10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2013 7:18 AM by Steven L. Gotz

How to make a lower third with an opacity gradient?

wblumenthal

There is a lower third (name title) I saw while watching a YouTube video that I'd like to replicate in Premiere, in which it features what I would call an opacity gradient, rather than a linear gradient, radial gradient, or 4-color gradient. Here's a link to the very lower third I'm referring to:

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h426/btpayne13/1AE07C32-91AB-4D3B-8A42-2D588B8BB83D-14 72-000000B4B5AD1359_zpsd04cb202.jpg

It appears to have a color stop opacity to it as well, but how can I get the lower third title itself to operate under an opacity gradient?

• 1. Re: How to make a lower third with an opacity gradient?
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Use a 4 color gradient and manipulate the opacity parameter as shown in the short tutorial below:

• 2. Re: How to make a lower third with an opacity gradient?
            wblumenthal Level 1

Thank you! I didn't know you could manipulate color stop opacities for each individual quadrant of the 4-color gradient to achieve this effect. Fantastic.

• 3. Re: How to make a lower third with an opacity gradient?
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I didn't know either, but to be honest, I troll the forums looking for stuff I might be able to figure out. Sometimes I think figuring out stuff is more my hobby that editing or shooting.

Glad to be of service. I am certain that I will benefit from the information myself eventually, as well.

• 4. Re: How to make a lower third with an opacity gradient?
                wblumenthal Level 1

Taking another look at the opacity gradient lower third I referred to, it looks like the gradient doesn't begin to take affect until about 3/4ths of the way down. Up until this point, the opacity remains constant. It's as if they keyframed the opacity gradient to begin only at this point, but I doubt you can keyframe lower-thirds.

However, I just realized there is a way you can achieve this. It may not be the most efficient way, but it's the only method I could muster up and it appears to get the job done. Here's how: because Premiere does not feature a 6-color gradient (which would be ideal for this scenario), instead create two separate 4-color gradients under fill type. First, create one 4-color gradient, then specify each quadrant's color stop opacity all under the same percentage to ensure uniformity, say 60% for all quadrants. (I guess you wouldn't have to use a 4-color gradient for this first uniform lower third, but it may help to use it to visualize what I'm talking about.) Next, create another 4-color gradient and line it up flush with the first gradient. It is with this gradient that you will begin to level off the opacity. Set the color stop opacity of the two quadrants on the side that is flush with the previously created gradient to match the opacity of this first gradient (in this case, it would be 60%). Finally, move on over to the opposite side of this second gradient and pull down the color stop opacity to 0%. Voila.

I'd like to upload a YouTube tutorial to more clearly illustrate step-by-step how to achieve this, as you did, but I've never created screen-capture tutorials before. If I pick up some screen-capture software and post this tutorial, I'll share it on here.

• 5. Re: How to make a lower third with an opacity gradient?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I use a free program called "CamStudio-Recorder" and capture to a rather large Lararith AVI. That edits nicely in Premiere Pro if I decide to edit it, take out errors or Ums and Ahs.

Then I just export to a YouTube preset.

You don't need to get too fancy. Just add a shorter rectangle behind the first one and it will make it look like the opacity starts to fade farther down to the right.

I have to say that I prefer to do this work in After Effects, or for something like this, maybe even Photoshop.

• 6. Re: How to make a lower third with an opacity gradient?
                    Larry Asbell Level 1

Here's a way to make a gradient band from scratch. The first step is a workaround for a bug, that the Text Tool gradient makes too sharp a gradient on a horizotal rectangle.

In the Title Tool, draw a tall thin rectangle, rotate it 90º and stretch it to fill the width of the screen.

Set Fill Type to Linear Gradient, and set the color stops to  your choice of colors.

Drag the "color stop" boxes all the way to the left and right of the color gradient band.

Select the left color stop and set it's opacity to 0.

To vary the gradient further, stretch the rectangle beyond the edge of the frame.

• 7. Re: How to make a lower third with an opacity gradient?
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

The difference between using a linear gradient and the 4 color gradient is minimal, but there is  difference. The top is the 4 color gradient, the bottom the linear gradient. Very subtle but detectable.

Capture.PNG

• 8. Re: How to make a lower third with an opacity gradient?
                        OdiugOdiug

Hello Steven,

i searched very long time for such a video like this, thank you for that!

But i have an question too, you have shown that you have a lot of lowerthirds templates within Premiere Pro, are they came with Premiere or are you buy them separately?

I have made it like you but i have not only one template in my PPCC!

Can i get some for free anywhere to test a little with?

Thanks and Regards

Guido

• 9. Re: How to make a lower third with an opacity gradient?
                          OdiugOdiug Level 1

Hello Steven,

i have found with Lady Google the additional Template Pack.

Thank you anyway

Guido

• 10. Re: How to make a lower third with an opacity gradient?
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Sorry I was too late, but I am glad you found the answer. I have been so very busy lately getting the new house ready.