8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2013 7:44 AM by John T Smith

Bogging down

westevee

I have a new computer; a Lenovo Desktop with 12 GB DDR3 memory and 1 TB Harddrive and an NVidia GT620 graphic card.  I have Adobe Premiere 11, and cannot figure out why it is bogging down only 2:40 into my project. This was happening on my laptop, and I was told I didn't have enough computer for the program, so now I have enough computer and I am still having issues.  Clearly, I am doing something wrong.  I have loaded 16 still clips onto the timeline. I have two titles on two idffernt clips, I have lots of pan and zooms and I have many transitions. I do not have any of my actual video clips that I want to add in, nor do I have any music or narration that I had planned on adding.  I was thinking I woud end up with about a 20 minute presentation. However, with only 2:40 on my timeline, with it rendered, it stops 51 seconds in.  If I push play again, it will continue until 1:57, and then it stops.  It seems to respond in jumps... the CTI bar continues but the pictures do not flow.  Hopefuly I am just doing something incorrectly, and I can resolve this so that I can get my project finished. I am very unhappy!!!!

Stevee

• 1. Re: Bogging down
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

What are your project settings (listed under the Edit menu)? Matching project settings to your source video is the key to getting the best performance from the program. If your video is matched to your project settings, you will NOT see yellow lines above your clips on the timeline in Expert view. Is that the case with your project?

Also, have you ensured that your photos are no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size -- and have you rendered your timeline (pressing Enter) whenever you see yellow lines above any clips in Expert view?

• 2. Re: Bogging down
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Westevee,

Also, what is the CPU speed on your laptop?

What OS version are you running, and is it 32-bit, or 64-bit?

What version of PrE are you running?

As Steve G. points out, overlarge Still Images (since all you have right now are Still Images, this is where I would start looking), require great computer resources to handle. Scaling those down to closer to the Frame Size of your intended Video, and your Project, will free up resources.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Bogging down
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>loaded 16 still clips onto the timeline

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 4. Re: Bogging down
                westevee Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for your quick response.  I have not loaded any video onto the time line yet, but when I do it will come from my camera, not a regular camcorder. My camera is a Nikon Coolpix.  My still pictures are definately too large.  One, for instance, is a file that is 6.8 MB.  The image is 46008 x 3456.  So... I clicked on the picture and in the properties I found that "scale to frame size" was checked.  Also, when I went to edit, then preferences, then general, that the "default scale to frame size" was also checked.  I unchecked it, and clicked "ok", but nothing changed.  Does that mean I need to go and re-bring it back to the timeline with it unchecked?  As in... I need to re-do the entire 2 minutes of 16 picutres and all the pan and zooms etc?   If so, what size should I have all my pics?  Is there a setting that I can automatically set so that all the pictures that I import will come in at a manageable size?  What about my project settings?  How should I have those set?  Thanks... I look forward to getting back to my project once I get it right!!

Stevee

• 5. Re: Bogging down
                  westevee Level 1

Bill,

my CPU speed is no longer on a laptop.  I am using a desktop, and it is a 3.10 GHz.  It has a i5 core.  My OS is Windows 8, and it is 64 bit.  The version of PrE is 11, and I just downloaded it. 

My still pictures are definately too large.  One, for instance, is a file that is 6.8 MB.  The image is 46008 x 3456.  So... I clicked on the picture and in the properties I found that "scale to frame size" was checked.  Also, when I went to edit, then preferences, then general, that the "default scale to frame size" was also checked.  I unchecked it, and clicked "ok", but nothing changed.  Does that mean I need to go and re-bring it back to the timeline with it unchecked?  As in... I need to re-do the entire 2 minutes of 16 picutres and all the pan and zooms etc?   If so, what frame size should I have all my pics?  Is there a setting that I can automatically set so that all the pictures that I import will come in at a manageable size?   I look forward to your response so I can once again get back to my project. It has come to a halt until I can fix the problem!!!

• 6. Re: Bogging down

>what frame size

Go back and click the links I provided in #3

• 7. Re: Bogging down
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yep. I agree with John. We've given you all of the answers. You definitely need to resize your photos to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size.

You may also run into problems with video from that Nikon Coolpix -- if the video is MJPEG-AVI, which it likely is. Premiere Elements doesn't do well with MJPEG video.

But your biggest issue is definitely those massive photos!

• 8. Re: Bogging down

If your video is MJPEG, read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/730396