6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2013 11:48 AM by ictusbk1

Changing from letter to A4

ictusbk1

Can indesign change a word document from letter to A4?

• 1. Re: Changing from letter to A4
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign can't do anything to change a Word document. It can PLACE an InDesign document.

Tell us what you're trying to do, and tell us more about your system (InDesign version, operating system).

• 2. Re: Changing from letter to A4
            ictusbk1 Level 1

Thank you for your quick response.

My problem is that I have Word 2010 documents in letter and I'm trying to convert to A4. Word won't let me do this, giving me error messages that my margins are too big. Strangely, some of my documents of the same type can be formatted to A4. These documents are all part of book manuscript which I need to send to Spain, hence the A4 conversion. They contain text and many graphics.

I'm trying to download a trial version of Indesign which is the software the publisher uses to see if I can get around this problem. Can I get around this problem?

Many thanks

• 3. Re: Changing from letter to A4
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In all honesty, the page size shouldn't matter to the publisher for your manuscript -- they don't print your Word file as the book. They should be able to use a "fit to page" command in the printer driver on their end to print out a copy for review.

Did you get some sort of instructions from them saying submit in A4 format?

• 4. Re: Changing from letter to A4
                ictusbk1 Level 1

I was told by the Publisher to make the change in format but without any instructions on how.

• 5. Re: Changing from letter to A4
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If the publisher wants a Word file, you should do the change in Word. If you can't just change the page size, try a Select All, Copy, Paste in a new A4 Word file. Try doing a Save As in Word before anything else to make Word rewrite and clean up the text.

You could get there by importing the Word file into ID, exporting the text as RTF, then opening that in Word, but it's hardly worth the effort.

• 6. Re: Changing from letter to A4
                    ictusbk1 Level 1

The whole doc cut and paste didn't work but when I cut and paste parts of the doc into a new A4 doc, it worked. Time consuming but at least I found a way. Thanks for all your help.