16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 10:37 AM by Noel Carboni

Help finding the right computer

Love Mendocino

I am abouat to buy a new laptop computer and would like some help in finding the right computer for use with Adobe LR5 and Adobe Photoshop CS6.  I am a serious novice/intermediate photographer and a real estate broker.

• 2. Re: Help finding the right computer
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Personally, with the way things are going with Microsoft, I'd suggest some form of Macbook.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Help finding the right computer
            Herbert2001 Level 4

Personally, with the way things are going with Apple, I would suggest anything but a Mac.

:-P

• 4. Re: Help finding the right computer
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Noel Carboni wrote:

Personally, with the way things are going with Microsoft, I'd suggest some form of Macbook.

-Noel

What going wrong over at Microsoft what going right at Apple Which OS version does Adobe software work better on.   I see so many software problems reported here between video driver versions,  Microsoft OS versions, Apple OS versions and Adobe Photoshop versions. I haven't a clue as to which mixture of software and hardware will be best for all workflow's. Win  laptop VS Mac laptops I believe a coin flip may provide the best choice.

Microsoft is not the only company manufacturing  windows laptops. Microsoft does not control hardware and software as much as as much as Apple does.  Some times I wonder why Apple approves Adobe Photoshop for use on Apple's Mac machines.

• 5. Re: Help finding the right computer
                gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After reading in these forums about some Windows 8 graphics bug wreaking havoc in Photoshop, I'm going to wait for either the 8.1 or 9.

My trusty Windows 7 Dell laptop is doing ok.

Dell is pretty cool. They sent a tech to my house to swap out the boards after 2 of my USB 3 ports were not working properly. It was back to normal in less than an hour. Beats those week long waits dropping the old Toshiba at a authorized service center while they got the parts.

What my point for Love should be is to consider the warranty plan of the vendor should something go wrong and backup strategies so your important work files are not on the PC when it happens.

Gene

• 6. Re: Help finding the right computer
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I'm not having any problems here with Windows 8 and a GTX680M.  It took me a wee while to get used to Windows 8, but all the Adobe CC apps run really well.  _really_ well.   The processor is PSQ, and apps open more or less instantly with the twin SSDs in a raid0.  I like it a lot.   (MSI GT70 ONE)

• 7. Re: Help finding the right computer
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

It seems we are entering a dark time for serious computing, and make no mistake, professional image processing with the likes of Adobe Creative Suite software demands serious computing.

My comments are driven by the apparent direction Microsoft is taking, where they don't seem to be able to do more than one thing at a time (even given tens of thousands of engineers) and have gone "all in" on tablet support.  Having carefully evaluated Windows 8, and now Windows 8.1, I can honestly say that they haven't added even one new function or feature that specifically improves life for a person needing serious computing, and in fact are actively deleting things serious computer users need - like Windows Backup (Windows Backup is deprecated in Windows 8, and the GUI for it is removed in Windows 8.1 entirely).

Even with the full weight of Microsoft's marketing engine (the top dog there is a Marketeer), they can't convince the public that Windows 8 is a success story, and much of the hype (e.g., "Windows 8 is faster") is downright bogus.

Thing is, you may not be able to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, so you are married to and stuck with Windows 8.

That said, Windows 8 is not impossible to live with - as Trevor points out.  I've just been a beta tester for a new development of yet another 3rd party tool to help restore functionalty to Windows 8 (something called Aero Glass for Win8).  With an unprecedented effort, you CAN add 3rd party software and configure Windows 8 (.0) to be very nearly as functional as a well-configured Windows 7 system - but it's not BETTER in any way I can discern, and that's alarming!

I can't say the same thing about Windows 8.1 yet.  Microsoft is continuing to alter it in ways that make it less functional than the version it is replacing, without apparent changes for the better to balance the pot.  They clearly thing the desktop is on its way out, and the new big-font one-app-per-screen Metro/Modern interface is the way of the future.  That may work for tablets, but it doesn't make doing serious work any easier.

What I don't understand is how a company like Microsoft can think it's the right thing to change their operating system so that it's very name is no longer descriptive of what it does.  Now, you might expect that they'd split things up - like Apple has done - to where they have one division working on powering toys, and another one continuing to develop a serious OS, but apparently they're not capable of managing that!

Maybe now is a time to just hang in there with what you've got (or get the cheapest throwaway you can find) and wait and see what's coming up in the next few years.  I have a powerful desktop running Windows 7 and that's where I'm staying for a while.

-Noel

• 8. Re: Help finding the right computer
                      JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Noel your a window user yet you suggested Mac OS may be better. Like you I'm a windows user and yes I chose not to go with Windows 8.  I have also read many thread here about Photoshop  problem with different versions of Mac OS mostly with Cat names. And also with Windows version. I don't even think Adobe list Photoshop is supported on Vista yet users state that CS6 works on Vista. So with all the variables involved Photoshop is looking more like a crap shoot.  Adobe is not helping any by not fixing reported bugs.

• 9. Re: Help finding the right computer
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Actually I suggested a MacBook might be a better choice, not that OSX is somehow better than Windows.

-Noel

• 10. Re: Help finding the right computer
                          charles badland Level 4

We have a Macbook Pro and a Macbook Air. Both are very well-made laptops. Beautiful and functional. Photoshop runs fine on both.

• 11. Re: Help finding the right computer
                            nahravka Level 1

Thing is, you may not be able to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, so you are married to and stuck with Windows 8.

There is still possibility to buy new PC Laptop, buy extra WIN 7 oem (cca $ 140.00), load it up, upgrade few drivers (mostly video card), and everything works perfect - oooh, and it's 1/2 price compare to Mac......

• 12. Re: Help finding the right computer
                              Noel Carboni Level 8

And it will last half as long.

-Noel

• 13. Re: Help finding the right computer

I think ADK are doing Adobe app optimised laptops with Windows 7, although they are mainly designed for Premiere Pro

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/laptop.asp

• 14. Re: Help finding the right computer
                                  nahravka Level 1

Noel Carboni wrote:

And it will last half as long.

-Noel

Considering that physical life time expectancy of any laptop (PC & Mac) is in average about 3 years, and many desktop users are still happy with working XP, new PC laptop with WIN7/64 is best investment for next few years - who knows, what is coming next.

• 15. Re: Help finding the right computer

The laptop I have just replaced is six years old, but I got the best spec I could at the time, and later replaced the HDD, maxed out the RAM and installed Win 7 Pro (64 bit).  I didn't try installing Photoshop after CS5.  IIRC Photoshop suddenly got a lot more resource hungry with CS4.  I barely worked (IMO) with the limitations of a 32 bit OS.  It was still reasonably usable though.  Two years after I bought mine (Dell XPS M1710) my camera club bought a bargain laptop, which we still struggle to use four years later.  It _just_about_ runs Powerpoint into an SVGA projector, but only just.   IMO we have a lot to thank the gamers for, because we can now buy laptops with incredible specs for a very reasonable price thanks to the economy of scale they bring to the market.

• 16. Re: Help finding the right computer
                                      Noel Carboni Level 8

My perspective is this:  For my son I've bought two laptops.

The first was a high-end Dell model (well over $3K at the time).  It arrived DOA, was replaced, then required TWO drive replacements, a motherboard replacement, a keyboard replacement, and TWO display adapter replacements over the next 3 years.  Good damned thing I bought the extended warranty!  But loss of his data - twice - was no fun.

The second was a middle-of-the-road Macbook (not Pro, cost like $1200).  It required a power supply cord replacement in the first 4 years, then at 5 years required a drive replacement.

The first computer (that piece of junk Dell Inspiron) primarily sat on his desk here at home.  He did NOT abuse it, or even move it around much.  The second spent some time here, but he took it to college - where he's still using it to this day (I've even asked if he wants a new one).

Is my experience, with one non-Apple laptop vs. one Apple laptop representative?  I don't know, but I can say with authority that this one Apple Macbook was made well.

-Noel