wondering if there was an xtra or alternative solution currently
      available that would allow a Director movie to automatically forward
      ports on a UPnP router as needed.

I have a P2P game that requires users to do this manually (if they have
      a NAT address). It's no surprise that this is beyond the ability of
      the average person. It would be very nice to be able to handle this
      without the user having to do it.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Is there a UPnP xtra available today?
          Level 7
          > It would be very nice to be able to handle this without the user having to
          > do it.
          One thing you should be aware of is that in order for UPnP to work, the
          router must have UPnP enabled. In most routers, this used to be the default
          setting. However, I've come across a couple of routers lately that have UPnP
          off by default. Maybe that was the exception, but, these days, security
          seems to be a major concern - and quite a pain for the developers who want
          to bypass it.
          Anyway, if UPnP is not enabled, the user will have to do so. Easier than
          setting up port forwarding, usually just a checkbox to be checked, but still
          requires the user to be able to logon to the router.

"Dave C" <no@no.com> wrote in message
          news:fmg6b1$t7q$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I know there is at least one developer working on this, but I was wondering
          >if there was an xtra or alternative solution currently available that would
          >allow a Director movie to automatically forward ports on a UPnP router as
          >needed.
          >
          > I have a P2P game that requires users to do this manually (if they have a
          > NAT address). It's no surprise that this is beyond the ability of the
          > average person. It would be very nice to be able to handle this without
          > the user having to do it.
          >
          > Thanks.

• 2. Re: Is there a UPnP xtra available today?
            Level 7
            Good point about PnP being disabled by default. I have to admit that is
            how it should be for security purposes. If users can turn it on, then
            they probably can manage the port forwarding as well.

Oh well. Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Is there a UPnP xtra available today?
              Level 7
              Far as know-how is concearned, yes, that's true.
              However, having to manually setup the mapping for each app is a pain, even
              if you know how to do it.
              So, being able to talk upnp is helpfull for both advanced and novice users.
              Advanced users won't have to bother creating the mapping.
              Novice users will just have to enable upnp, rather than create the NAT
              mapping - I sure wouldn't want to provide client support for the last.

"Dave C" <no@no.com> wrote in message
              news:fmlh57$1jv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Good point about PnP being disabled by default. I have to admit that is
              > how it should be for security purposes. If users can turn it on, then they
              > probably can manage the port forwarding as well.
              >
              > Oh well. Thanks.