17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 2:31 PM by A.T. Romano

ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements

jeriann3

Anyone know who I can contact for support with the issue of ORGANIZER causing Premiere Elements 11 to crash. As soon as I start a project and clik on organizer to add media, the message "Organizer has stopped working.... " etc appear and the programs crashes. NOT GOOD!

I'm running on a Dell XPS 8700, 64 bit, 16 gig of ram, plenty of computer power?

thanks .. Jeri Ann

• 1. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeri Ann

1. Are you getting the problem

a. when you click on the Organizer Tab at the bottom of the Premiere Elements 11 Windows interface

b. when you click on Add Media/Elements Organizer

c. Organizer tab in the Welcome Screen

or

d. All of the above

2. How much content do you now have in the Elements Organizer 11? How long have you had Premiere Elements 11? Do you have Photoshop Elements 11 as well? If so, can you get into the Elements Organizer accessed from Photoshop Elements? Is your problem the type "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before"?

3. Since you cannot get into the Elements Organizer 11, let us try flushing the preferences by deleting the psa.prf file. In Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, it is found:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in this Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you delete.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active in order to see the path.

Another approach to this would be:

Get to the Premiere Elements 11 Welcome Screen where you see a tab for Organizer and Editor.

As you hold down on the Shift Ctrl Alt keys (altogether), mouse left click and hold down on the Organizer tab for about 15 seconds.

You should get a pop up saying "Delete the Elements Organizer Settings file?". Click Yes to that.

Let us know how that works and then we can decide what next.

You can try to discuss this matter with Adobe Chat. Make sure that the service is free beforehand. For that purpose I would suggest the following link and click on "I still need help" tab to get the Adobe Chat pop up to initiate the communication.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=using-my-product-or-se rvice

But, I think that we can help you here.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
            jeriann3 Level 1

ATR - many thanks for prompt reply!   To answer questions, I was trying to access ORGANIZER both from opening screen and from TAB with the program, thus getting the crash and "stopped working... mssg".   Utilizing your method described above to "Delete the Elements Organizer Setting file" worked for me.. but, some of the thumbs of the previous import of videos are now looking corrupted, red and greens lines, etc... however clicking on the thumbs does display the footage, I just can't tell what that footage is until clicking on it.  Oddly, this appears randomly on "some of the thumbs" not all.

To back-track a bit, I had just purchased and installed the program Premiere Elements 11 on my PC-based computer, I have Elements 10 on my MAC. 

Then after going thru about 1500 video clips in Lightroom 5, keywording, etc I attempted to bring these into ORGANIZER so that I might use the media browser within the program itself.  It seemed to import all 1500 files OK, and I clicked on a few thumbs, viewed the footage etc.  Then took a break, and the next time I tried to start up the program is when I was no longer able to use ORGANIZER and was getting the "stopped working... messages".

Is there a way to reindex the Organizer catalog so that it might clear up the corrupted thumbnails at this point?

Your help os MUCH appreciated!

• 3. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jeriann3

From what you wrote, are in now in the Elements Organizer 11 Windows? If so, then we could explore the following:

a. Are the problematic Organizer thumbnails representing video or photo that you have imported into the Elements Organizer? If video, it may be the format of the video that is causing the issue. If video, what are its properties including video and audio compression and file extension? If you have not already, right click the problem thumbnail and select Update Thumbnail from the pop up menu. If that does not work, the information on the video format might give us direction in addressing the issue.

b. Another thought might be to create a new catalog. That would mean putting aside the one that you are using now, not deleting it. Then import your good files into the Elements Organizer new catalog. To create a new catalog, in the Elements Organizer, go to File Menu/Manage Catalogs/ and create a new catalog.

See how that goes. Even though you are coming at this from the point of view of the Elements Organizer 11 Windows accessed from Premiere Elements Windows, we might direct you to the Photoshop Elements Forum and user such as MichelB from Paris who is exceptionally gifted in matters such as these and has the expertise to coordinate your work in Elements Organizer with what you have done in Lightroom.

I am going to be calling it a day. I will watch for your follow up in the morning.

Thanks for your follow up. We will keep the deletion of the settings file on your list in case we need it again in this troubleshooting.

ATR

• 4. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                rl550

I'm having a similar problem. I just got the Premier 11 downloaded. I use Windows on a Dell computer. Plenty of space and ram. Organizer opened at first. Then it stopped opening. The Video part is okay. Now Organizer stoppend working again. When I click on it the welcome window just dissapears. I also have Elements 6 on my computer. Lots of pictures but little video. All the helps seem to start with opening Organizer first which is fine except mine doesn't open. I can find my way around my computer but am not really computer savy. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dave

• 5. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

Three things to look at:

1. Deleting the Elements Organizer setting file, that psa.prf file. Did you do that yet? Details are as mentioned in the earlier post in this thread.

3. Since you cannot get into the Elements Organizer 11, let us try flushing the preferences by deleting the psa.prf file. In Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, it is found:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in this Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you delete.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active in order to see the path.

Another approach to this would be:

Get to the Premiere Elements 11 Welcome Screen where you see a tab for Organizer and Editor.

As you hold down on the Shift Ctrl Alt keys (altogether), mouse left click and hold down on the Organizer tab for about 15 seconds.

You should get a pop up saying "Delete the Elements Organizer Settings file?". Click Yes to that.

2. We could talk about creating a new catalog if you can get into the Elements Organizer. In Elements Organizer workspace, File Menu/Manage Catalgs. Go to the Task Manager/Processes to assure that your "Elements 6" is not opened. If it is, then End Process.

Please remind us, is that Elements 6, Photoshop Elements. I am assuming it is since there is no Premiere Elements 6.

3. Right click the Premiere Elements 11 desktop icon, select Properties, and then Open File Location.

That will take you to the Adobe Premiere Elements 11.exe file. Right next to it is the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file. Create a shortcut to the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file and use that shortcut thereafter to open Premiere Elements, bypassing the Welcome Screen.

Then see if you can open the Elements Organizer from the Premiere Elements Expert workspace

a. From the Organizer tab at the bottom of the interface

as well as

b. Add Media/Elements Organizer

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                    rl550 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks so much for your prompt response.

2. I am using Elements 6, Photoshop Elements.

This morning I opened Premier and lo and behold Organizer opened normal. This is what drives me crazy......sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Now that it is open I will attempt to delete the psa.prf file.

I'll keep you posted.

Dave

• 7. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave,

Glad to learn that the Elements Organizer is working. We will be watching for further developments.

If the problem surfaces again, please open the Task Manager/Processes and look for the possibility of an open Photoshop Elements 6 Elements Organizer process. If you see it, then End Process for it and see if you can open your Premiere Elements 11 Elements Organizer 11.

I have run into a curious situation recently wherein my Premiere Elements 11 stopped opening at "Importquicktime.prm". Does not happen all the time. My 100% fix for this is to go to the Task Manager/Processes and End Process for the "Elements Organizer Sync Agenet.exe" which is coming from Elements Organizer 8 (also have Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on the same computer with version 11). This situation started only recently and am not sure why but at least, for now, I have control over the situation.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 8. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                        rl550 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Where do I find the Task Manager/Process? Sorry for the basic question but I looked on all the drop down items in the top of premier organizer and video and on my computer and can't seem to locate the path.

Thanks for the patience.

Dave

• 9. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave,

On Windows 7 64 bit, right click the Taskbar and select Task Manager. And, then click on the Processes tab of the Task Manager.

(Taskbar is the horizontal strip that runs horizonally across the bottom of the interface when you open Windows).

I just learned something that I did not know before...there is a Windows 7 shortcut for opening the Task Manager

Ctrl + Shift + Esc.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                            rl550 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for that information. Found it.

When I attempt to End Process of Photoshop Elements Organizer.exe *32 I get a pretty ominous warning about if an open program is associated with this process, it will close and I will lose any unsaved data. If I end a system process, it might result in an unstable system. Am I sure I want to continue?

So I guess my question is Do I want to continue? No problem, but I don't know enough to be sure on my own. Is this the right process I want to disable?

Thanks,

Dave

• 11. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

rl550

If you End Process for Photoshop Elements Organizer.exe, all you should get is the program closed.

In the circumstances when I am forced to close an Elements program this way, I have not run into unstable system.

But, consider, if you find the Photoshop Elements 6 open in the Task Manager/Processes and you have not opened the program, then it would be best to close it this way. This Photoshop Elements Organizer.exe*32 is from Photoshop Elements 6?

When I open my Photoshop Elements 6 in Windows 7 64 bit and look in Task Manager/Process, I see Photoshop Elements Organizer.exe, no *32 after it.  Photoshop Elements has been and still is a 32 bit application even running in a 64 bit system.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                                rl550 Level 1

ATR,

In expanding the description block I find that the description is Elements 11 Organizer. The Image name is PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe*32. There doesn't seem to be an item called Photoshop Elements Organizer.exe in the Task Manager. A number of the items seem to have the exe.32 command.

Thanks,

Dave

• 13. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rl550

After you close Premiere Elements 11 Elements Organizer 11 the normal way, are you still finding it listed in the Task Manager/Processes?

ATR

• 14. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                                    rl550 Level 1

ATR,

No, the Elements items are not there.

Dave

• 15. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

rl550

Thanks for that additional information.

What is the operating status of the Premiere Elements 11 Elements Organizer 11 at this time? Is it stable or is it still going back and forth between working and not working?

ATR

• 16. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                                        rl550 Level 1

ATR,

Today it has been working fine. I've been in and out of several times. I'm working through Classroom in a Book for it and have had no issues.

Thanks so much for all your help. It was maddening to have it stop working a couple of times since I bought it. Seems to be okay for now.

Dave

• 17. Re: ELEMENT ORGANIZER is crashing Premiere 11 elements
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave,

Great news.

ATR