 output options, each of them customizable, keysound. So there are certainly more output options than there were in version 7.

For YouTube, you should use Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the preset for YouTube HD. This should give you an excellent upload file!

• 2. Re: PE11 has more limited video export formats that PE7?
            keysound_dot_com Level 1

I will try that preset, which I had not spotted. I'm not suggesting PE11 has fewer output options, but regardless of the number of new presets I can't see how to get some of the options I had in PE7. For example, under Quicktime I have only six presets, and under Windows Media only four.

MarkH

• 3. Re: PE11 has more limited video export formats that PE7?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, WMVs and MOVs presets were scaled back in favor or more H.264/AVC/MP4 options, since it is a vastly superior way to save compressed web files.

That said, however, you can still go into the Advanced options for Windows Media and Quicktime and create presets to any specs you want. I even show you how, step by step, in my book, if you're interested.

• 4. Re: PE11 has more limited video export formats that PE7?
                keysound_dot_com Level 1

Yes, thanks, I have realised now that you can edit things when you find the right way in. That will probably be the way forward and I can save my own presets. I am not averse to discovering new formats but when I find something that works well I like to be able to fall back on it. I will check out your book too.

Thanks for the pointers.

MarkH

• 5. Re: PE11 has more limited video export formats that PE7?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

keysound

In version 7, you had 2 export routes, File Menu/Export/Movie and Share/ with choices for Disc, Online, Personal Computer, Mobile Phones and Players, and Tape.

In version 11, you do not have the File Menu/Export/Movie route, but you do have Publish+Share (the new generation) Share with a vast selection of export choices. I will not go over them, but for now will address only two of your points in your post.

1. As for QuickTime. Make sure that you have the latest version of QuickTime. QuickTime installation on the computer with Premiere Elements is required to see the QuickTime choices. Assuming that you have done that, then set an appropriate choice for Presets in the export dialog and then go under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, Audio Tab, and, if applicable other of the preset to take control of your video and audio settings.

2. SG has already suggested to you a choice for a file to be uploaded to YouTube at the YouTube web site that should give you best results.

3. But, as an example, here is how you get your old "Windows Media 720p25" export from Premiere Elements 11 Windows.

Publish+Share

Computer

Windows Media

Presets = 720 x 576 16x9 25

then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset, set as follows

7 11.JPG

You have full control over those settings. The bottom which is not visible in the screenshot shows "Average Video Bitrate = 1500 kbps (aka Kbps and representing kilobits per second).

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE11 has more limited video export formats that PE7?
                    keysound_dot_com Level 1

Thanks, I just did something similar and it is rendering as I speak (type)! I tried to match the parameters in the Windows Media 720p/25 preset from PE7, so we shall see how it does. I wasn't happy with the MP4 preset, which didn't look too bad on the desktop but which YouTube degraded hugely on upload. On the other hand, it was a first upload of a different kind of video for me, so this may be as much a factor as the switch to Elements 11 and a new file format. I guess I will find out when I get a WMV file rendered and try uploading it.

• 7. Re: PE11 has more limited video export formats that PE7?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

keysound

Thanks for the follow up.

Looking forward to your results.

I took a quick look at Premiere Elements 7 Share/Personal Computer/Windows Media/ and what might be the bitrate used there by default. It looks like something in the 400 kbps range. In Premiere Elements 11 Publish+Share/Computer/Windows Media, I went with what was there, that is, 1500 kbps. That might give you a larger file size than what you are used to. But, I thought that you would be doing some exploration and experimentation to find the compromise between quality and file size that you found before in Premiere Elements 7.

Double check your settings for the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with the preset that SG intended, that is, "YouTube Widescreen HD". If you use the default, I believe you will get 24 frames per second. You can always change that under the Advanced Button/VIdeo Tab. But it should be giving you good results.

Lots to explore. We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 8. Re: PE11 has more limited video export formats that PE7?
                        Joeysudyka

I am trying to find the best file output for my completed video in Pe11.  I usually have exported files in iMove to Quicktime and then burned to DVD..... but I cannot find an option for Quicktime in Pe11 share.  I want the best quality to burn the video to DVD from a .mov file.  I did try the mp4 and it seems ok on my macbook but will it be the BEST for burning to DVD.???  Thanks for any help.

• 9. Re: PE11 has more limited video export formats that PE7?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Joeysudyka

If you are going to Premiere Elements 11 Publish+Share/Computer and cannot find the major QuickTime category and/or its presets, there are two top possibilities

a. You are not scrolling down far enough. Happens to many. Look to the right for the thin vertical scroll bar

QuickTime copy.jpg

and

b. Maybe you do not have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with your Premiere Elements.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: PE11 has more limited video export formats that PE7?
                            Joeysudyka Level 1

THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!!!  Romano..... you were right....   I didn't scroll down... was unaware of the other choices hidden there.   The Mp4 video movie looks great but I "assume"  the Quicktime .mov  is a much better quality file to burn to DVD.   ????   I have been using only quicktime .mov files to burn my dvd movies and they seem to look quite good.....although if you have a comment on this I would appreciate any input.

Thank you again.

Joey

• 11. Re: PE11 has more limited video export formats that PE7?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Joeysudyka,

That little scroll bar has tripped up many, and even long-time users of PrE. I wish that it was bolder.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PE11 has more limited video export formats that PE7?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Joey

Great, great news.

Go with what works for you.

But, be appear of expectations versus other factors. DVD-VIDEO is DVD-VIDEO with its standards. And, whether you are thinking DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen, the frame size is going to be 720 x 480 (NTSC) and 720 x 576 (PAL). The widescreen version differs with the inclusion of a 16:9 flag that stretches the video for display after encoding.

And, many of the newer TVs include technology to enchance the DVD-VIDEO playback.

When you have time, you can explore and experiment with Premiere Elements Timeline formats vs export, but right now it would appear that you have found your path to success.

Keep up the good work.

Please never hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR