7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 6:43 PM by A.T. Romano

Trouble AE11 and Canopus ADVC110

Hubcap1969 Level 1

I bought a Canopus ADVC110 capture device that arrived last night and after spending a full day, can't get Adobe Elements 11 to recognize this device. I bought the ADVC110 for the sole purpose of converting priceless old VHS tapes to DVD.  Everything I read before i made the purchase indicated ADVC110 works with Adobe Elements 11.   i have plenty of disc space and processing horsepower but capture device is not in the list of "Add Media" options.  It appears you piggy back on the DV camcorder option but i get the following error message: "Your current camera setting is different from your project settings...."  I’ve done everything I can think of so I’m  reaching out for help. Windows 7 OS.  is there an video Obi Wan out there that can help this Padawan

• 1. Re: Trouble AE11 and Canopus ADVC110
          Barbara B. Level 7

Hello, Hubcap1969. This forum is for Photoshop Elements and not that many people here work much with video. I'll move this over to the Premiere Elements forum, since you'll get better help with video questions there.

• 2. Re: Trouble AE11 and Canopus ADVC110
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hubcap1969

When you did the set up, what turned out to be the project preset for Premiere Elements 11 (assumed Windows 7 64 bit).

Check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and look to what it shows for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

You want to be working from NTSC (assuming your computer was installed for NTSC) DV Standard.

Premiere Elements 11 takes over setting the project preset. Just make sure that it has not set is default NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30 instead of your NTSC DV Standard.

This

: "Your current camera setting is different from your project settings....

makes me suspect the above.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Trouble AE11 and Canopus ADVC110
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What Project Setting did you choose?

Depending on where you live, it should be NTSC, or PAL DV Standard 4:3.

Good luck, and that Canopus will work with PrE 11, when connected to the VHS deck, and FireWire to the computer. You will not have device control, as the VHS deck will be connected via composite cables, which are one-way only, but with a hand on the mouse and a hand on the deck's remote, you can get that down quickly.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Trouble AE11 and Canopus ADVC110
                Hubcap1969 Level 1

Ahh - thanks do much. Newbie as u can see

Jerry Hubbard

iPhone

• 5. Re: Trouble AE11 and Canopus ADVC110
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jerry Hubbard

I forgot to mention...to set the project preset yourself...before you start the capture....

File Menu/New/Project

then in the new project dialog select NTSC DV Standard (for your program was installed for NTSC)

make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project". Exit the new project dialog and proceed with your DV data capture firewire into the Premiere Elements 11 Capture Window.

Not sure of your background on DV HDV data capture firewire, so just in case, this Adobe document on Capture may be helpful

http://help.adobe.com/fr_FR/premiereelements/using/WS5CDA0F91-60F1-4b79-ABF6-E9E75F498DB2. html#WS2AF26FB5-4C63-4c46-9DB3-7249558F6528

ATR

• 6. Re: Trouble AE11 and Canopus ADVC110
                    Hubcap1969 Level 1

YOU ROCK A.T. Romano…PROBLEM SOLVED! (((user error as usual))) Just as you suspected, had settings at  NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30, great for new video projects with my JVC HM-150U video camera but not so good trying to capture the 1986 family reunion coming off VHS  tape. 

Thanks for the additional info.  My overall experience level is probably slightly better than the average amateur, which might sound odd with the dumb question i  posted. I did many projects working with PrE 4 on another 32 bit computer but this is the first capture job I’ve attempted in several years. PrE 4 didn't want to work with the new 64bit Windows 7 PC but the upgrade to PrE 11 fixed that.  And having this group to communicate with,, well,, it just doesn't get any better for someone like me - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Last question - do you (anyone) have an opinion as to the difference in quality between old VHS captured with the Canopus ADVC 300 vs ADVC 110?  I bought ADVC 110 before i learned there was a 300.  If the difference working with old VHS tapes in particular is significant, it’s worth it to me to upgrade even though i just bought ADVC 110. I probably have ~250 hours of old VHS to eventually work thru.

• 7. Re: Trouble AE11 and Canopus ADVC110
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hubcap1969

Great, great news. "PROBLEM SOLVED". Glad that worked for you.

As for Canopus ADVC 110 vs 300...I have neither but the following online article that goes to that question may be helpful

http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2781

Google search is loaded with all sorts of comments on the subject. If I read the online information correctly, even the 300 is discontinued. What next in models, I wonder?

Do a mini test run with what you have to get a baseline for quality, then decide.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR