5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2013 3:42 PM by Peter Spier

need to remove "phantom text"

ceilr

I am using ID from CS5 on a computer running Windows 7 Professional

My book is done!  So I'm cleaning up items sitting on the sidelines that aren't (and don't belong) on the pages to get it ready for the printer.

One bit of text is quite close to the bleed line, and I can't find a way to select and delete it.  The file has two layers, and both are unlocked; I've selected each layer and clicked on the text but cannot grab it.  I went to the Master Pages, but it is not there (if it was, it would show on every page, and it is on just one page).  I held down Ctrl-Shift and clicked on the text, but the box still won't highlight.  (I can select the page numbers on the Master Pages this way, but it's not working on this bit of text.)

I don't think I have ever used the Notes tool, but I clicked on that to see if that might enable selecting the text box, but no dice: the cursor turns into a slashed circle, so I can't use it.  (It would be nice to know how, but that's another subject.....)

Short of simply covering the text up with a white box, how do I get rid of this text?  I am especially concerned about when the .pdf file is made for the printer, because everything reduces some and this text's presence might make it shrink even more.

I hope someone has experienced this before!  Thanks in advance for the help.

• 1. Re: need to remove "phantom text"
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First, if it isn't inside the bleed it won't be in the PDF unless you include slug and it's inside that.

Second, could the object itself be locked? The default preference from CS5 forward is to not allow selection of locked objects (first thing I change).

Is it included when you do a Select All?

• 2. Re: need to remove "phantom text"
            ceilr Level 1

Oh, duh!  Yes, it was locked.  I unlocked the spread and it selected right away.  Many thanks!

Now, about that Notes tool......

• 3. Re: need to remove "phantom text"

Click inside a text frame where you want to leave a note.

I never use it, myself -- leaving notes for yourself is almost as bad as talking to yourself, and if I really need to remember something I add it as a non-pinting object in bright red.

• 4. Re: need to remove "phantom text"
                ceilr Level 1

"A non-printing object in bright red."

Would you give an example, please?  In particular, I have a magazine column and beg the editor NOT to change "its" to "it's" and stuff like that.  Can I write to him with "ink" that won't print?  Do tell!

And thank you for your help today!

• 5. Re: need to remove "phantom text"

Two ways to do it...

Add a layer and set the layer properties to non-printing, put your notes there, OR, make a text frame anywhere, open the Attributes panel, and select the Non-Printing checkbox.

Non-Printing frame.png

This isn't a note, but it is a non-printing frame that was used to put the (modified) title of the chart below (an Illusrtator file) into the TOC. If you squint you can see that the linvisibles layer name is in Italics because the layer is non-printing. I've put the attributes panel in the shot, too so you can see where you would check non-printing if the frame needed to be on a printable layer.

Sadly, nobody noticed the typo and it made it into print on the first edition.