18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 7:35 AM by A.T. Romano

Default to PAL

locarti

How do I get Premiere Elements to defualt to PAL.  Every time I restart the programme it goes back to NTSC ?

Adobe says it works off the region settings for the o/s, but mine are set to UK.

• 1. Re: Default to PAL
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you installed the program, you had the option of setting the defaul to NTSC or PAL. Apparently you left it at NTSC.

Try uninstalling the program and reinstalling it -- but this time selecting the PAL option.

• 2. Re: Default to PAL
            locarti Level 1

No, that didn't work - there is no prompt to select PAL / NTSC on installation.

- it did ask for my adobe id - perhaps something is configured wrong there

- or maybe it is taking the setting from Organizer / Photshop ?

• 3. Re: Default to PAL
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There certainly is the option on my installation. I don't know of any other way to set your default.

• 4. Re: Default to PAL
                A.T. Romano Level 7

locarti

What version of Premiere Elements is involved here? And, on what computer operating system?

Are you entering United Kingdom as your location?

Please refer to the details in this Adobe document on Premiere Elements installation, and then tell us what steps you are missing in the process as it relates to NTSC and PAL.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/install-premiere-elements-photoshop-elements. html

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Default to PAL
                  locarti Level 1

It is a new Mac Mini, I have installed a new Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 that comes in one box (and also seems to install Organiser).

I dont get any choice to enter UK as my location.  in installation I just get a choice of 4 languages: English (North America), French, German, <something in chinese>.

I have reviewed the doc you attached - the options panel does not seem to exist in installation.

Interestingly the Getting Started paper guides for that come with the software only mention the UK setting (both Premiere and Photoshop) and the PAL/NTSC setting (Premiere only) in the Windows installation section - those settings are missing in the Mac installation guidelines.

• 6. Re: Default to PAL
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

locarti

My Elements Windows only status on this is holding me back, but I just came across a Amazon review that talks about how easy it is to install Premiere Elements 11 Mac with a miniMac, using English PAL setup. The question is where is this English PAL setup in your case.

I am wondering if we are involved with "different" versions of the product.

Unless SG has an idea, this is my suggestion. Contact Adobe Chat from the following link and find out what this "English PAL" is all about.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=downloading-installing -and-setting-up

When the link opens, click on the "I still need help" tab to get the Adobe Chat pop up to start the communication.

Hopefully you will get your answer in minutes.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Default to PAL
                      locarti Level 1

So, I spent two hours with Adobe support with them taking over my screen last night, downloading alternative versions of the software directly from the US and through the downloader from the UK.  All behaved the same...

What we know so far is that :-

- the UK / PAL settings during installation were removed in version 11 of Premiere Elements (Mac) [why!!!]

- Adobe thought they had replaced this with code to remember the last project settings used so when you set PAL it stays PAL, but this does not work.  Every time you restart the program it goes back to NTSC.

I have a follow up session with support on Monday !

What I really find strange is that I thought this product had been out a year and yet I seem to be the first person with the problem - perhaps they dont have any sales of Mac Premiere in Europe !!!

• 8. Re: Default to PAL
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

locarti

Thanks for the follow up.

This does not seem right. But I am an Elements Windows person not in the UK. Looking forward to your results from your follow up session with Adobe support on Monday. Adobe seems to be the place to be right now since it can gain access to your Premiere Elements on your computer in your location.

Looking forward to Steve Grisetti's follow up on your latest developments since he has Premiere Elements on Mac as well as Windows.

ATR

• 9. Re: Default to PAL
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Neale (a regular contributor) is also in the UK, so uses PAL constantly, but he's on a PC, so not the setup as the OP here. Ann Bens (another contributor) is in Holland, so PAL, but also on a PC.

Still, I do not recall any UK users reporting the same on a Mac. That is surprising.

I will also be curious to hear how this plays out.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Default to PAL
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt and locarti

For me this is a puzzlement. I am going on what I have read, not what works for me since I do not have Mac computer operating system.

Please check out the Amazon UK (March 20, 2013)  review given by an ID named Old Man Mike....a positive review among some negative ones from others.

Old Man Mike's ingredients to success include "Mac Mini...Premiere Elements 11...English PAL system"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Premiere-Elements-11-Mac/dp/B0090DQ93A

So, then how did this user establish his "English PAL system"?

ATR

• 11. Re: Default to PAL
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

It does appear that at least one UK reviewer, on a Mac-mini, did not have issues with English PAL, as he stated.

Odd indeed,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Default to PAL
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

locarti

I do not recall if I asked before; nonetheless, I will ask as a just in case question.

Did you purchase your Premiere Elements 11 from Adobe or from a Mac App Store as Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Editor or Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Quick Editor?

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Default to PAL
                                  locarti Level 1

ATR,

I purchased my Premiere Elements 11 as a bundle with Photoshop Elements 11 from Amazon - here.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0090DQ980/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However I think this is probably irrelevant since Adobe support have downloaded their 'offical' version from both the US, and through the downloader from the UK to my Mac mini and all three behave the same.

• 14. Re: Default to PAL
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

locarti

Thanks for the additional background information.

Based on your last contact with Adobe, were you ever given an outright answer that the English PAL Mac opportunity exists? Or where you left with, as you wrote, just its thinking rather than a definite yes or no on the can do.

- Adobe thought they had replaced this with code to remember the last project settings used so when you set PAL it stays PAL, but this does not work.  Every time you restart the program it goes back to NTSC.

In view of the fact that you purchased from Amazon, that one Amazon UK review that I pointed to in the prior post is even more interesting.

We will continue to watch for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Default to PAL
                                      locarti Level 1

ATR

'Based on your last contact with Adobe, were you ever given an outright answer that the English PAL Mac opportunity exists? Or where you left with, as you wrote, just its thinking rather than a definite yes or no on the can do'

Adobe support told me that the English PAL Mac opportunity existed and that they would help me by showing me how to do it.  In the 2 hours they took over my Mac they failed to do so.

• 16. Re: Default to PAL
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

locarti

Hopefully the Adobe follow up will reveal the answer to the problem. Next time maybe different rep or same rep who had more time to consult with a supervisor on the situation?

We will be watching for the results from your follow up with Adobe on Monday.

Thanks for the update.

ATR

• 17. Re: Default to PAL
                                          locarti Level 1

So Adobe neever contacted me, and marked my support query as withdrawn.

I guess there is no PAL default despite the fact they originally thought there is, and then set out (unsuccessfully) to demonstrate it to me.

It would have been nice if they'd just admitted their mistake instead of leaving me (and most of Europe) hanging.

• 18. Re: Default to PAL
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

locarti

The decision is yours, but, if your Adobe case was closed by someone else without your knowledge/consent, then I would contact Adobe again and ask for a supervisor.

This would seem a question that a "cannot do" or "can do with how to" reply would be the first step.

Are you within the time limit to request your money back for Premiere Elements if Adobe cannot reply.

Please update us with further developments when you get the chance.

Thanks.

ATR