7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2013 7:09 AM by Steven L. Gotz

Can you flatten nested files? (Split Screen Edit)

HALDI CREATIVE

I am editing a music video that utilizes split screen shots of full takes of performances, shot from three seperate cameras with slightly different angles. To make this streamline I synched up all my different takes, edited them into split screen, then nested them so I can use them as single clips to make selects from. I am wondering if there is a way to flatten these sequences out so they wont be so hard on my computer. Playback in the program box is completely staggered even at 1/4 quality.

Below is an image of how my files are set up:

Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 10.04.01 PM.png

Below is what the edit looks like for your reference. Each of the clips below the Cerulean clips are nested sequences composed of three subclips one on top of the other and cropped:

Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 11.29.22 PM.png

I'm sure I went about this all wrong somehow, but with what I have is there any way to flatten those nested sequences into single clips? They are all synched and have crop options so I am not concerned with making changes to them beyond cc and edits to the entire nest.

I am working in Premier Pro CC (up to date) with

QuickTime ProRes files

1280 x 720

00;03;34;23, 59.94 fps

48000 Hz - Multichannel

Thanks for your help if you have any.

• 1. Re: Can you flatten nested files? (Split Screen Edit)
          strypesinpost Level 2

Hmm.. If you were trying to do a multicam edit, you could actually just throw everything into a bin, and use "create multicamera sequence". Not sure why you cropped them, unless you were going for a specific effect.

If you want to make a multicamera edit from the synced clips, (and duplicate your project before you do this). You can remove the scaling and cropping on the clips, right click on the nest in the timeline (select video only), and choose "multicamera>enable". When you switch over to multicamera mode, you will now be able to do a multicamera edit. You can also toggle the playback resolution to help with real time playback of the multicamera angles.

Not sure if that's what you are looking for.

• 2. Re: Can you flatten nested files? (Split Screen Edit)
            HALDI CREATIVE Level 1

Thanks for the feedback, but no, I am already doing the multicam and working with nested, nested sequences. I know its a bit confussing. I am essentially using the nest function to make "Folders" to hold the three clips so I can crop and split screen them and edit them as one clip. I was wondering if I could somehow "Flatten" the three clip split screen "Folders" so I could edit them as one clip instead of three files in a "folder", which obviously takes more work from the computer.

Pardon my photoshop terms but I am a photoshop pro and just starting to learn premier...

• 3. Re: Can you flatten nested files? (Split Screen Edit)
              strypesinpost Level 2

Is the split screen the final video "effect" you are going for? In video editing terms, if you do a picture in picture edit, it's usually called a "composite shot". It seems to me that you are going for a multicamera edit with some composite shots as opposed to editing 28 composited elements within a frame, since you mentioned pulling selects.

So that's how I would edit it - with the multicam feature, and overlay the angles when I want to do a picture in picture composite.

There are some differences between the video editing world and the photography world. Usually when editors mention "edit", it is about sequential arrangement of clips in a timeline. When we stack videos vertically as an effect, we are trying to make a "composite". And when we create a multicamera sequence to hold 3 shots together in sync, so we can switch between angles and preserve sync between the videos as one object in the timeline, it's called a multicamera edit.

In general, when you have multiple camera footage playing at the same time, it takes more system resources and in many cases, you will need a faster drive to handle the real time playback of all the angles. In your case, you have 28 elements within a frame. With the multicamera feature, when you are not in multicamera mode, it only decodes the active camera angle.

Premiere Pro has a group function, which will group (or link) a bunch of clips together. And there is nesting. Nesting is usually for effects work, such as when you are trying to manipulate 3 angles within a frame at the same time, such as when you want to animate a fly in or a zoom in on 3 composited elements and you want uniform movement on them.

This video shows how to do a multicamera edit in CS6. There has been some improvements in the multicamera workflow in Premiere Pro CC, but this should get you started:

http://podcasts.creativecow.net/adobe-premiere-tutorials-podcast/premiere-pro-cs6-techniqu es-106-multicamera-workflow

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can you flatten nested files? (Split Screen Edit)
                HALDI CREATIVE Level 1

Thanks so much, it's tough being new to software. People who are well versed can often talk down which is frustrating as I am only new to editing, not computers or Adobe software (just have always concentrated in ArtDirection/Design/Illustration. Would be great to take a class, but I unfortunately am learning piece meal by tutorials, which are varied, as there are so many different ways to get the same thing done. Really appreciate your patience and practical advice.

For the record I tried to do this with multicam originally but I had too many shots (40) and it wouldnt allow me to select 10 of the cameras (the post is up here somewhere). I called Adobe and I may have discovered a bug aparently through my amature workflow. But, that is why I had to group the cropped images somehow. Its a slow process, but I'm just attempting to edit with the choppy playback for the time being. Hopefully I can export a file that will serve as a good guide to what needs fixing... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

• 5. Re: Can you flatten nested files? (Split Screen Edit)
                  strypesinpost Level 2

Basically, where you are at is what we would call “render land”. Put it in a long sequence, render for playback, and if you make edits, you may have to re-render.

Rendering (create preview files) will bring down the clip to something that can be played back in real time.

• 6. Re: Can you flatten nested files? (Split Screen Edit)
                    Greg Popp Level 1

I've cut music videos like this and I simply synced all the takes and laid them one on top of the other - no multicam and without nested "split screens".  Then, you work your way up and down the pile, reviewing an angle, turning the track off, rewinding, viewing another angle, and so on.  When you find the bit you like, you "cut" it out (blade tool finally works well in CC) and move it up to the new, hero edit track, building from left to right as you go (using the new CC keystroke - I think option-up arrow).

It is in my opinion the best way to cut a music video - better than multicam.

You're close to the right approach!

• 7. Re: Can you flatten nested files? (Split Screen Edit)
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

First of all, welcome to the world of moving images! I am moving the other direction, toward stills, so I know what you mean about being an expert in one program and a novice at another. Finding the right words can be difficult.

Just remember that one picture is worth - well - lots of words. So, please post an image of your timeline, or your particular issue when it may help to communicate the problem. Fortunately these forums allow you to post a screen grab very easily. I use a free program called "Snipping Tool" and I always capture to "capture.png" over and over. Then I post that image. I can even post multiple images in one post if need be, each time using capture.png as I capture new screenshots while describing something.

If I understand you correctly, you are effectively using layers (multiple tracks) of videos to achieve a split screen effect. Choppy playback may be from trying to pull a lot of information from each clip off of your disk drive all at once. If that is the case, if you have a RAID, you might move your video over to that. Or a SSD. Something faster than where your videos are now.

If that is not possible, or you are already doing that and there are just too many videos to get the info off all at one time, rendering is the first thing to try. By rendering, Premiere Pro users mean pressing the Enter key and letting Premiere Pro create preview files. To us, exporting is exporting, not rendering. That is a common issue with semantics around here.

You may also be able to reduce the quality of the playback in the Program Monitor window to less than full, and get less choppy playback.

Or, if you are pretty much done with slicing and dicing everything, exporting to a visually lossless codec like Lagarith, while creating large files, allows you to just have one file, effectively flattening the image.

Please note that After Effects is a better compositing program and if you stack 1000 videos on to the screen, it will process everything for as long as it needs to in order to get you a file that you can export and use in Premiere Pro, or maybe just use Dynamic Link to play the After Effects composition in Premiere Pro.

If you would, perhaps providing information about the type of media you are using, the frame size, frame rate, codec, and information about your computer and the drives you are using, would help us guide you just a bit better.