25 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 8:11 PM by JEShort01

Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects

Troy_w1 Level 1

Hi guys, I had an old post a month or so back, and now after a few more jobs have got the dollars together to get my new rig going. I have decided to throw an extra $500 into making sure i get the somthing with real power for intensive editing (im doing more and more after effects projects lately) and also somthing that will stand the test of time before needing another upgrade. I edit mainly events, corporate and commercials plus short films, prem for most, AF for motion graphics and fx.

Here was my previous thoughts, though am considering stepping it up a notch ,and also running a hackintosh OS. Id love to get some golden advice from the likes of Harm and other well seasoned rig builders.

CPU Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor

MOBO Asus P9X79 PRO LGA2011 Motherboard

MEM GSKILL RIPJAWS 1600MHZ 32GB (4X8GB)

HDD/OS CRUCIAL M500 240GB  (PROBABLY X 2 , ONE FOR ASUS SSD CACHE OR MEDIA CACHE)

HDD WD BLACK 3GB X 2

PS CORSAIR HX1050V2 GOLD SEMI-MOD PS

COOL COOLMASTER X6 CPU COOLER

CASE FRACTAL R4 MID TOWER

GPU

I have a  GTX570 OC 1280MB new in box, im unsure whether to get another 2nd hand and run in SLI or consider A 670-770 ETC (WOULD LOVE ADVICE ON THIS )

I know similar posts saturate the forums, i have done a lotta research but would love some personnel advice from some of the guys i know have done this 100 times over.

Oh and budget around $1500-$2000 just the box.

Thanks in adv.

Troy

• 1. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
          Troy_w1 Level 1

ok, seen a comment from Harm that Cuda no longer supports SLI .. if this still stands very dissapointed, means i may have to loose money on a brand new card (partially my fault for sitting on the decision for so long but workload and necessary equipment purchases stopped me)

in addition ill be adding a blackmagic 4k card for 10bit preview, my cam is avchd natively but i use the BM shuttle to record 10 bit for film & broadcast

• 2. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
            JEShort01 Level 4

Troy,

You build looks fine, but you may want to consider upping to 64GB on the RAM for After Effects; 32GB is fine for Premiere.

Regarding the video card - whether or not dual cards help out - it depends. Premiere Pro CC supports more than one video card (SLI cable is not required), whereas the earlier versions (CS5/5.5/6) can only use one card. And then, from my testing dual graphics cards helpse massively for DVD rendering and very little for anything else.

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
              Troy_w1 Level 1

Thanks Jim,

I do plan the additional ram, just may not hit the budget right at this stage, thought the extra bucks might be better spend making the system complete and memory is an easy upgrade after a few more jobs come in.

I am running CS6 at the moment, though will now way up the price to either get CC , or buy bigger graphics card.

from my testing dual graphics cards helpse massively for DVD rendering and very little for anything else.

That is really good to know, i do a lot of DVD rendering for event coverage etc. would this be rendering in general ?

I would have imagined that rendering an mpeg2 dvd would be very similar proccess wise to rendering .h264 or quicktime for net based video also

• 4. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                JEShort01 Level 4

One might think that rendering is rendering, but actually no, GPU horsepower does not help all rendering.

H.264 is very cpu intensive, whereas DVD rendering (from HD for example) is doing more pure video scaling. The PPBM6 benchmark (www.ppbm7.com) is a great tool to check out your system. You can try before / after changes to drive configuration, etc. and also compare your results with those that have been reported by other users.

I just looked up some results of my personal testing for DVD rendering that could be of interest to you:

- PPBM6 DVD render w/ i7-970 6-core (not as fast as your new 3930k) and single GTX 480 using CS6 = 33 seconds

- PPBM6 DVD render w/ Dell T7600 dual Xeon and single (or dual) GTX Titan using CS6 = 23 seconds

- PPBM6 DVD render w/ Dell T7600 dual Xeon and single GTX Titan using CC = 21 seconds

- PPBM6 DVD render w/ Dell T7600 dual Xeon and dual GTX Titan using CC = 12 seconds

And for the Blu-ray test (GPU changes hardly impacted these results at all):

- PPBM6 blu-ray (h.264) render with i7-970 6-core = 220 seconds

- PPBM6 blu-ray render with Dual Xeon Dell T7600 (e5-2687w cpus) = 68 seconds

Note too that you will also need a pretty fast disk system to prevent it being the bottleneck for fast DVD renders; for blu-ray renders, you don't need to have nearly as much disk i/o capability to keep up with the rest of the system.

System hardware balance is so important, but is impacted by which version of CS/CC, your media, project size, workflow, etc.

Regards,

Jim

• 5. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                  Troy_w1 Level 1

yea, bit of an oversight by me then, I totally understand the GPU will handle downscaling just like other effects but not standard render.

I have got the ppbm6 , but never used it will get the latest for setup and tweaking when i get this new machine.

Thanks again for the test results they are always helpfull, thinking that the Titans are out of budget atm, did you have any with the i7 970 and a titan for a comparison there between same system and the two cards ?

Funny thing on the blue ray, i have been meaning to setup for blueray for quite a while, and most of my public clients always do the classic, we want HD DVD's, then comes the explanation and they still go for DVD cause not everyone has blueray lol

Just for interest, what did you t7600 machine set you back and is it the titans creating such a difference in the render times ?

Note too that you will also need a pretty fast disk system to prevent it being the bottleneck for fast DVD renders; for blu-ray renders, you don't need to have nearly as much disk i/o capability to keep up with the rest of the system.

System hardware balance is so important, but is impacted by which version of CS/CC, your media, project size, workflow, etc.

I plan on running Os/progs on SSD, and cache on SSD, prob WD blacks for media.

looking into CC, atm its CS6 , media is mostly avchd and up to 150GB projects usually i clean up and have no more than 2 layers by the end.

My workflow is pretty standard, import , full edit, titles & graphics,clean up, sound mix, transitions and effects then export.

• 6. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                    JEShort01 Level 4

I have not added up the total cost of the Dell T7600 Super Titan, but I never did plan to afford it. Detailed specs and full test results can be found here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5585487#5585487

Your current plans sound fine, and for two layer HD work, etc. CS6 should serve you fine. Definitely get the recent CS6 patch that fixes some AVCHD issues various users have been having for a long, long, time.

Regards,

Jim

• 7. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                      Troy_w1 Level 1

thanks again Jim

I have not added up the total cost of the Dell T7600 Super Titan, but I never did plan to afford it. Detailed specs and full test results can be found here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5585487#5585487

I can see why, a monster which could be traded for a car if need be

Your current plans sound fine, and for two layer HD work, etc. CS6 should serve you fine. Definitely get the recent CS6 patch that fixes some AVCHD issues various users have been having for a long, long, time.

I mostly am editing with 10 layers or so, but i try to clean up before adding and trans\effects etc.

I think you forgot a few "long"s hehe yea ive had my share of missing sound etc. have work arounds for them all but 30mins down the drain when it should just work is always a pain in the butt.

I will still be undecided to go CC so i can use two cards, without buying a higher card id just be using the GTX570 OC , i can't shake the feeling that after effects would lap up the extra. Also im assuming that AE support Dual cards too ?

Any other advice as to where i might suffer bottlenecks ?

I'm yet to use raid arrays, most projects being under 100GB wasn't sure it would be worth it, could always drop the project on an SSD if it was really bad but the blacks should hold up. Also I may be doing 4k footage soon which may present more requirements.

Past these points i just need to figure out if Asus SSD caching is worthy, and delve into the realm of OC, which i have yet to do.

• 8. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                        Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Troy_w1 wrote:

CASE FRACTAL R4 MID TOWER

I would go with a full size case --  more room for cooling and expansion.

• 10. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                          Troy_w1 Level 1

Good point John & Peru.

My previous case was cooler master and believe or not at one stage in winter i had issues with it running too cold, even rebooted on me multiple times til I d/c'd a fan.

That ones not bad, after looking a little might go a storm  trooper , lots of hdd bays (14) & space, xdock seems a cool idea but im weary after reports of a bad batch that fried many hd's. Anyone else had experience with xdock in any case ?

• 11. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                            UlfLaursen Level 2

I have a few of the privious Fractal Design, the R3, and they are great. On the R4 I can see they have 2 x USB 3.0 and reset button on the top too, which is good imo.

Ulf

• 12. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                              Troy_w1 Level 1

I did consider the XL R2 from fractal, even the phantom530 is pretty neat, though not sure if i really need to walk into the liquid cooling realm.

Jim or John, even with running 1-2 GTX570's (which I know are a little warmer than later cards) with a decent case and fans i shouldn't have any need to look into liquid cooling at all should I ?

• 13. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                                Troy_w1 Level 1

Also i had picked the ripjaws 1600's any reason to consider other brands from experience ?

• 14. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                                  Troy_w1 Level 1

Ok so im heavily considering these two cases, enough room for a raid config if i ever go that route, I have 5 HDD's in my current setup so 9 spaces sounds really good. Layout, fans etc look good, any opinions, or even better anyone had either of these cases

COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1) Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119245

COOLER MASTER Storm Stryker SGC-5000W-KWN1 Black and White Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119260

Still open to any other recommendations, looks like ill be biting the bullet in the next 2 days and getting everything together, I will keep posting progress as well as some benchmarks tests once done for others to follow.

• 15. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                                    Troy_w1 Level 1

A note on power supply,

I was going to go a 1050W , but think that this 850W should be more than enough, what do you guys think

Corsair HX850v2 850W 80PLUS Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply (CMPSU-850HXv2)

• 16. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                                      UlfLaursen Level 2

Troy_w1 wrote:

A note on power supply,

I was going to go a 1050W , but think that this 850W should be more than enough, what do you guys think

Corsair HX850v2 850W 80PLUS Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply (CMPSU-850HXv2)

I have this PSU in one of my machines with Asus X79 Pro, GTX570, 2 SSD, 4 HDD, Matrox MXO2 mini (don't know how much power it uses) and it seems to be fine.

Have you had a look at this page:

http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/

There is another calculator, which I think is better, but it is temp down:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Ulf

• 17. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                                        Troy_w1 Level 1

Thanks for that Ulf, looks like I better go with the 1050W after all, even then i would have to monitor it, atm i will only use one gts570, but will likely add another soon for boosting after effects. The 570's take up a bit of power the difference between 1 and 2 is about 300W.

• 18. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                                          Troy_w1 Level 1

As an update, here is my current list of items and prices (local Australia prices so may differ a little)

For Premier I'm sure i could get away with 16GB of Ram but after effects will gobble up the other 16GB.

Asus P9X79 PRO LGA2011 ATX Motherboard (P9X79 PRO)

$319.00
                                          Intel Core i7 3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz 12MB Retail Box - NO FAN (BX80619I73930K)   $660.00  
                                          Cooler Master X6 CPU Cooler (RR-X6NN-19PR-R1)

$69.00
                                          G.Skill 32GB Kit (4x8GB) DDR3 Ripjaws Z C10 1600MHz (F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL) $316.00  
                                          Cooler Master Storm Trooper Full Tower Case (SGC5000KKN1)

$154.00
                                          Corsair HX1050v2 1050W 80PLUS Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply (CP-9020033-AU)$299.00  
                                          Crucial M500 2.5" 240GB SSD SATA3 500/250 (CT240M500SSD1)
                                               $229.00
                                          Western Digital Caviar Black WD3001FAEX 3.5" 3TB 64MB 7200RPM (WD3001FAE$229.00  

TOTAL
                                            $2,275.00
                                          • 19. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                                            Troy_w1 Level 1

Just found someone locally selling a used GTX590 for only $350 , there is also a 670 for only 300 , my impression was id be better of with the 590 , its 3gb im pretty sure and 670 only 2GB , i know there are other factors involved but what do you think ?

I could pair this with my 570OC and upgrade to CC.

• 20. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                                              Troy_w1 Level 1

well i missed that card went really quick at that price, bit disapointed but all well.

One final question for anyone who is good with HDD's ...

I am looking at a 3tb wd black, should i consider may 3 x 1gb , or 2 x 500gb in raid and 1 x 2tb ...

Ive always avioded raid setups for some reason, and i don't have a raid card either, just want squeeze the max out of the components all round.

• 22. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                                                Troy_w1 Level 1

Well I have got my rig together and am about to run the ppbm and see how it fares.

I changed a couple of small things so here is my final parts list with the changes in bold:

Asus P9X79 PRO LGA2011 ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i7 3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz 12MB Retail Box - NO FAN  

Noctua NH-U12 CPU Cooler  (the x6 wouldn't fit in the case nicely)

G.Skill 32GB Kit (4x8GB) DDR3 Ripjaws Z C10 1600MHz

Cooler Master Storm Stryker

Corsair HX1050v2 1050W 80PLUS Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply

Samsung 840 PRO serious 2.5" 256GB SSD SATA3 540/520 (faster and better rated SSD for OS)

Western Digital Caviar Black WD3001FAEX 3.5" 3TB 64MB 7200RPM

Really happy with the parts and the case so far. The case is pretty huge but impressive. The 3 fans are pretty silent and there is fan speed control on the front of the case.

As mentioned earlier the SSD hotswap will be a real timesaver for me with the Black Magic shuttle SSD's,

Here are a couple of photos of the setup

This was the smaller Noctua fan can you believe.                                    The fans on the right are over the HD bays

IMG_6665.JPGIMG_6664.JPG

Im proud to say my best cable management to date                                                         Fired up with the case on

IMG_6668.JPGIMG_6673.PNG

• 23. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                                                  UlfLaursen Level 2

Congrats - it looks nice

I have a couple of the Samsung 840 Pro's as well, and they are great performance, and here in DK they have a great price point too

Ulf

• 24. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                                                    Troy_w1 Level 1

Thanks Ulf !

Well i did my first run OTB with the PPBM6 without much tweaking before hand.

Disk write rate was 159.19 MB/S  ,.. thats with os and progs on SSD and all media preview, cache on the WD Black 3tb.

MPE gain scored at 14.5 which was a 37seconds with GPU compared to 537 without.

During the H.264 encode CPU core temps reached around 72 overall, individually max was 75 degrees.

will play round see if i can squeeze a bit more out, think having another WD black will make a difference having cache and preview on a different drive to source media.

• 25. Re: Video Editing Rig - Prem pro & After effects
                                                      JEShort01 Level 4

Troy,

Good job!

Your #'s look good. I would agree that adding another rotating drive (or 2!) would be a good balance for your rig, but would suggest doing a RAID 0 instead of configuring the HDs as multiple single drives. There are many users still preaching 1 for read, 1 for write, 1 for cache, etc., but my testing has indicated that with a fast system like yours (nice cpu choice!) and lots of RAM (Windows using unused RAM for caching) you will get better performance out of the RAID 0 configuration for just about every workflow.

Your system is fresh and with drives close to empty if you add additional disk(s) you can test with PPBM6 both ways and report back with your findings.

Regards,

Jim