12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2006 5:31 AM by Newsgroup_User

Do you use Illustrator and Dreamweaver to build websites?

Level 7
      Hello,

I've been using CorelDraw and Frontpage to build sites for several years
      (mainly b/c that's the software that I had to use) but I am consistently
      told that I could be doing more with Illustrator and Dreamweaver. I just
      joined this forum for Dreamweaver help but where do you go for Illustrator
      help? I saw the Adobe support website but does anyone know of a newsgroup
      like this that you can subscribe to for Illustrator?

Thanks!
      Beverly

• 1. Re: Do you use Illustrator and Dreamweaver to build websites?
          Level 7
          I use CorelDRAW/PhotoPAINT & Dreamweaver. Personally, I find Illustrator (at
          least the PC version) vastly inferior to Corel. Notwithstanding that, I can
          think of no practical reason to switch from Corel to Illustrator if Corel is
          doing the job for you. I know of no advantage Illustrator might have in
          relation to Dreamweaver. Yes, that might change over time now that DW is an
          Adobe product. But that is pure speculation at this point.

Walt

"Beverly" <forums@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:eapb0u$n65$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello,
          >
          > I've been using CorelDraw and Frontpage to build sites for several years
          > (mainly b/c that's the software that I had to use) but I am consistently
          > told that I could be doing more with Illustrator and Dreamweaver. I just
          > joined this forum for Dreamweaver help but where do you go for Illustrator
          > help? I saw the Adobe support website but does anyone know of a newsgroup
          > like this that you can subscribe to for Illustrator?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Beverly
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Do you use Illustrator and Dreamweaver to build websites?
            Level 7
            Beverly wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I've been using CorelDraw and Frontpage to build sites for several
            > years (mainly b/c that's the software that I had to use) but I am
            > consistently told that I could be doing more with Illustrator and
            > Dreamweaver. I just joined this forum for Dreamweaver help but where
            > do you go for Illustrator help? I saw the Adobe support website but
            > does anyone know of a newsgroup like this that you can subscribe to
            > for Illustrator?

try alt.graphics.illustrator, and I think there's at least one in
            adobeforums.com

FWIW, Illustrator is a print-based package. Yes, you can develop web
            graphics with it, but the most suitable companion to Dreamweaver is
            Fireworks.

HTH,

Pete.
            --
            Peter Connolly
            http://www.acutecomputing.co.uk
            Derby
            UK
            Skype ID: acutecomputing

• 3. Re: Do you use Illustrator and Dreamweaver to build websites?
              Level 7
              Hello Walt,

Thank you for your response. After dabbling around in Illustrator, the main
              advantage I see that it has over CorelDRAW (which is what I use to layout my
              web page designs) is the shadowing effects. The inner glow, outer glow,
              drop shadow, etc all produce a much more clear and sharp looking effect when
              I export to .jpg. I haven't found the inner or outer glow in DRAW and the
              drop shadows in DRAW just don't seem to compare to Illustrator's. What do
              you think?

Thanks!
              Beverly

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
              news:eapc66$oc2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I use CorelDRAW/PhotoPAINT & Dreamweaver. Personally, I find Illustrator
              >(at
              > least the PC version) vastly inferior to Corel. Notwithstanding that, I
              > can
              > think of no practical reason to switch from Corel to Illustrator if Corel
              > is
              > doing the job for you. I know of no advantage Illustrator might have in
              > relation to Dreamweaver. Yes, that might change over time now that DW is
              > an
              > Adobe product. But that is pure speculation at this point.
              >
              > Walt
              >
              > "Beverly" <forums@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              > news:eapb0u$n65$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> Hello,
              >>
              >> I've been using CorelDraw and Frontpage to build sites for several years
              >> (mainly b/c that's the software that I had to use) but I am consistently
              >> told that I could be doing more with Illustrator and Dreamweaver. I just
              >> joined this forum for Dreamweaver help but where do you go for
              >> Illustrator
              >> help? I saw the Adobe support website but does anyone know of a
              >> newsgroup
              >> like this that you can subscribe to for Illustrator?
              >>
              >> Thanks!
              >> Beverly
              >>
              >>
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Do you use Illustrator and Dreamweaver to build websites?
                Level 7
                > The inner glow, outer glow, drop shadow, etc all produce a much more clear
                > and sharp looking effect when I export to .jpg. I haven't found the inner
                > or outer glow in DRAW and the drop shadows in DRAW just don't seem to
                > compare to Illustrator's. What do you think?

I think people fall in bad habits of relying on special effects all to
                often. ;o)

FYI, Illustrator is a vector illustration program. You can use it to create
                graphics that you later put onto a web page, but it isn't a web developer
                tool by itself.

If you're looking for a good graphics program to use with DW, consider
                Fireworks. Fireworks is designed specifically for web graphics and supports
                both raster and vector artwork.

-Darrel

• 5. Re: Do you use Illustrator and Dreamweaver to build websites?
                  Level 7
                  For web use I don't use effects like glows and drop shadows in Draw. I take
                  the graphic produced in Draw into PhotoPaint and apply effects there. If
                  fact, anything I create in Draw for the web goes through PhotoPaint before
                  it finds its way to DW.

Walt

"Beverly" <forums@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:eaq9r5$do$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Hello Walt,
                  >
                  > Thank you for your response. After dabbling around in Illustrator, the
                  main
                  > advantage I see that it has over CorelDRAW (which is what I use to layout
                  my
                  > web page designs) is the shadowing effects. The inner glow, outer glow,
                  > drop shadow, etc all produce a much more clear and sharp looking effect
                  when
                  > I export to .jpg. I haven't found the inner or outer glow in DRAW and the
                  > drop shadows in DRAW just don't seem to compare to Illustrator's. What do
                  > you think?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > Beverly
                  >
                  > "Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                  > news:eapc66$oc2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > >I use CorelDRAW/PhotoPAINT & Dreamweaver. Personally, I find Illustrator
                  > >(at
                  > > least the PC version) vastly inferior to Corel. Notwithstanding that, I
                  > > can
                  > > think of no practical reason to switch from Corel to Illustrator if
                  Corel
                  > > is
                  > > doing the job for you. I know of no advantage Illustrator might have in
                  > > relation to Dreamweaver. Yes, that might change over time now that DW is
                  > > an
                  > > Adobe product. But that is pure speculation at this point.
                  > >
                  > > Walt
                  > >
                  > > "Beverly" <forums@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  > > news:eapb0u$n65$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > >> Hello,
                  > >>
                  > >> I've been using CorelDraw and Frontpage to build sites for several
                  years
                  > >> (mainly b/c that's the software that I had to use) but I am
                  consistently
                  > >> told that I could be doing more with Illustrator and Dreamweaver. I
                  just
                  > >> joined this forum for Dreamweaver help but where do you go for
                  > >> Illustrator
                  > >> help? I saw the Adobe support website but does anyone know of a
                  > >> newsgroup
                  > >> like this that you can subscribe to for Illustrator?
                  > >>
                  > >> Thanks!
                  > >> Beverly
                  > >>
                  > >>
                  > >
                  > >
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: Do you use Illustrator and Dreamweaver to build websites?
                    Level 7

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                    news:eaqbmb$2qq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > For web use I don't use effects like glows and drop shadows in Draw. I
                    > take
                    > the graphic produced in Draw into PhotoPaint and apply effects there. If
                    > fact, anything I create in Draw for the web goes through PhotoPaint before
                    > it finds its way to DW.

ditto here, Walt. Plus PP's "hidden" vector ability is helpful when having
                    to resize items I've brought over from Draw.

BTW, Beverly, if you're using vector shapes, etc for your graphics, you do
                    NOT want to use the JPG format for exporting. The final product of those
                    files should be GIFs or PNGs - too much lossy artifacting in JPGs to use in
                    things other than photos.

• 7. Re: Do you use Illustrator and Dreamweaver to build websites?
                      Level 1
                      OK, here is the deal...

CorelDRAW! is a great program and does tons of great stuff.
                      Illustrator is a great program and does tons of great stuff.
                      Fireworks is a great program and does tons of great stuff.

You choose.

I use Illustrator the most because I also do a lot of print work. And contrary to what Hunter Elliot says above, I export Illustrator to .jpg all the time and have no problem with it. At 72dpi used for screen display, you can’t discern the lossyness unless you really save it at a high compression. (he is absolutely correct for print work however)

I also use CorelDRAW for some of the envelope effects it applies to text that Illustrator won’t handle the same way.

I use Fireworks for creating vector effects (I really like the lens flare effects you can create) and I use Fireworks when running image scripts with Dreamweaver.

What it boils down to is what you want to do, what you are comfortable with and what you can afford to own.

Like I said, I like Illustrator best, but after you use them, you may like something else better. All of the fancy effects in Illustrator are pretty cool, but the way CorelDRAW handles manipulating lines and shapes is far easier than Illusterator.

So, if you’re used to CorelDRAW and comfortable with what it can do, stick to it. If you feel you like the effects in Illustrator better, learn that, and if you think Fireworks is better suited to Dreamweaver, Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Hope I cleared that up for you…
                      • 8. Re: Do you use Illustrator and Dreamweaver to build websites?
                        Level 1
                        By the way... the part about Dreamweaver being far better than Front page is pretty much true. But it requires a good understanding of HTML coding and CSS styling to release that power.

And... all of the above mentioned graphics programs will yield stunning results if you have the design background to use them with.
                        • 9. Re: Do you use Illustrator and Dreamweaver to build websites?
                          Level 7

"Michael Hager" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          news:ear34i$41k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > contrary to what Hunter Elliot says above, I export Illustrator to .jpg
                          > all the
                          > time and have no problem with it. At 72dpi used for screen display, you
                          > can?t
                          > discern the lossyness unless you really save it at a high compression.
                          > (he is
                          > absolutely correct for print work however)

Michael - I have no quarrel over which vector editor someone uses. But, at
                          least for me, I can see the artifacting on JPGs, especially text.

> What it boils down to is what you want to do, what you are comfortable
                          > with
                          > and what you can afford to own.

definitely agree with ya there.

• 10. Re: Do you use Illustrator and Dreamweaver to build websites?
                            Level 7
                            > But it requires a good understanding of HTML coding and CSS
                            > styling to release that power.

And the irony is that when you gain that understanding, you will no longer
                            find much difference among any of them.

--
                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                            Adobe Community Expert
                            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                            ==================
                            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                            ==================

news:ear39q$4bj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > By the way... the part about Dreamweaver being far better than Front page
                            > is
                            > pretty much true. But it requires a good understanding of HTML coding and
                            > CSS
                            > styling to release that power.
                            >
                            > And... all of the above mentioned graphics programs will yield stunning
                            > results if you have the design background to use them with.
                            >

• 11. Re: Do you use Illustrator and Dreamweaver to build websites?
                              Level 1
                              >And the irony is that when you gain that understanding, you will no longer
                              >find much difference among any of them.

Well, that’s true Murray, but in my experience with Front Page, when you do create in code, the program has a greater tendency to change things for you if you accidentally move or touch something wrong in the design layout view because it sees to think it is smarter than the user.

--------------------

>Michael - I have no quarrel over which vector editor someone uses. But, at
                              >least for me, I can see the artifacting on JPGs, especially text.

Hunter, are you setting your anti aliasing on when you save? I also export my graphics in high resolution (minimum 300dpi) then reset the size and quality in Photoshop. I’m not seeing the artifacting you talk about… but maybe it’s just my old eyes…
                              • 12. Re: Do you use Illustrator and Dreamweaver to build websites?
                                Level 7
                                > Well, that?s true Murray, but in my experience with Front Page, when you
                                > do
                                > create in code, the program has a greater tendency to change things for
                                > you if
                                > you accidentally move or touch something wrong in the design layout view
                                > because it sees to think it is smarter than the user.

Sorry - I just don't have that experience. The biggest problem I have found
                                with current versions of FP (and especially older ones) is that when you
                                know what you are doing, sometimes getting to the stuff you want is very
                                tough in the UI. Not only do they use FP-esque nomenclature, but some
                                functions are 4 levels of panel deep. Touching things in design view has
                                never been a problem if you do not use themes or shared borders.....

--
                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                Adobe Community Expert
                                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                ==================
                                http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                                ==================

news:eavdsh$ec5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > >And the irony is that when you gain that understanding, you will no
                                > >longer
                                > >find much difference among any of them.
                                >
                                > Well, that?s true Murray, but in my experience with Front Page, when you
                                > do
                                > create in code, the program has a greater tendency to change things for
                                > you if
                                > you accidentally move or touch something wrong in the design layout view
                                > because it sees to think it is smarter than the user.
                                >
                                > --------------------
                                >
                                > >Michael - I have no quarrel over which vector editor someone uses. But,
                                > >at
                                > >least for me, I can see the artifacting on JPGs, especially text.
                                >
                                > Hunter, are you setting your anti aliasing on when you save? I also
                                > export my
                                > graphics in high resolution (minimum 300dpi) then reset the size and
                                > quality in
                                > Photoshop. I?m not seeing the artifacting you talk about? but maybe it?s
                                > just
                                > my old eyes?
                                >
                                >