14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2013 6:10 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type

SamBatman Community Member

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the file type from PowerdDVD.exe to something I can import into PE11.  I have about 40 dvd's that I want to edit and make a new condensed version but can not import.

• 1. Re: What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type
          the_wine_snob Community Member

I am not sure what you are asking here.

CyberLink's PowerDVD.exe is the actual program file.

What is the format of the actual media files, that you wish to Import?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type
            A.T. Romano Community Member

Sam Batman

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

Just what are the properties of this file that you want to import into Premiere Elements 11 and you think you cannot?

If you do not know, please get a properties readout from a free program such as MediaInfo.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

You wrote

I have about 40 dvd's that I want to edit and make a new condensed version but can not import.

If you are saying that you have a bunch of DVD discs with DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen format on them, I see no reason why you cannot rip the VOBs from them in Premiere Elements 11, edit the VOBs there, and burn to disc or export to a file saved to the hard drive there.

Are you aware of the Premiere Elements Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive/Video Importer used in conjunction of the disc in the DVD burner drive tray?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type

No I am not aware of the Premiere Elements Add Media/DVD camera or computer

drive/Video Importer   

I have downloaded http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

And got the following info.

Complete name                            : D:\PDVD_RT.ico

Format                                   : ICO

File size                                : 18.3 KiB

Does this help?

• 4. Re: What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type

To all those that have tried to help me.  I think I may have it sorted.

Because ATR mentioned the Add Media button I went in search and found it

when I opened New Project.  I am now in the process of downloading the files

from the DVD.  Thanks everyone for their help.  Hopefully I can now get

started.

• 5. Re: What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type

To explain what I was doing previously may make more sense to those who are

experienced.  I was going under Albums Import Files.  It is the first day I

have tried to use PE11 so hopefully I get better!  Is there somewhere I can

go to get a tutorial on operating the basics

• 7. Re: What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type

SamBatman

Thanks for the follow up.

There are lots of online links to explore for help navigating the Premiere Elements learning curve.

I find that the Premiere Elements Help PDF is the best initial approach. It is comprehensive and a good source. And, free. If you decide that you want to supplement any of that information with books, I would suggest that you seek those that go to your version. Principles stay the same from version to version, but features do not, often changing, relocating, or disappearing.

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

If you are into using the Elements Organizer which comes with the program, then also

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

But to the immediate issue of what you have on that DVD disc and how to get its contents into Premiere Elements 11 workspace for editing. We need to determine if you have content in DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen format. If you do, then my suggestion of

1. disc in DVD burner tray

2. Add Media/DVD camera or compuer drive

would be applicable.

Your screenshot suggests that you have file or files in .ico format. That is not DVD-VIDEO format. So just to be sure, please place one of your DVD disc in the DVD burner tray, go to Computer, and explore the DVD drive. Do you see at least two folders, at least one being named VIDEO_TS?

I am wondering if I assumed too much when I saw the DVD in your question. So, let me back up and ask for confirmation on

a. What is this "PowerdDVD.exe" representing? Was it the CyberLink PowerDVD software?

and, if so,

b. What was the export from that program, the import exported in DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen format or something else.

c. Until proven otherwise, I do not see CyberLink PowerDVD exporting a file with an .ico file extension. Did someone convert the original files from PowerDVD in transferring them to the DVD disc that you presently have?

2. By any chance is your PowerDVD software referring to this king of software instead, as per this link

http://powerdvd1.software.informer.com/download-powerdvd-icon-ico/

suggesting maybe you are dealing with "icons files" and not video files?

Please review and then we can decide what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type

SamBatman

I have been doing some homework on .ico, if that is what you have.

I do not see that .ico on the supported import formats list, but I read that it is essential a .bmp type.

If that is the case

a. See if the .ico imports. If it does not, try renaming the file extension .ico to .bmp.

or

b. Go for the conversion of the .ico to .png. There are numerous ones to be found online. The one that

caught my attention was the free IrFanView.

http://www.irfanview.com/main_what_is_engl.htm

After conversion from .ico to .png, you could use Add Media/Files and Folder/ to get the files into Project Assets from where you

drag the files to the Expert workspace Timeline.

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type
                        the_wine_snob Community Member

ATR,

Usually (as per your last link), an .ICO file is an "icon" image file, to be used in say a Shortcut, to appear on the Desktop of a PC.

I have the OEM version of CyberLink's PowerDVD (came with my multi-drive), and there is an .EXE file for it. This PowerDVD program is a good DVD software player. I have the commercial version on the workstation (though an older version), but I do not believe that even it can output to any form of file (never had to need to check). I will look into that version, to see what it is capable of. If it CAN output, say from a VIDEO_TS folder loaded into it, I would anticipate that the resulting file might be an .ISO (archived version of the VIDEO_TS folder and its files), but not .ICO.

More when I fire up the workstation later today. I'll try to post my findings, though I do not think they will impact the OP (Original Poster) here, as I believe that others have furnished the methods for Importing from a DVD-Video, if that is what they have.

Hunt

• 10. Re: What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type

Hunt

I think that you will find that CyberLink PowerDVD OEM or commercial version is just a player...unless it has jumped class to a VLC which now offers play back of a variety of formats as well as conversion feature.

As for .iso image playback with PowerDVD, I suspect that you can do that by first mounting the .iso image in a virtual burner drive for playback in the PowerDVD recent. Not sure if older versions of PowerDVD supported that.

We can talk about exports when we look at the CyberLink PowerDirector.

Definitely need details sorted out...icons (.ico) versus video. The odds are tilting toward icon because

a. .ico file extension

and

b. the existance of a powerdvd icon .ico software which probably works for a file whose name might be

powerdvd.exe.

We await further details from SamBatman.

ATR

• 11. Re: What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type

I am very grateful for all the time that both ATR and Hunt have put into my

question, however, please see point 4.  I have been able to import the file

into Premier Elements 11 by creating a new project.  I was only able to do

this by receiving information from the two of you so thanks.  It will now

refer to the Adobe help site you both mention and spend some time there

before proceeding.  Thanks again.

Regards   Sambatman

• 12. Re: What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type

Sam Batman

Thanks for the follow up. It sounds like you have sorted through your Premiere Elements issue and are moving forward.

But, If you have time, out of curisoity, did have .ico files and were you able to import them into Premiere Elements as .ico files?

If you do have .ico files, I have read they are essentially .bmp files. So, if you did import .ico as .ico into Premiere Elements successfully it would be helpful information for all, especially since I do not see .ico on the Premiere Elements Supported Import Formats list.

Thanks.

Continued success.

ATR

• 13. Re: What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type

Hi ATR

I am sure that you have guessed I am only a beginner at all of this.  When I

selected the DVD in the program Media Info it showed the following:  Before

writing this blog I had never even heard of Media Info.

Complete name                            : D:\PDVD_RT.ico

Format                                   : ICO

File size                                : 18.3 KiB

So from this it looks as though it is ICO.  The dvd was made by me using a

programme many years ago that converted vhs tapes to dvd.  When I opened a

new project tab I was able to import the movies directly from the DVD using

the Computer tower DVD player. 

Any more than this I am afraid I cannot tell you.  When I get more

experience I may be able to look into it further but this is all I did.

Is this any help.

Regards

• 14. Re: What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type

SamBatman

Thanks again for the follow up.

As described, I am not familiar with the source that you describe and its usage. But, I will do some homework

on this.

But, very pleased with your success in moving forward with your projects.

ATR